Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2024 Wagoneer L

SurfMI

12 hours ago, IXFE said:

That ramp is kinda tight and steep, but I’ve been on many others like it.  It had good traction and wasn’t wet or slippery. The Yukon just was too light!  The boat dragged it down that ramp! It was stressful for sure (I was in the boat, @Slayer in the Yukon)  

We’re laughing here and having a good time remembering that trip. But jokes aside, it really was the trip that convinced me I was done with 1/2 tons (and especially short wheel base SUV’s) forever. It was my first season with a 25 which really flipped the physics of towing against me. The combination of the short wheel base (a lot shorter than the 25 on the trailer) and the weight (a lot lighter than the 25) was too much for my comfort level. We towed the boat 14 hours from DFW to Norris Lake in NE Tennessee. Even though that trip is mostly flat, it was a “white knuckle” experience (tail wagging the dog). Also, the small gas tanks in the 1/2 ton SUVs are not conducive to towing long distances. Ask @Stevo how we learned that lesson! 

(Tail wagging the dog) I have towed my LSV23 at 7,250lbs with both my 1/2ton Titan and an Armada. There is definitely an advantage to the longer wheelbase of the truck over the SUV. The truck never wags and that Armada was often wagged by the tail. By the way, any wheelspin when pulling boat out of the same ramp? Don't fret the backslide, it will stop when boat hits the water!!!!!! Just make sure your good and lined up before it starts. Who doesn't like a little excitement? What is your loaded boat weight compared to your heavy duty truck?

Edited by dalt1
10 hours ago, dalt1 said:

(Tail wagging the dog) I have towed my LSV23 at 7,250lbs with both my 1/2ton Titan and an Armada. There is definitely an advantage to the longer wheelbase of the truck over the SUV. The truck never wags and that Armada was often wagged by the tail. By the way, any wheelspin when pulling boat out of the same ramp? Don't fret the backslide, it will stop when boat hits the water!!!!!! Just make sure your good and lined up before it starts. Who doesn't like a little excitement? What is your loaded boat weight compared to your heavy duty truck?

2015 Yukon Denali 4x4

Curb Weight: 5,746 lbs. (boat = 157% of Yuk)

Payload: 1,554 lbs. (tongue = 58% of Payload)

Length: 204” (boat = 1.8x longer than Yuk)

Wheelbase: 116”

Fuel Tank: 26 gallons

2017 Ford F-250 Super Crew Lariat 4x4

Curb Weight: 6,478 lbs. (boat = 139% of F250)

Payload: 3,450 lbs. (tongue = 26% of Payload)

Length: 250” (boat = 1.4x longer than F250)

Wheelbase: 160”

Fuel Tank: 34 gallons

NOTE: I used that 2017 25 LSV in these comparisons. It was 360” on the trailer (incl tongue and platform), and it weighed aprox 9,000 lbs. 

So which spec matters the most?

Curb weight: I honestly think this matters the least of the three!  My first F250 was only 732 lbs heavier than that Yukon, but hey, it’s still something!

Wheelbase: I’d put this at second. Before we got that Yukon, we had an older Yukon XL, and I immediately noticed a difference going just 14” shorter. So having a wheelbase that’s almost 4’ longer is massive!

Payload: This is number one, imho. 3,450 lbs vs. 1,554 lbs. is an epic difference. Payload tells me how well the rig can absorb the load of people, gear, and tongue weight (which can be close to 1,000 lbs alone). Said another way, a vehicle running at 60% of its payload capacity will feel a lot different than one at 130% of its capacity (I used aprox 2,000 lbs as my numerator… it’s easy to get there, or worse, with family and gear along for the ride).

Hopefully that answers your question and helps the OP. 

Finally, not that it matters, but I now tow with a 2022 F-350 that has 4,260 lbs payload. And if I could swing it, I’d go long bed like my good pal @Stevo cuz he gets another 16” of wheelbase and a 48 gallon tank! 

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, IXFE said:

2015 Yukon Denali 4x4

Curb Weight: 5,746 lbs. (boat = 157% of Yuk)

Payload: 1,554 lbs. (tongue = 58% of Payload)

Length: 204” (boat = 1.8x longer than Yuk)

Wheelbase: 116”

Fuel Tank: 26 gallons

2017 Ford F-250 Super Crew Lariat 4x4

Curb Weight: 6,478 lbs. (boat = 139% of F250)

Payload: 3,450 lbs. (tongue = 26% of Payload)

Length: 250” (boat = 1.4x longer than F250)

Wheelbase: 160”

Fuel Tank: 34 gallons

NOTE: I used that 2017 25 LSV in these comparisons. It was 360” on the trailer (incl tongue and platform), and it weighed aprox 9,000 lbs. 

So which spec matters the most?

Curb weight: I honestly think this matters the least of the three!  My first F250 was only 732 lbs heavier than that Yukon, but hey, it’s still something!

Wheelbase: I’d put this at second. Before we got that Yukon, we had an older Yukon XL, and I immediately noticed a difference going just 14” shorter. So having a wheelbase that’s almost 4’ longer is massive!

Payload: This is number one, imho. 3,450 lbs vs. 1,554 lbs. is an epic difference. Payload tells me how well the rig can absorb the load of people, gear, and tongue weight (which can be close to 1,000 lbs alone). Said another way, a vehicle running at 60% of its payload capacity will feel a lot different than one at 130% of its capacity (I used aprox 2,000 lbs as my numerator… it’s easy to get there, or worse, with family and gear along for the ride).

