Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2001 Malibu Wakesetter VLX Trailer - and value??

SkipGundlach

Hi,

Two Questions:

I'm considering this boat:  https://www.popsells.com/wake-ski-boats-for-sale/malibu-wakesetter-vlx-in-orlando-florida-r4-336633

It's never had a trailer and we'll want one permanently.  The questions:

Will it be a big deal or easy to find a trailer either specific or adaptable to this boat?

And, without having seen it, but seeing the various pictures, is a 600 hour engine with purported good service records, and a wonky platform  (likely will need replacement) equipped Wakesetter a good, average or poor deal at 19K?

Thanks for any experienced opinion 😁

L8R

Skip

I'd say thats a pretty decent deal for a drive but from that era prices and conditions can vary. Finding a trailer can be tricky if you are waiting out for a used one. If going new from boatmate you're likely 10-15k otherwise probably 5k for a used one that needs some work to make fit.  Lots of cheaper trailers availble but harder to find one spec'd for an inboard. 

On 12/9/2023 at 3:28 PM, Cole2001 said:

I'd say thats a pretty decent deal for a drive but from that era prices and conditions can vary. Finding a trailer can be tricky if you are waiting out for a used one. If going new from boatmate you're likely 10-15k otherwise probably 5k for a used one that needs some work to make fit.  Lots of cheaper trailers availble but harder to find one spec'd for an inboard. 

Initial forays have made it seem like a trailer, while a significant nuisance, can be found in the 5-and-under range, from a new one-disk-brake-axle EZLoader at 5K to a variety of used (but scattered all over the US) which includes a perfect fit dually delivered from Arkansas for just under 5...

The plot thickens, however (see new post) with clueless mechanic...

L8R

Skip

I'd get an aluminum one like mine.  This is a Loadrite trailer, but there are lots of other manufacturers.

2020-2.jpg

Edit: I think they can be had for about $7k brand new

Edited by Michigan boarder

I bought my Loadmaster aluminum trailer through my local dealer.  It was made in Tampa.  I got a decent deal on it because I agreed to build the prop cage myself after delivery.  They built it short for me so it is the same length as the original trailer.

spacer.png

• Like 2