Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Which Models/Year have the G5 Tower

iliketoski

I've had many (23) years with my Sunsetter VLX, but I'm finally thinking of updating to a newer model.  I want to still be able to store a newer boat in my garage.  I've looked at the new boats, they are just too big for what I want and I'd have to upgrade my tow vehicle.  I know the G5 Tower on the new VTX, (which folds toward the rear), will fit in a 7' opening.

My question, does anyone know which (if any) boats the G5 tower has been used?  What years? I sent Malibu an email, but received no response. 

An alternative question, are there any of the boats 2010+ that will fit into a 7' garage with the Tower folded down? 

ahopkins22LSV
2 hours ago, iliketoski said:

I've had many (23) years with my Sunsetter VLX, but I'm finally thinking of updating to a newer model.  I want to still be able to store a newer boat in my garage.  I've looked at the new boats, they are just too big for what I want and I'd have to upgrade my tow vehicle.  I know the G5 Tower on the new VTX, (which folds toward the rear), will fit in a 7' opening.

My question, does anyone know which (if any) boats the G5 tower has been used?  What years? I sent Malibu an email, but received no response. 

An alternative question, are there any of the boats 2010+ that will fit into a 7' garage with the Tower folded down? 

I think you are thinking of the ski tower which is different from the G3 or G5 tower. The G series towers still and always have folded forward. The available ski tower on the vtx/txi folds backwards very similar to the axis towers. That became available in 2020 with the latest redesign of the vtx. 

VTX with the ski tower:

IMG_5935.thumb.jpeg.976855b64508bacccb8e9f528bf46416.jpeg

With the G5 tower:

IMG_5936.thumb.jpeg.0a102241225340244b19c85070987e86.jpeg

15 hours ago, dalt1 said:

I used to put a 2012 VLX in my 7' garage. Had to buy the garage clearance hoop for the tower to do it.image.thumb.png.bb019e44996266b233cba016626d49ac.png

What is the "garage clearance hoop", never heard of that.

15 hours ago, ahopkins22LSV said:

I think you are thinking of the ski tower which is different from the G3 or G5 tower. The G series towers still and always have folded forward. The available ski tower on the vtx/txi folds backwards very similar to the axis towers. That became available in 2020 with the latest redesign of the vtx. 

VTX with the ski tower:

IMG_5935.thumb.jpeg.976855b64508bacccb8e9f528bf46416.jpeg

With the G5 tower:

IMG_5936.thumb.jpeg.0a102241225340244b19c85070987e86.jpeg

Looking at the Malibu Site, it lists the "THE MALIBU G5 TOWER" "The G5 features a latch design, LED tower, and anchor lights and optional side pull points for surfing. Our aerospace-grade anodized aluminum swivel board racks are corrosion-resistant and ratchet down with the slightest tug on a single lever, securing any board."  It is the one on the VTX that you list as the Ski Tower, so now I'm confused.

I'll be at the No Wake winter tie up party 12/1, I'll talk with Mike one of the owners, maybe him or one of the sales guys can clear it up.

8 minutes ago, iliketoski said:

What is the "garage clearance hoop", never heard of that.

The top bar that sweeps toward the rear of boat where the tow rope mount is. The Clearance hoop went straighter across instead of sweeping backwards about a foot. When the tower folds forward that bar sticks straight up and hits door frame. The clearance hoop stays lower and clears a 7' door. Here is a pic of the two different bars.image.thumb.png.ccb1b44e3001d3c0d2237a8c9db3da34.png

Edited by dalt1
ahopkins22LSV
3 minutes ago, iliketoski said:

Looking at the Malibu Site, it lists the "THE MALIBU G5 TOWER" "The G5 features a latch design, LED tower, and anchor lights and optional side pull points for surfing. Our aerospace-grade anodized aluminum swivel board racks are corrosion-resistant and ratchet down with the slightest tug on a single lever, securing any board."  It is the one on the VTX that you list as the Ski Tower, so now I'm confused.

I'll be at the No Wake winter tie up party 12/1, I'll talk with Mike one of the owners, maybe him or one of the sales guys can clear it up.

Does this help clear it up? The tower shown in this view is the "TXi Performance Tower". Which I referenced as the "ski tower". This one will fold back. The G5 folds forward.

image.thumb.png.e3f474cea6af5dbdf24bec06093f33bb.png