Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2001 Malibu Wakesetter VLX platform issue

SkipGundlach

We're looking at one of these without trailer and with a missing/broken port transom platform bracket, and some damage to the platform itself, likely a product of stress on the port side from a wake or some other agent pushing hard enough to lift that side.  Looks like the lifted wedge saved the platform from going in the drink after, but the wood was damaged in the process.

So:

Is a replacement (actual duplicate) bracket (base still mounted, arm gone) available?

If not, do current brackets match the mount holes?

and

If we have to start over (new platform) will a current generation version work?

and

Without having looked closely (it's in a lift and not very accessible) I can't tell for sure, but it appears that this platform/mount system was designed so that the platform could be removed for garage-length storage (swing-away tongue and that could cut a lot off the required length).  Is that so?  And if so, inferred that the bracket base now remaining to port could have another bracket (presuming it could be sourced) slid on and the wood repaired?

12384124M.webp&w=1920&q=75  12384126M.webp&w=1920&q=75  12384123M.webp&w=1920&q=75

Here's the URL for any interested enough to go look; the thumbnails go to full page on a click there:
https://www.popsells.com/wake-ski-boats-for-sale/malibu-wakesetter-vlx-in-orlando-florida-r4-336633

Thanks for any insights!

L8R

Skip

Edited by SkipGundlach
clarification

It's just teak wood so a decent carpenter can repair or build you a new one. 

The pictures you added are just the thumbnail version so I can't really make out anything based on the pictures.

As far as I know pretty much all Malibu swim decks are removable. Sourcing some of the older ones may be a bit more difficult. But it's fairly easy to fill the holes and use different brackets if need be.

Try looking on great lakes skipper and ebay and you may be in luck for the exact brackets that are on there. 

Sorry, I'm not going to give them my email address just to look at a few photos for you.  What I can see from the thumbnails looks like impact damage, so you will want to inspect the transom mount point as well, including the area where the wood hit the transom.  The owner should give full disclosure of what happened.

You may be able to find the bracket for sale, but you could also have a machine shop fabricate a mirror copy of the one on the boat.  They are pretty simple. 

As @cowwboy said, if you are handy with wood you can repair the platform yourself.