Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

T220-R

HPetit

It's just a stripper T220.  Should be a great boat for the money if you don't need any bells and whistles. 

The max factory ballast is listed at a paltry 1,145 pounds which tells me it doesn't have P&P or PW3.  I would want all of those things and wonder if you can spec the "R" up with those features.

If you're doing a lot of surfing I imagine it will impress compared to the VLX if you can add those things on w/ the dealer.  

2 hours ago, rennis said:

It's just a stripper T220.  Should be a great boat for the money if you don't need any bells and whistles. 

The max factory ballast is listed at a paltry 1,145 pounds which tells me it doesn't have P&P or PW3.  I would want all of those things and wonder if you can spec the "R" up with those features.

If you're doing a lot of surfing I imagine it will impress compared to the VLX if you can add those things on w/ the dealer.  

My understanding is if you want to add anything the dealers will have to do it. 

I dont even think these come with covers.

They also have a 21 LX-R.  This is even more stripped down than the LX already is.  Even less features though.  You can't really option out the LX very much, but the LX-R has even less options.  This boat doesn't even have a sport knob.

3 hours ago, ahopkins22LSV said:

Correct, I don't think it comes with Power Wedge, which would be a huge pass IMO. They are also offering the 21LX in the "R" setup, however I am not sure what that includes / doesn't include.

I was told that they won’t add a wedge. Not sure if that’s true, but it was what I was told. 

30 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

No tread pattern in gel?

I haven't seen one in person.  Maybe there is some tread, but either way they are so stripped down it doesn't look like a great buy to me.

ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, hunter77ah said:

I was told that they won’t add a wedge. Not sure if that’s true, but it was what I was told. 

I get that. They probably have it locked down to keep the price accurate and consistent. 

Id be curious to build a bare bones normal T220 with a power wedge and PNP to see what the price delta is.

Anyone try surfing their T220 with no wedge and only hard tanks?  I imagine you could foil ok, and it'll wakeboard fine, and be a nice runabout but that wouldnt be very forgiving to learn to surf behind and surfing seems to be the differentiator they are selling compared to generic bowrider.

(it's basically going back 10+yrs surf-wise with no adjustments and fatsacs /lead bags or lots of aftermarket mods required - all possible, but seems silly to buy a nearly 100k new fixer-upper.  IMO lightly used would be significantly better value and higher performing.

I get trying to rope in new customers with lower entry point but theres gotta be a practical limit before it backfires by not meeting basic expectations

I get the feeling this boat isnt for an educated buyer, it is intended to get people in the door. I know the insane new prices for entry level wakeboard boats have to eventually reach a zenith. 

11 hours ago, CaptainMorgan said:

Anyone try surfing their T220 with no wedge and only hard tanks?  I imagine you could foil ok, and it'll wakeboard fine, and be a nice runabout but that wouldnt be very forgiving to learn to surf behind and surfing seems to be the differentiator they are selling compared to generic bowrider.

(it's basically going back 10+yrs surf-wise with no adjustments and fatsacs /lead bags or lots of aftermarket mods required - all possible, but seems silly to buy a nearly 100k new fixer-upper.  IMO lightly used would be significantly better value and higher performing.

I get trying to rope in new customers with lower entry point but theres gotta be a practical limit before it backfires by not meeting basic expectations

It actually surfs fine. IIRC, @vanamp doesn't use the wedge for surfing. I still wouldn't buy a boat without it though. I use the wedge surfing because I don't like telling people they have to sit somewhere specific to dial my wave. I also like to tone it down when I'm on the goofy side riding switch. The wedge really helps with wakeboarding for taking off when loaded down and for cleaning up the wake at slow speeds.

IMO, this is a terrible decision by Malibu. The wedge IS Malibu/Axis. They've been telling us how amazing it is for 20 years and now they are saying you don't need it (and CAN'T HAVE IT) on this model. The T220-R should have the power wedge as part of the package. Ditch the surf pipe if they want to save a dime, at least people can add FAE if they desire. Adding a wedge is not something most people can take on.

My prediction for this model is that a few will be ordered by dealers and they will SIT or become rentals. The model will die in a couple years or Malibu will wake up and put a wedge on it.

Edited by Raimie
  • Like 3

Strange it comes with a touch screen for 'No frills'. Probably just using what they have for molds?

Weirdly i would be interested in this because I prefer minimalist/simplicity, but would never buy one new. I'd buy a used A24 for that price.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, YeloBlammo said:

Strange it comes with a touch screen for 'No frills'. Probably just using what they have for molds?

Weirdly i would be interested in this because I prefer minimalist/simplicity, but would never buy one new. I'd buy a used A24 for that price.

Touch screens in general are cheaper than running a ton of switch wires.

3 hours ago, YeloBlammo said:

Easier / cheaper for Malibu to do this. This is the base dash offering on all Axis models. It would cost more for them to utilize analog.

Definately a boat for those without much of a clue.  You can get a really nice '19-'20 23 LSV pretty optioned up for that kind of money right now.  Malibu's loose a lot of their luster when not running the wedge...

On 12/14/2023 at 3:51 PM, Sixer said:

Plus no flooring cover at all......not even carpet.  Looks slippery IMO

my diamond grit axis floor was not slippery at all

I’ve thought about this one a bit.  This boat might also appeal to people on private lakes that don’t allow wake enhancing devices.  There’s one 30 miles southeast of me.  Skiing and wakeboarding are allowed, sterndrives too, but you can’t have tabs or a wedge. In fact, the length limit was 23’ (not including removable swim platforms) so it would fit perfect here.  Subfloor ballast and reversible pumps would make this almost undetectable to the water-Karen’s on those.