Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Diamond predecessor hull?

SkipGundlach

SkipGundlach

I'm looking at this crossover; my son wants a close-to-ski-boat wake at ski speeds, and OK-to-learn Wakeboard wake at low speeds.

The Diamond hull seems to be universally applauded for ski wakes. (See https://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php?/forums/topic/16117-diamond-vs-wake/&do=findComment&comment=256623 for great Diamond pic)

Will this boat satisfy a talented amateur (maybe course work) skier?  This boat has a similar, though not nearly as rounded, and perhaps not as deep, chine at the topsides/bilge joint. 

https://www.onlyinboards.com/1999-Malibu-Wakesetter-for-sale-Madison-Wisconsin-149906.aspx has a pretty good pic of the stern...

Thanks!

L8R

Skip and Michael

Edited by SkipGundlach

That's a great find.

The tower will help with wakeboarding, teaching someone to get up, and barefooting (although a boom is better for the last two).  However that particular boat does not have a wedge, so it may not produce what you want in bigger wakes.  Adding a wedge is easy enough if you can find one.

The boat should do fine for slalom.  Keep in mind that it does not have a center pylon, so the pull through a course will not be exactly the same.  It would certainly pull me through a course, but it really depends on how talented your amateur is.

I say forget about surfing behind your boat and just drive to the beach to surf.  Get a foil and have a great time behind a great boat with a much smaller wake.  Then you don't have to sink the boat trying to get a huge wake.

That's a wake hull.  Malibu's first diamond hull V drive was the 2001 Sunsetter VLX.  Every V before that was on the SV23 hull, which became known as the "wake" hull.

OP, given the criteria, I'd strongly encourage you to look at a direct drive.  Sunsetter LXi is the perfect boat for what your son is looking for IMO.  It's far easier to make a direct drive boat into an OK wakeboard boat than it is to make a V drive into a great slalom boat.  Unless you find an '01 to '04 Sunsetter VLX/Sunscape 21 LSV.  I doubt you'll find a Sunscape 20 LSV or VTX in the price range you've indicated, as those are newer boats.

Even those V drives I listed have large wakes at 30 MPH and below.  It's not until around 34 MPH, 28 off and 32 off that I really can't tell a difference between my dad's '01 VLX and my '01 Response.

Something like this would ski amazingly well, has enough seating and freeboard to be comfortable as an "everyday" boat, and can wakeboard reasonably well with the wedge down and a fly-hi extended pylon.  Only blemish I see on this boat is some cracked vinyl on the sunpad, which is expected for a boat of this vintage.  https://www.onlyinboards.com/2001-Malibu-Sunsetter-LXI-for-sale-Minster-Ohio-161465.aspx

Edited by UWSkier
  • Like 4
SkipGundlach

The issue is that this is an interim boat.

We don't know what the kids will prefer; they've not had a boat...

So, reasonably good in both categories as they decide, then a specific-to-preference boat in a couple of years when they're teens.

In the meantime WE want to ski ☺

SkipGundlach
Posted (edited)

About to go on a zoom call but just a comment on the recommended boat: it's the engine in the middle which is the stumbling block, literally, let alone a garrotte for those in the rear☺

Edited by SkipGundlach

The V-drive shown looks really clean. Would be nice to see the engine bay. Sounds about right for your needs. It looks like the wake hull. Don't let that even enter the equation for what you are doing though. The diamond is almost negligible to me unless 34mph or above and quite short-line. 

SkipGundlach
Posted (edited)

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Steve B. said:

The V-drive shown looks really clean. Would be nice to see the engine bay. Sounds about right for your needs. It looks like the wake hull. Don't let that even enter the equation for what you are doing though. The diamond is almost negligible to me unless 34mph or above and quite short-line. 

No engine room but the rep took a closeup of the stern quarter:

Still no-effect opinion?  Looks like a very nice boat at the price...

spacer.png

Edited by SkipGundlach

Definitely the wake hull. Can you take it for a test ski? That's the only way you'll know if it's okay for you.

edit: Didn't notice till now that the boat is in Wisconsin, so skiing probably a no-go. That DD Sunsetter UWSkier posted looks gorgeous too. But is a DD, and if you have a full family, the layout may not work great for you with the tow rope in the middle of the boat. One other thing I like about the V-drive boat is the gauges. They look CLEAN for that age. My guess is replaced. Most of those vintage gauges fail by this time. Have you seen that boat in person?

Edited by Steve B.
added thought
SkipGundlach
38 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

Definitely the wake hull. Can you take it for a test ski? That's the only way you'll know if it's okay for you.

(clip)

Have you seen that boat in person?

No, to any, so far, other than one without a trailer and a negligent mechanic's huge oil spill (like he changed the oil and cooling water into the bilge).

If my son gets serious about any boat, we'll ask for detailed pix; a sale would involve his flying to the closest airport to come see it personally, and then arrange shipping if he buys it, so it's a process.