Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Maliview Screen What Year is Better

kodyind

There may be a run of couple years that were more failure prone than others, a quick search on here would probably give you a good in-sight. ALL years have the potential being made by the same manufacturer. I have had both screens on my 2019 (530 hours) replaced due to delaminating and bubbles starting in the corners. 

It’s a crap shoot I’d say on whether you have issues or not. Not a single problem on mine until @ 300 hours for the main screen. Then at @ 400 hours the other one started to bubble. Thank god the other one decided to have issues inside of the 5 year warranty which comes up this April.

I have seen the fewest screen related issues with the Viper Malibu NGOS displays on 2020 and newer Malibu boats.  Software updates can be done by the owner via WiFi and do not require the dealer to update the software using a USB zip drive like the 2010-2019 displays did (although, the newer displays can still be updated that way, if needed).  The most recent software updates for 2020-2023 are available to accommodate future changes to a newer KOE display as well.  The weakest link in the 2020 and newer MOS display control system that I have seen is the new Ride Control power modules (there are 3-4 modules depending on the boat model).

The 2022 and newer Axis boats use a touchscreen display from Garmin, who has a very good track record and lots of experience in marine display equipment.  I haven't personally seen an Axis Garmin screen failure yet, but that doesn't mean it never happens.  They do still require a USB from the dealer to be updated.

Out here in the southwest. It is fairly common to see bubbles or screen delamination on the 2010-2014 MTC 7" displays and on the 2015-2019 ViperII 20" and 7" touchscreens.  Exposure to extremes in environmental temperatures seem to be the most common factor I've seen that causes touchscreen display issues, but I don't have any real hard data to back up that claim.

On 12/23/2023 at 4:16 PM, wdr said:

It’s a crap shoot I’d say on whether you have issues or not. Not a single problem on mine until @ 300 hours for the main screen. Then at @ 400 hours the other one started to bubble. Thank god the other one decided to have issues inside of the 5 year warranty which comes up this April.

Replaced the lower right on my 2018 at about 400 hours and 4.5 years old. Always garaged except for the days on the water.

Edited by dalt1

Exposure to extremes in environmental temperatures seem to be the most common factor I've seen that causes touchscreen display issues, but I don't have any real hard data to back up that claim.

This has been my belief since I started having issues. The main screen finished in black, sitting on a black bed and basically sitting under a magnifying glass can get stupid hot. It’s no wonder something would delaminate under those conditions. When we stop now a towel goes over the dash. 

I was wondering if there are negatives or issues with boats that are stored outdoors under a cover? My 2007 has always been kept garaged except weekends when we are on the water (I do not have the touch screens, so not really relavant to my boat), but we are building a new house and will have a boat lift, so things are going to change. We do hope to upgrade to a new or newer boat in the future, so I will be following this thread closely. My friend has a 2015 and he is having some screen delamination issues and he keeps his on a lift under a cover. I was wondering if anyone knows if that is better or worse (or not really a contributing factor). Our lake doesn't allow covered Docks or lifts, so our current boat and any new boat will be in the direct sun under a cover of course but it would still get heat. 

My 2019 stays in a temperature controlled building except when it is on the water. It also generally never sits outside even overnight uncovered. Yet, both screens bubbled so I really don’t think it makes a difference being outdoors under a cover or not. The way the screens are made they just have that tendency to delaminate and I am sure the direct sunlight exposure (in my case) helped the process. JM2C

On 12/25/2023 at 5:49 PM, wdr said:

Exposure to extremes in environmental temperatures seem to be the most common factor I've seen that causes touchscreen display issues, but I don't have any real hard data to back up that claim.

This has been my belief since I started having issues. The main screen finished in black, sitting on a black bed and basically sitting under a magnifying glass can get stupid hot. It’s no wonder something would delaminate under those conditions. When we stop now a towel goes over the dash. 

For this reason, when I tinted my windshield, I had it tinted with the carbon ceramic film that had the most UV resistance and heat dissipation.  It sounds crazy, but sitting in direct sunlight on 100 degree days, the dash was actually cooler.  I can leave my phones out on the dash and they won't get too hot. 

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2024 at 4:11 AM, bboozer said:

I was wondering if there are negatives or issues with boats that are stored outdoors under a cover? My 2007 has always been kept garaged except weekends when we are on the water (I do not have the touch screens, so not really relavant to my boat), but we are building a new house and will have a boat lift, so things are going to change. We do hope to upgrade to a new or newer boat in the future, so I will be following this thread closely. My friend has a 2015 and he is having some screen delamination issues and he keeps his on a lift under a cover. I was wondering if anyone knows if that is better or worse (or not really a contributing factor). Our lake doesn't allow covered Docks or lifts, so our current boat and any new boat will be in the direct sun under a cover of course but it would still get heat. 

There are lots of issues with boats that are stored outdoors under a cover.

- The engine bay will never get as dry.  There will always be residual water.  In fact, you might develop mold and corrosion on some components.  Nothing dries a boat like the drive home with the plug out.

- The boat doesn't get thoroughly wiped down after each use. (consider a lighter color gel scheme on a new boat)

- the upholstery doesn't get as dry and will get grubby between cushions (see first point). (consider a darker upholstery color scheme)

On the other hand, you will use that boat so much more having it on a lift!  After getting used to flipping a switch and being on the water, it's tough to find motivation to trailer a boat anywhere.

2 hours ago, flapjack said:

There are lots of issues with boats that are stored outdoors under a cover.

- The engine bay will never get as dry.  There will always be residual water.  In fact, you might develop mold and corrosion on some components.  Nothing dries a boat like the drive home with the plug out.

- The boat doesn't get thoroughly wiped down after each use. (consider a lighter color gel scheme on a new boat)

- the upholstery doesn't get as dry and will get grubby between cushions (see first point). (consider a darker upholstery color scheme)

On the other hand, you will use that boat so much more having it on a lift!  After getting used to flipping a switch and being on the water, it's tough to find motivation to trailer a boat anywhere.

Not sure where you live, but my boat spends all year on a lift in a relatively humid climate and I do not have any of these issues.  Boat gets wiped down inside and out every day it is used (that is what kids are for!) and compartments are left open for air circulation within the boat before the cover goes on.  Sometimes cushions are moved around if there is a particularly wet area, but that is not the norm.

• Like 3

My 2015 was/is kept in temp controlled garage all year.  Still bubbled and failed the small screen.  Very tiny small bubbles completely fubar’d the screen.  On the other hand my 2014 had crazy delam all around the border of it and was stored outside covered for winters and it never had a problem and always worked fine.  I think the 2015-2019 screens don’t delam as much but seem to be less robust when they do delam even small amounts.