Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2024 Wagoneer L

SurfMI

11 hours ago, Sparky450 said:

And another one that said the 1/2 ton was fine.
Until he pulled with a HD.!😎😎

And yet I am another that uses a half ton and has no plans on moving up. I do have E/H brakes though and consider that being what keeps me comfortable. I'm not towing in the mountains but do the hills on 40 east headed to Norris lake from Nashville.

I mean realistically we'd probably all love to have a big HD truck to tow the boats around with ease, but the majority of us use that vehicle 95% of the time for purposes that an HD truck is not optimal.  Hard to justify a $90k+ truck when a $60k truck does the job as well or better for 95% of your needs.  

• Like 2

A new GM half ton starts at $36k.  A new GM HD starts at $43k.  When you start adding things like interior options and electronics the options don't generally cost more on the HD trucks.   Apples to apples on options an HD truck costs about $7K more, which you generally get back when you sell/trade it.   Adding the big diesel is about an extra $11k but it's both unnecessary in most use cases and also totally worth it.  

Edited by jjackkrash
59 minutes ago, jjackkrash said:

A new GM half ton starts at $36k.  A new GM HD starts at $43k.  When you start adding things like interior options and electronics the options don't generally cost more on the HD trucks.   Apples to apples on options an HD truck costs about $7K more, which you generally get back with you sell/trade it.   Adding the big diesel is about an extra $11k but its both unnecessary in most use cases and also totally worth it.  

This!!  

When I ordered my F250 Tremor in 2021 (MY 2022) the difference between it and the F150 similarly equipped was only $3,500.  That's what sealed the deal for me.  Granted, I have a gasser, but it works for my use case because it's my DD and my commute is 12 miles each way and I don't regularly tow heavy.  I have all the benefits of a truck and I'm 100% confident towing my boat anywhere.  I wouldn't give it up.  My truck was nowhere near $90k FWIW.

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV

Definitely true if you stick to the gas HD power trains. You can build them very very similar in price, if not the same. I spec’d a 2024 Sierra elevation to the same build my current 1500 is and it was 64k msrp. For grins I tried to build a 2500 to have the same options and features as the 1500. In the SLE trim package I was able to build the truck exactly the same except for front bucket seats for 64k msrp. I know what I’m doing if I don’t keep my current truck.

In the long run a f350 platinum is the most cost effective truck if you’re flipping them. So many guys I know buy them over a lariat as they hold their value exceptionally well. Especially being Canadian and selling them across the border. 

36 minutes ago, ahopkins22LSV said:

Definitely true if you stick to the gas HD power trains. You can build them very very similar in price, if not the same. I spec’d a 2024 Sierra elevation to the same build my current 1500 is and it was 64k msrp. For grins I tried to build a 2500 to have the same options and features as the 1500. In the SLE trim package I was able to build the truck exactly the same except for front bucket seats for 64k msrp. I know what I’m doing if I don’t keep my current truck.

That was my experience when I bought my HD in June also.  Stuck with the gasser and got a mostly loaded LTZ for under $70k.  I gave up the HUD, sunroof which I never used on my previous truck, and multi-pro tailgate.  Standard boards instead of power, which I thought I'd miss from the old truck but do not.

Side note, I have had an HD truck as a daily since around 2009.  I have had a DRW since 2019.  I do have other options in the driveway right now to use when the DRW is less practical but I am also downsizing and may be down to just the DRW in a bit unless I swap with the wife or boy.  The last vehicle I will ever give up is the DRW and my opinion is there is little to no difference in daily driving an SRW HD truck with the short bed versus a 1500 as far as ride quality and access to things like parking.    I'll concede an 8 foot bed is more useful but less convenient for parking and turn radius.  

1 hour ago, jjackkrash said:

Side note, I have had an HD truck as a daily since around 2009.  I have had a DRW since 2019.  I do have other options in the driveway right now to use when the DRW is less practical but I am also downsizing and may be down to just the DRW in a bit unless I swap with the wife or boy.  The last vehicle I will ever give up is the DRW and my opinion is there is little to no difference in daily driving an SRW HD truck with the short bed versus a 1500 as far as ride quality and access to things like parking.    I'll concede an 8 foot bed is more useful but less convenient for parking and turn radius.  

