Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2001 Malibu Wakesetter VLX clueless mechanic

SkipGundlach

Greetings...

So, we go looking at this boat in a lift - no trailer, ever.

I need to speak with the mechanic to see what prompted a top end overhaul - head job, manifolds and heads gaskets, and other miscellany - at only 615 hours.

Despite its age, the hours are supported by its general condition both in and out; minor (fading, not peeling) sun damage to stern graphics, and lesser so on port and starboard, but maybe they'd come back with some careful polishing.  Upholstery generally very good other than some sun damage to the extreme stern of the pad where the aft turn-under has a small crack (not torn, just sunburned crack), thanks to spending its life in a lift, with a cover over it. 

BUT...

I've gotten the whimwhams about the mechanic because that work was done in the lift - which is all well and good.  Except the yo-yo didn't pull the engine oil or drain the water first.

As a result, there was several inches of water, with a notable amount of oil on top (not a sheen - a significant layer!) in the bilge, when we opened the stern.  After having accidentally bumped the bilge pump switch, and running it for a time, the broker turned it off - but not before several gallons of presumed lake water, with a tiny sheen (meaning that despite all that discharge it hadn't gotten to the oil layer yet), was discharged.

So, first order of business is to get that cleaned up so we can actually see what we've got.  Oilsorb mats would get up the majority of the oil, and other paper-equivalent stuff would absorb the majority of the water.  But that would leave a nasty oily bilge, let alone all the drool from when the oil ran down the engine; I envision finding a trailer to borrow/rent, taking it off to a you-wash-it, draining and hosing then soap spray at low pressure to avoid getting it everywhere else, rinse repeat until the bilge and engine are clean.

Until that's done, it's only a presumption as to where it's leaking oil; the condition of the oil suggests that's truthful, but there's no proof of concept with out a clean start, and then running for a time and looking for more.

Any suggestions, besides either run away, or offer such a lowball as to cover the contingency of cleanup and potential removal for oil pan regasketing?  (Engine starts and runs and sounds fine, with no evident smoke from the exhaust)

Thanks.

L8R

Skip

I'd offer $17,000 to cover "swim platform replacement and engine removal and re-gasketing".  Both of which you can do yourself, it's pretty easy.  That would be a good deal.  Are you working with the seller or a sellers agent?

Or, grab this one instead for $10k more than the one you are looking at.  It's the same boat, 3 years newer, looks well kept, and appears to be turn key and ready to go.  Also includes a tower boom, which is a nice feature to have.

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2004-malibu-wakesetter-vlx-8874653/

Thanks, Boarder!

My son's moving away from this one I think.  Seller's agent (broker).  No idea of whether seller would take 10K as is, take-my-chances, but unless it's cleaned up and run for an extended period there's no way to confirm that mess is strictly a function of the stupidity/lack of prep, and not some other issue...

As to your other listing, that is the same broker; perhaps I could get the same guy to act on our behalf (we had a good relationship based on other non-ski-boat stuff)...

However, brief conversation later has it that a diamond hull is a must-have; this one doesn't...

Edited by SkipGundlach
more info
  • Like 1

Boarder, that SFO boat looks absolutely stunning, at that price.  Too bad it's on the opposite side of the country!

The current boat has issues with the platform, and the owner will pay to have the oil issue cleaned up, but it had several inches of water in it as well; I'm suspicious/afraid that and the oil happened at the same time, and it's been sitting there for 3.5 years (job done may 2020), eating at or staining or both the gelcoat (my guess is that it's not been run out since then, though there's a bit of a mark on the carpet in the aft port cockpit area which MIGHT be oil slosh during a run) and maybe the carpet.

So, while I suspect that the broken/missing platform bracket can be found (another, not-malibu boat has them, too - https://www.popsells.com/wake-ski-boats-for-sale/super-air-nautique-21-in-orlando-florida-r2-333566?c=412199), at a net of something north of 25K before it's ready to hit the ramp, something ready to go might be more appealing.

L8R

Skip

16 hours ago, SkipGundlach said:

Boarder, that SFO boat looks absolutely stunning, at that price.  Too bad it's on the opposite side of the country!

The current boat has issues with the platform, and the owner will pay to have the oil issue cleaned up, but it had several inches of water in it as well; I'm suspicious/afraid that and the oil happened at the same time, and it's been sitting there for 3.5 years (job done may 2020), eating at or staining or both the gelcoat (my guess is that it's not been run out since then, though there's a bit of a mark on the carpet in the aft port cockpit area which MIGHT be oil slosh during a run) and maybe the carpet.

So, while I suspect that the broken/missing platform bracket can be found (another, not-malibu boat has them, too - https://www.popsells.com/wake-ski-boats-for-sale/super-air-nautique-21-in-orlando-florida-r2-333566?c=412199), at a net of something north of 25K before it's ready to hit the ramp, something ready to go might be more appealing.

L8R

Skip

Wha?  I'm showing it's in Belle Isle, Florida.  Like 7 miles away from the other one.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry; apparently some wires crossed:

I'd thought that you'd fed me a link to a boat in San Francisco at 19 or something thou.  That was actually an eBay item I got crossed up with.

We're looking into the Austin 30K one you offered; I'm also starting a real search, and so far have 9 boats and trailers from 96 to 06, and from 14 (several) to 29, and I'm really just getting getting started...

Sorry to induce confusion!

• Like 1