Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2007 Malibu Response Diagnostic connector Location

Hello all, I have a 2007 Malibu Response with a 383 Hammerhead engine. Can anyone please advise me of the location of the diagnostic connector (OBD)? A picture would be perfect if available. I have had the distributor out and need to check the ignition timing. Also, can anyone please advise me of the correct procedure to complete the task or the correct spec? 

Thanks in advance for any help; cheers from Australia; it is a great site you have got going!

The connector should be on the port side, aft of the engine head.  Maybe tucked behind the exhaust hose a bit.

For the procedure to set timing (and everything else about your engine), download the appropriate MEFI service manual for your version.  I always get these wrong, but I think yours is MEFI-5.  If you can't find the Indmar manual the PCM version will do fine.

https://marinepowerusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/5.0L-5.7L-MEFI-4-Service-Manual.pdf

The MEFI5 ECM and High Voltage Switch (HVS/distributor) doesn't really have an adjustable timing.  Timing is done by the ECM. 

The HVS is initially installed by turing the engine over so the timing mark on the front crankshaft vibration dampner is lined up with the timing chain cover bracket timing mark with the cylinder 1 piston at TDC on the compression stroke.  With the HVS removed, turn the shaft until the dimple below the gear is lined up with the paint mark on the housing above the gear.  Turn the oil pump drive shaft with a standard screwdriver so the tang is aligned with the HVS drive shaft.  Face the HVS housing toward the front of the engine and install the HVS and hold down clamp.  Once the HVS is seated, turn the housing so the rotor points at the "8" cast into the HVS base.  Tighten the hold down clamp bolt, install the HVS cap, and plug in the cam position sensor to the engine harness. 

The diagnostic link connector (DLC) is clipped to the side of the ECM bracket near the main engine harness connector. 

Use a laptop with Diacom diagnostic software, the Diacom cable, and CAN adaptor to connect to the DLC.  With the engine running at 1200 RPM or higher, adjust the cam angle to 705 degrees, + or - 5 degrees (700-710 deg cam angle).  That will prevent ignition cross fire in the HVS.