I don't necessarily agree with the bold.  My 2016 Denali would fit into the parking garage at the airport whereas the HD is too tall, had a tighter turning radius, had better power steering boost at low speeds, better low speed brake modulation/control over the transmission, and had a better ride over road whoops that toss the truck around, but comparable over most "bumps."  BUT, towing the travel trailer with the HD is just so much more comfortable, it's all worth it.

It was probably an over exaggeration sure, but I can't imagine driving an F250 gasser around at 13mpg for 25k a year as opposed to 19+mpg for the F150 so I can have a little nicer pull 10x a year.  Now I'll admit, I really drool at the thought of a new HD diesel, so really this is just trying to talk myself out of it.

Not to mention that the OP stated an HD truck wasn't an option to start the thread :lol:

Edited by kstateskier1

you will be fine. Your area is mostly flat and it sounds like only a couple long trips. 

If you have the option, it is a good idea to get a triple axle trailer to help balance out the weight and reduce tongue weight. Plus it gives you an extra set of brakes.

You should also consider EoH just for added safety. 

That being said, we have a 2022 Wagoner with the 5.7l e-Torque Semi. We have the heavy duty trailer package and we have the load leveling suspension (worth it). We pull an M220 over 2 Mountian passes multiple times a summer. This includes traveling across 'the plains' where it gets windy. 

I have the triple axle trailer, but did not get the EoH (wish I did). 

The Wagoner has plenty of pulling & stopping power. It also never has an issue with Transmission temps (something both of my previous Denali's had issues with). 

The ONLY complaint I have is that (as expected) when pulling up the Mountian passes, it will keep speed, but will be screaming and will gulp gas. 

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, kstateskier1 said:

It was probably an over exaggeration sure, but I can't imagine driving an F250 gasser around at 13mpg for 25k a year as opposed to 19+mpg for the F150 so I can have a little nicer pull 10x a year.  Now I'll admit, I really drool at the thought of a new HD diesel, so really this is just trying to talk myself out of it.

Not to mention that the OP stated an HD truck wasn't an option to start the thread :lol:

After all the discussion on here I’m wondering if I can figure out a way to fit an HD truck into the corporate policy. Especially considering the Wagoneer I have spec’d out is pushing +$80k MSRP, I could get a solid HD truck at that price :lol:

Edited by SurfMI
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, kstateskier1 said:

When has that ever stopped us from derailing things? It's winter...

🤣

14 hours ago, SurfMI said:

After all the discussion on here I’m wondering if I can figure out a way to fit an HD truck into the corporate policy. Especially considering the Wagoneer I have spec’d out is pushing +$80k MSRP, I could get a solid HD truck at that price :lol:

Or less.  

14 hours ago, kstateskier1 said:

To each their own.  Everyone has the choice and for me, I didn't buy the truck for fuel economy.  And, my prior F150 never saw 19MPG because of how it was configured with max tow and max payload packages.  The latter of which is no longer available in the 1/2 ton Ford thereby providing me with yet another reason to go to an HD.  

• Like 2
On 1/4/2024 at 8:40 AM, windy1 said:

IMG_0127.thumb.JPG.a7fb87f6cefbadc04251199dd4743414.JPG

Cool pic, but that’s not really what the OP is contemplating.  He’s talking about a lightweight 1/2 ton SUV with a short wheel base towing a modern 25 foot surf barge. These pics of mine are closer to reality. FYI… @Slayer almost met his maker on this ramp.

Apologies for the age of these pics (2017). I only attempted this once; I owned an HD truck a month later (and have ever since). 

IMG_6663.jpeg

IMG_6800.jpeg

Edited by IXFE
2 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Cool pic, but that’s not really what the OP is contemplating.  He’s talking about a lightweight 1/2 ton SUV with a short wheel base towing a modern 25 foot surf barge. These pics of mine are closer to reality. FYI… @Slayer almost met his maker on this ramp.

Apologies for the age of these pics (2017). I only attempted this once; I owned an HD truck a month later (and have ever since). 

IMG_6663.jpeg

IMG_6800.jpeg

I wasn’t at the launch ramp when it went in the water there, I was tracking down a Hobbit and trying to find our VRBO, but I hear the boat dragged that Denali several feet down that ramp.

