Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wiring ACC Switch with LED Controller (2007 Malibu VTX)

Steveorino

I just installed an LED controller and I want to connect it to the ACC switch on the dash. The ACC switch lights up when switched on...but I have a few questions:

1. I see there is an open prong on the ACC switch, I'm assuming that's the positive wire that I would connect to the positive on the controller. Is that correct?
  2. Can I connect the negative directly to the battery negative post? (Instead of running another wire back to the dash?) 

Thank you for your help!

1) I would not assume this. Some manual rocker switches have up to 8 terminals. A volt meter would confirm the terminal's function. 

2) Sounds like you are fishing a B+ to the helm. Why not fish a 2-conductor and terminate the controller's B- to the helm. This reduces the ring terminals on the battery posts.  

Thanks!  My rocker switch has 3 terminals like this https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/carling-boat-rocker-switch-base-v1d2bt0b-20a-12v-red-light:

These are my assumptions:

1. The top has a black wire going into it - Negative Wire
2. The middle terminal has a green/white stripe - Positive Power
3. The bottom terminal (open terminal - not connected to anything) - Positive to connect the LED Controller

That makes sense, it would look cleaner terminating to the helm, but it would work on the battery post....right?

19 hours ago, Steveorino said:

I just installed an LED controller and I want to connect it to the ACC switch on the dash. The ACC switch lights up when switched on...but I have a few questions:

1. I see there is an open prong on the ACC switch, I'm assuming that's the positive wire that I would connect to the positive on the controller. Is that correct?
  2. Can I connect the negative directly to the battery negative post? (Instead of running another wire back to the dash?) 

Thank you for your help!

to make sure you eliminate noise which rgb’s are famous for, wire that switch with remote power snd ground from amp board or better yet the battery.  when installing aftermarket anything stereo or rgb my vote is for all remote power and ground 

If you use the audio's remote turn-on to turn the LED controller on, just remember, your LEDs will only work with the audio on. Also, you MUST use a relay. The turn-on circuit is not intended to power loads, just supply a 12V signal. 

The unwanted noise is not created by the LEDs, but rather the controller, and not all controllers create the noise. Its created by the pulse width modulation used to create some of the secondary and tertiary colors.