Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rig Christmas gift/electric trailer winch?

Steve B.

The trailer winch on my '02 Sunsetter is original I'm not getting any younger and maybe looking for a project. Less work at the ramp several times a week sounds nice. Thinking of upgrading from the original hand winch to an battery powered electric. Just started thinking about something like this. Any thoughts appreciated.

Super cheap electric winch

I always power load, so the winch just has to take up the slack and snug the bow eye against the stop.  Fairly effortless.

• Like 2

My dad did one for his Robalo trailer.  It wasn’t cheap, but it works fantastic.  He ended up rigging an external jumper cable type connection like found on tow trucks to the trailer and it had a wireless remote. 

You might be surprised if you go to a proper size winch. Makes that last two feet night and day easier. Most of these boat trailers come with winches that are barely rated for a small aluminum fishing boat. 

Ya, it's the last two feet. Fulton does have the nice two speed 3200lb, but for not too many more dollars an electric could be made to work.

Thanks !

11 hours ago, justgary said:

I always power load, so the winch just has to take up the slack and snug the bow eye against the stop.  Fairly effortless.

My 2001 vlx had one of these on the trailer post, you could power on until the spring pin engaged, 

https://waterskis.com/boat-buddy-trailer-guide/

I upgraded to the 2 stage Fulton winch on our 25lsv and winching the last 2 feet is much easier. This should be a stock option for the heavier boats for sure

• Like 2

Ok, I did some digging.  For Dad’s winch, he installed a snow plow prep circuit kit from GM in his 2020 diesel Silverado.  It was basically a buss bar and mega fuse in the power distribution panel under the hood.  He then ran a heavy (like 3/0) power and a battery ground cable set to the back of the truck, to a 175 amp battery connector.   This protected the circuit on the truck side, and it has about 4’ of cable to the winch on the trailer.  The remote connects wirelessly when the winch is plugged in and the remote is switched on. As for the winch, it’s an 8k pound marine design with a nylon strap.   It was from Australia at the time but it looks like others may be available more readily in the US now.  His boat is 12k lbs dry, and this pulls it up on the roller trailer with ease.  

Thanks Nick55. Can't find this on their website directly, but appears to be available all over the net. Seemingly very affordable. Watching the video, one big plus is the rotating hook. This may be a no brainer.

Electric boat winch

Ok, that looks like a smaller version of what he used, but for a smaller boat, I’d say that will work just fine.  His was it a Fulton but very similar.  While you’re at it, you should just add a power distribution block on the trailer and put a power jack on it too!   

What’s the eye rated for on the boat? I would be a little worried without the feedback from my motion on damaging the boat. 

Add a ramp and clamp or whatever that automatic bow latch is.   On Dad’s trailer, the winch pulls the eye up to the bottom of the V pad and you stop.  Then you secure the bow with a strap for towing so the winch isn’t holding the load the whole time.  

5 hours ago, Nick55 said:

Add a ramp and clamp or whatever that automatic bow latch is.   On Dad’s trailer, the winch pulls the eye up to the bottom of the V pad and you stop.  Then you secure the bow with a strap for towing so the winch isn’t holding the load the whole time.  

Love my RampNclamp!image.png.100777422da4d978055eb00eb8ea2286.png

I have the Boat Buddy on my old Supra Boatmate trailer.  It works great, been tossing around putting an R&C on this trailer for the Malibu.  Need to replace the beyond pathetically anemic winch first though. 

13 hours ago, stang233 said:

What’s the eye rated for on the boat? I would be a little worried without the feedback from my motion on damaging the boat. 

I would expect that you could lift the entire boat by the bow eye and not hurt it.

12 hours ago, Nick55 said:

I have the Boat Buddy on my old Supra Boatmate trailer.  It works great, been tossing around putting an R&C on this trailer for the Malibu.  Need to replace the beyond pathetically anemic winch first though. 

They have changed the name and advertising. Still the same manufacturer in the good ole USA.

https://www.boat2trailerhookup.com/g1/?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAqNSsBhAvEiwAn_tmxQMxhdAnsTWLyHq6Qw7So-7DBABdf9NUNEmBJOnbk-F04fQQIzS5xRoCxqAQAvD_BwE