11 minutes ago, IXFE said:

IMG_6663.jpeg

IMG_6800.jpeg

I remember this well!  The boat dragged the Yukon right down the ramp.  I remember telling you to start it immediately and get off the trailer.  Thankfully you had help in the boat to unhook the strap from the bow eye!!  While @Stevo was chasing down the Hobbit, I was cleaning my drawers!

2 seasons ago I was at the same ramp with my 23LSV and F150.  That experience wasn't awesome either.  I wouldn't attempt that ramp with my current boat and a 1/2 ton.  

Edited by Slayer
  • Like 2

Also forget the launch ramp..

trying to navigate the narrow lanes driving through Little Rock had me puckered up because that boat was doing most of the steering, I can only imagine the feeling to that of a colonoscopy.

1 hour ago, IXFE said:

IMG_6663.jpeg

IMG_6800.jpeg

Thanks for sharing @IXFE . Yes, this would be very comparable to the setup I am looking at. Was there a larger than normal slope / extreme conditions at the ramp that day? 

19 minutes ago, SurfMI said:

Thanks for sharing @IXFE . Yes, this would be very comparable to the setup I am looking at. Was there a larger than normal slope / extreme conditions at the ramp that day? 

That ramp was typical for that area.  It's not typical of what you find here in MI, however.  

26 minutes ago, SurfMI said:

That ramp is kinda tight and steep, but I’ve been on many others like it.  It had good traction and wasn’t wet or slippery. The Yukon just was too light!  The boat dragged it down that ramp! It was stressful for sure (I was in the boat, @Slayer in the Yukon)  

We’re laughing here and having a good time remembering that trip. But jokes aside, it really was the trip that convinced me I was done with 1/2 tons (and especially short wheel base SUV’s) forever. It was my first season with a 25 which really flipped the physics of towing against me. The combination of the short wheel base (a lot shorter than the 25 on the trailer) and the weight (a lot lighter than the 25) was too much for my comfort level. We towed the boat 14 hours from DFW to Norris Lake in NE Tennessee. Even though that trip is mostly flat, it was a “white knuckle” experience (tail wagging the dog). Also, the small gas tanks in the 1/2 ton SUVs are not conducive to towing long distances. Ask @Stevo how we learned that lesson! 

Edited by IXFE
1 hour ago, IXFE said:

That ramp is kinda tight and steep, but I’ve been on many others like it.  It had good traction and wasn’t wet or slippery. The Yukon just was too light!  The boat dragged it down that ramp! It was stressful for sure (I was in the boat, @Slayer in the Yukon)  

We’re laughing here and having a good time remembering that trip. But jokes aside, it really was the trip that convinced me I was done with 1/2 tons (and especially short wheel base SUV’s) forever. It was my first season with a 25 which really flipped the physics of towing against me. The combination of the short wheel base (a lot shorter than the 25 on the trailer) and the weight (a lot lighter than the 25) was too much for my comfort level. We towed the boat 14 hours from DFW to Norris Lake in NE Tennessee. Even though that trip is mostly flat, it was a “white knuckle” experience (tail wagging the dog). Also, the small gas tanks in the 1/2 ton SUVs are not conducive to towing long distances. Ask @Stevo how we learned that lesson! 

Always with the running out of gas jokes,   lol 

but although the gas is more expensive here in California we have fuel stations closer than 40 miles apart and a 1/4 tank should have at least netted that.

I’ve said many times that I wouldn’t want a 1500 as a primary tow vehicle for frequent towing of any distance. 

That said, I’ve towed my 7000 pound 2014 23 LSV with a 2011 Yukon Denali XL, a 2014 Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel, a 2019 Ford Expedition MAX and a 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L. 

The GMC was far and away the worst tow vehicle out of all of those.

Changing the brakes solved the problem at the boat ramp.

With my smaller lighter boat, my Ex is adequate for towing outside of the Colorado mountains.

I’d love to hear first hand how the new Wagoneer or GW, especially the L versions do towing. Of all the 1500 SUVs, on paper it’s the most capable with nearly a 10,000 pound tow rating.