Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2015 Axis A22 - Looking at buying a used one with 350 hrs

PRiley16

I'm looking at possibly buying a used 2015 Axis A22 with around 350 hrs.  409 Monsoon engine.  Any advice or feedback on this year and model would be appreciated.  Will use boat for surfing 95% of time.     

I'd be careful with that year in particular.  That was the first year of the 2nd generation.  Some had issues with the hull twisted and the gelcoat cracked.  If you do get one, I would make sure you are not seeing spider cracking in the gelcoat on the outside center of the boat on each side.

• Like 1

In addition to the issue that @theloungelife points out (which I think was due in part to the stringers separating from the hull... a nightmare scenario for a second owner, to whom the lifetime hull warranty wouldn't apply), the 409 in that year will also have the 1.5:1 transmission vs 1.72:1 in the 350 or 450.  The lower ratio trans is really helpful if you plan to surf.  So getting out of the hole in a 350 vs 409 is really kind of a push.  The 409 will have a higher top speed (if top speed on a wake tractor is important to you), but the 350 can be propped for a lower final drive ratio (more holeshot/lower top speed).  This can become important depending on your altitude. 

I'm pretty sure the 2015 is also the last year of mechanical lenco surfgate actuators, before they went hydraulic in 2016.  The lencos do tend to crap out after a while vs. the hydraulics which seem to be pretty reliable (anecdotally, the weak spot on the early hydraulic system seems to be the relay box which can start to go bad after a couple hundred hours).

• Like 1
12 hours ago, PRiley16 said:

That is great info, thank you I'll be sure to check for that.  

or it already was returned to factory for repair , many were,  i think the problem was for earlier production dates per the HID tag which reveals tge year and month of production.  if 2nd qtr 2015 you should be good,  1st qtr hopefully as well but who knows, if produced in 2014 i would lean away from this boat