Hopefully that answers your question and helps the OP. 

Finally, not that it matters, but I now tow with a 2022 F-350 that has 4,260 lbs payload. And if I could swing it, I’d go long bed like my good pal @Stevo cuz he gets another 16” of wheelbase and a 48 gallon tank! 

And I need every bit of that 48gallons

11 hours ago, IXFE said:

Funny you say this.  If I had to do it all over again, knowing what I know now, I would have kept the long bed I ordered when I ordered my Tremor.  It would have been a PITA as a DD, but I think I could have lived with it.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Slayer said:

It would have been a PITA as a DD, but I think I could have lived with it.

My wife will not take our F350 4d long box downtown.  It's a bear to park.  I am glad it eats up curbs and parking bumpers, she just shakes her head when she rides with me, you always have an approach whether the curb is cut or not. I do love that large tank, though I do have to put the credit card in three times when fuel prices are high.

On 1/8/2024 at 6:38 AM, dalt1 said:

By the way, any wheelspin when pulling boat out of the same ramp? Don't fret the backslide, it will stop when boat hits the water!!!!!! Just make sure your good and lined up before it starts. Who doesn't like a little excitement?

You must have bigger clackers than me.  I hate the helpless feeling of being drug down the ramp.  With my Expedition and the '06 23lsv I would have issues on steep wet ramps going in or out.  You gotta do it though, are you really going to drive home because of a slick ramp?  That's how things would go sideways, literally.  Never had to get pulled up and out, but had to turn off traction control, engage the diff lock, pucker up and say a little prayer.  The thought of getting pulled out by a Dodge with a big exhaust tip and no mud flaps would make me shutter.  I always felt it was good to go on the highway though, wet ramps were my only issue.  

I will not be hooking up the 25lsv to the Expedition.

8 hours ago, wakesonthesnake said:

My wife will not take our F350 4d long box downtown.  It's a bear to park.  I am glad it eats up curbs and parking bumpers, she just shakes her head when she rides with me, you always have an approach whether the curb is cut or not. I do love that large tank, though I do have to put the credit card in three times when fuel prices are high.

You must have bigger clackers than me.  I hate the helpless feeling of being drug down the ramp.  With my Expedition and the '06 23lsv I would have issues on steep wet ramps going in or out.  You gotta do it though, are you really going to drive home because of a slick ramp?  That's how things would go sideways, literally.  Never had to get pulled up and out, but had to turn off traction control, engage the diff lock, pucker up and say a little prayer.  The thought of getting pulled out by a Dodge with a big exhaust tip and no mud flaps would make me shutter.  I always felt it was good to go on the highway though, wet ramps were my only issue.  

I will not be hooking up the 25lsv to the Expedition.

I guess we are lucky with ramp angles but would think they would be close to most around the country. I never have to use 4 wheel drive or spin a tire pulling out. I use at least 4 or 5 different ramps a year in TN. Even with my new boat @ 8,660 lbs loaded using my 1/2 ton @ 6,120 lbs, I don't spin unless I WANT to. Granted your 25 footer is probably 1,500 lbs heavier than mine. No back slide unless I get frisky on the reverse. I do have E/H brakes on trailer if needed but never have yet.

1 hour ago, dalt1 said:

I guess we are lucky with ramp angles but would think they would be close to most around the country.

It is night and day from one place to another around here.  My normal two or three launches are as you describe, however when we travel it is a roll of the dice.  Had a really bad one in Idaho last year and did not have an option within 45 min, would never have made it with a 25' boat and the Expedition.  Or any half ton platform I would guess, everyone was spinning.   I am looking at E/H because of the grades on the highways, I hate the trailer brakes heating up on the long descents.

The 89 Wagoneer I posted on page 2 was my actual rig about 10 years ago. I frequent two different ramps, one short and not too steep and one vary long, vary steep and narrow. the first time I launched that VLX with the Wagoneer on the steep ramp the front discs locked up and the rear drums would not stop the descent. Fortunately it stayed stright until I hit the water. cool only goes so far. I bought a Tahoe shortly after that.

9 hours ago, dalt1 said:

I guess we are lucky with ramp angles but would think they would be close to most around the country. I never have to use 4 wheel drive or spin a tire pulling out. I use at least 4 or 5 different ramps a year in TN. Even with my new boat @ 8,660 lbs loaded using my 1/2 ton @ 6,120 lbs, I don't spin unless I WANT to. Granted your 25 footer is probably 1,500 lbs heavier than mine. No back slide unless I get frisky on the reverse. I do have E/H brakes on trailer if needed but never have yet.

Must be good ramps.  Here in Arizona, I'll spin the tires on my half ton or 3/4 ton with diff lockers, meaning both rears are spinning, just pulling my Response out.  Never NEEDED 4wd, but always use it.

Now that I think of it, I'll spin pulling out the empty trailer, and sometimes I slide down the ramp on my feet like I'm on ice when I'm walking down the ramp to winch the boat up the last few feet.  The lake levels fluctuate here a bit so things get slick.

Edited by UWSkier
  • Like 1

Up the block from me at a high end used car place is a '22 Wagoneer L, Hemi. One of the most luxurious interiors I've seen. Anyway, looks like it would be awesome for lighter weight ski boats. Asking 48. We use a fair amount of ramps in Ohio and thankful they are all gentle and easy. I still plop the SUV into low gear and just literally idle out. Steepest ramp I've used I think is at the Clarion river in PA. Yikes.