Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Great 383 Stroker Sound ?

Parkerbw85

How can I make the Malibu sound as great as the 383 stroker should ? I see some videos and the motor sounds great - exhausts, etc ? 

Would love for it sound like it has some exhaust at idle 

2002 Wakesetter with 2018 Mercrusier Scorpion installed 

thanks 

BP 

It seems as though you may have 2 questions,  1. how to amplify the sound of the engine via an exhaust change  and 2.  how to make the engine sound obvious at idle.

For #1 - there are various ways to change the exhaust note with the boat up on plane, there are several types of silencers, noise suppression inserts, exhaust tips and cut-outs that can / will alter the exhaust note.  I will add, if you are listening to videos of go fast boats that sound great, be careful on going with that for an inland lake boat as you will very quickly become 'that guy' as noise travels easily over water and most lakefront homeowners are not fond of it.  For your enjoyment my suggestion would be to crack open the engine cover and get some sound in to the cabin to enjoy.

For #2 - ski/wake/surf boat exhaust systems exit below the waterline at rest (idle) and therefore the water suppresses the noise.  If you are looking for an idle lope, a more aggressive camshaft is your answer.

Edited by Woodski
On 12/28/2023 at 10:24 AM, Woodski said:

It seems as though you may have 2 questions,  1. how to amplify the sound of the engine via an exhaust change  and 2.  how to make the engine sound obvious at idle.

For #1 - there are various ways to change the exhaust note with the boat up on plane, there are several types of silencers, noise suppression inserts, exhaust tips and cut-outs that can / will alter the exhaust note.  I will add, if you are listening to videos of go fast boats that sound great, be careful on going with that for an inland lake boat as you will very quickly become 'that guy' as noise travels easily over water and most lakefront homeowners are not fond of it.  For your enjoyment my suggestion would be to crack open the engine cover and get some sound in to the cabin to enjoy.

For #2 - ski/wake/surf boat exhaust systems exit below the waterline at rest (idle) and therefore the water suppresses the noise.  If you are looking for an idle lope, a more aggressive camshaft is your answer.

Have to be careful about the more aggressive camshaft. Too much overlap (for that idle chop) can cause reversion.

I guess I’m getting old. One of the things I like the most about the FAE is that it made the boat quieter. 

A buddy who had a stern drive had a Corsa exhaust. You could turn it “on” when you wanted it to be throaty/loud and “off” when you wanted it quieter. Maybe they have an option for your boat?

3 hours ago, Woodski said:

The reality of boats used for watersports, exhaust noise quickly becomes annoying.  It distracts from in boat conversation, annoys the surrounding residents as these boats operate in populated areas rather than out in wide open waters.  As a gearhead, a great sounding internal combustion engine is music to my ears but it needs to be in the appropriate environment.

This.  When the "poker run" happens here you can hear the cigarette boats from five miles away.  I find it quite annoying.

All of the current "muscle" cars with their gurgling exhaust is dumb too.  Nobody needs to know that the local young buck is leaving *every* stop sign.

3 hours ago, Woodski said:

The reality of boats used for watersports, exhaust noise quickly becomes annoying.  It distracts from in boat conversation, annoys the surrounding residents as these boats operate in populated areas rather than out in wide open waters.  As a gearhead, a great sounding internal combustion engine is music to my ears but it needs to be in the appropriate environment.

Kinda like loud stereos and tower speakers?

• Like 1
dizzygti
8 minutes ago, COOP said:

I bet you're fun at parties.   

6 minutes ago, dizzygti said:

I bet you're fun at parties.   

Lol!

Just pointing out the irony of wake boaters who probably have loud tower speakers complaining about loud sound.

Bottom line is people just dont have respect for anyone these days.

• Like 3
dizzygti
2 minutes ago, COOP said:

Lol!

Just pointing out the irony of wake boaters who probably have loud tower speakers complaining about loud sound.

Bottom line is people just dont have respect for anyone these days.

Woodski's 94 Echelon LX isn't a wake boat, and any boat can have loud speakers.   Your second point is true though.   To me, exhaust doesn't have a volume knob (other than the throttle), speakers can be turned off.    

4 hours ago, COOP said:

I’d agree with that statement. At the lake I don’t really want to hear someone else’s exhaust or their music. 

Now get off my lawn!

image.gif.386bfcb32afca9bcb8bbc5991db84894.gif

I will say that is one thing I miss about my 06 with the Hammerhead.  That motor has a great sound on idle and load.  It was tough without trying, the Chuck Norris of inboard motors.

It is crazy how quiet the M6 is.  It was a bit unsettling at first, like something was wrong, but soon got to love the ability to converse on load.