Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1999 Response 20 Intermittent Not Starting Issue

JoeWillie

I have an intermittent issue, that started a month ago when out skiing, thankfully close to the house when I turned the engine off for a few minutes, turned the key, engine turns over, but won't start. I had replaced the Medallion 6607-20008-01 about 10 years ago, and am hoping its not that ($1650 from Bakes). 

Intermittent starting issue: Every two or three times I turn the key 1st click right, neither the gauges nor fuel pump power up. However, the 4th turn, gauges motor up, fuel pump turns, and engine starts right up. Note: regardless of gauges and fuel pump activating, the engine turns over 100% of the time, when I turn the key.

Has anyone else dealt with this type of intermittent starting issue, and what was your solution?      

One possibility is the key switch itself. You could take one jumper wire or alligator clip and verify it by going under the dash and bypassing the switch itself to see if it duplicates or not.

Using this picture, use alligator clips to jump terminal 1 to terminal 3 to get your instruments and fuel pump key-up.  Use another wire to then jump terminal 1 to terminal 4 to engage the starter.  If you can do this a few times with no issues then it's your key switch.

Ignition-Switch-Terminal.jpg

• Like 3

I chased a similar problem and had to replace my relays on my 2003 LS1.  I have 3 relays and I suspected it was the one for my fuel pump.  They are cheap enough I just replaced all 3.

Also might want to check your lanyard if you have one.

Keep us posted.

Low system voltage and loose or corroded electrical connections are a common cause of intermittent starting issues, so start by checking the condition of the battery.  Some of the connections to check are on the battery, starter solenoid, engine block grounds, dash keyswitch, and engine harness plug.  Occasionally, a faulty kill switch or distributor ignition module (or pickup coil) can cause a crank-no-start problem.  There are many threads here about ignition module failures to look at 

Edited by csleaver
  • Like 2
22 hours ago, JoeWillie said:

I have an intermittent issue, that started a month ago when out skiing, thankfully close to the house when I turned the engine off for a few minutes, turned the key, engine turns over, but won't start. I had replaced the Medallion 6607-20008-01 about 10 years ago, and am hoping its not that ($1650 from Bakes). 

Intermittent starting issue: Every two or three times I turn the key 1st click right, neither the gauges nor fuel pump power up. However, the 4th turn, gauges motor up, fuel pump turns, and engine starts right up. Note: regardless of gauges and fuel pump activating, the engine turns over 100% of the time, when I turn the key.

Has anyone else dealt with this type of intermittent starting issue, and what was your solution?      

22 hours ago, formulaben said:

One possibility is the key switch itself. You could take one jumper wire or alligator clip and verify it by going under the dash and bypassing the switch itself to see if it duplicates or not.

Using this picture, use alligator clips to jump terminal 1 to terminal 3 to get your instruments and fuel pump key-up.  Use another wire to then jump terminal 1 to terminal 4 to engage the starter.  If you can do this a few times with no issues then it's your key switch.

Ignition-Switch-Terminal.jpg

Thank you! I really appreciate the great trouble shooting info. and the detailed image too! I'll be back in FL (boats home) in 2-3 weeks, will keep you posted.

16 hours ago, MalibuNation said:

I chased a similar problem and had to replace my relays on my 2003 LS1.  I have 3 relays and I suspected it was the one for my fuel pump.  They are cheap enough I just replaced all 3.

Keep us posted.

I'll look into the relays if it's not the key terminal, and thank you! Will keep you posted.

17 hours ago, MalibuNation said:

Keep us posted.

where are these 3 relays on the LS1?  thanks :)

23 hours ago, JoeWillie said:

check the grounds under the dash.  Also check the grounds on your battery and key switch.   It might be that simple and I don't think it's a computer as they usually completely die.    Have you checked voltage on your battery and also at the key switch?

17 hours ago, MalibuNation said:

Keep us posted.

Thanks and will keep you updated!

16 hours ago, Steve B. said:

This is part of the coolness in the journey. You learn where every wire goes and why, and the quality of that system. Take your time. Make it better than new. Enjoy.

THIS.

"Intermittent starting issue: Every two or three times I turn the key 1st click right, neither the gauges nor fuel pump power up."

and "Occasionally, a faulty kill switch..."

If nothing cycles when you turn the key on, but it will crank, as stated, good chance that your kill switch might be the problem. They start to fail... the red keeper part doesn't plunge/or pull the kill switch all the way. When in failure mode, leave the key on, take the red keeper off and shove the switch all the way if it's a push or pull it out all the way if it's a pull. If your gauges then cycle, your kill switch is the issue.

You can wire around it as a test.

Edited by GaleK
  • Like 2