Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Raising height of captain chair?

Jordan22

I have an '03 LSV, I think maybe the last year before they started adding the flip up booster. Any creative ideas or aftermarket solutions to mimic that ability to raise the seat height when you need to see over the bow better?

1 hour ago, Jordan22 said:

I have an '03 LSV, I think maybe the last year before they started adding the flip up booster. Any creative ideas or aftermarket solutions to mimic that ability to raise the seat height when you need to see over the bow better?

Easiest: sit on a throw cushion 

I do have a tall mount with swivel that might work for your boat

IMG_3837.jpeg

IMG_3838.jpeg

Edited by Bozboat
  • Like 1

I did a DIY for mine out of stainless square tubing on my 01- VLX. But I can’t seem to find the photo, I want to say it was 3.5 square tube with a .250 wall and I welded two pieces together and drilled the appropriate mounting holes for seat and base.

for the newer generation seats there was a company that made a base with compartment 

IMG_1965.jpeg

2 hours ago, srab said:

I went with the 4" seat riser for 2002-2009 pictured above.  Very pleased.

Looks like they're available on Amazon.

With one of those, they are a fixed height raise though, right? No way to adjust?

I'm just wondering if you ever cold and windy days where you also wish you could sit lower and under the windshield? 

11 hours ago, Bozboat said:

Easiest: sit on a throw cushion 

I do have a tall mount with swivel that might work for your boat

A throw cushion just doesn't seem to do enough and I figure if I stack 3-4 of them I'll be sliding around a bit.

For a 4" mount like the one you have, I think that is actually pretty similar to the one I already have. Is this just as high as they make those mounts? It still doesn't seem to be high enough which is why I feel like I might need to lean toward some sort of cushion on top to mimic how the newer models have adjustable height to the seats.

Edited by Jordan22
11 minutes ago, Bozboat said:

you can buy The seat cushion hinge and  convert your seat to one that flips up. I would need some help from an upholstery shop. If you permanently raise the seat, the top of the seat back will rub on some boat covers.

Thanks. I've been looking at this, but not sure I want to replace the vinyl and then have it noticeably not match the rest of the chair. If/when we do replace the vinyl, I'll likely go this route though.

3 hours ago, Jordan22 said:

I'm just wondering if you ever cold and windy days where you also wish you could sit lower and under the windshield? 

I guess it depends on how tall you are, but if you need 3-4 cushions to get you up high enough, the riser should at least get you to where you only need 1 or maybe 2.  

FWIW, even with the 4" riser, my wife and I still have our line of sight well under the top of the windshield.  

My boat, an '06, came stock with the flip-up bolster as well.  That plus the riser puts line of sight over the top of the windshield.

The flip up bolster was an available option for me in '03. I think the price ruled it out though. If you sit too high bring extra hats. Me? Myself? I just got used to sitting lower, and prefer it that way, as did everyone else (many people) who drives my boat. No one complains any more after about two years of sitting lower.

I use a hot tube booster seat.  Adds about 3” and I can choose when to use it.  It was also not very expensive and water proof

On 12/28/2023 at 6:45 AM, Footer613 said:

I use a hot tube booster seat.  Adds about 3” and I can choose when to use it.  It was also not very expensive and water proof

I actually like this idea a lot. Thanks!