Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Max Trailering & Z71 Off-Road Packages (Silverado 1500)- Helpful for towing?

Jordan22

First time boat (and soon to be truck) owner. Looking at getting a new Silverado 1500 and would appreciate some help deciding if any of the extra packages are worth it for the purposes of boat towing/launching. 

My boat ('03 Wakesetter LSV) + Trailer weigh about 5,500 lbs and I don't plan to be towing more than that in the near term...possibly up to 7,500 in a few years if we upgrade to a newer boat (which are of course heavier). Towing capacity without max trailering package is 9,000 so I'm still well under that but wondering if there are other features in the package that would still make towing easier or safer with our boat.

I also don't have plans to do any serious off-roading but wondering if the Hill Descent control in the Z71 off-roach package is potentially valuable if towing over a larger mountain pass?

Anyways, looking for advice from experienced truck owners if either the Max Trailering or Z71 Off Road Packages are worthwhile for our situation or am I better off saving the money or using it on other features like the safety package for blindspot monitoring. We have two young kids, so safety is our biggest priority.

Some details on each package from Chevy's website...

FEATURES INCLUDED WITH MAX TRAILERING PACKAGE:

9.76" rear axle, enhanced cooling radiator, revised shock tuning for increased control, heavier-duty rear springs, increased RGAWR 2 and 220-amp alternator; LT and RST include trailer brake controller; LT, RST, LTZ and High Country include 3.42 axle ratio (LT and RST require available 5.3L V8 engine, Trailering Package, and heavy-duty automatic locking rear differential; LTZ requires 5.3L V8 engine or available 6.2L V8 engine; High Country requires 4x4 and available 6.2L V8 engine; not available with Z71 Off-Road Package or 22" wheels)

• Increased towing and GCWR
  • Automatic locking rear differential
  • Handling/Trailering2 Suspension Package
  • Enhanced cooling radiator
  • Revised shock tuning
  • Heavier duty rear springs and increased RGAWR
  • 9.76" rear axle
  • 3.42 axle ratio (gas engine), 3.73 axle ratio (diesel engine)
  • Trailer brake controller

FEATURES INCLUDED WITH Z71 OFF-ROAD PACKAGE:

Off-Road suspension, Hill Descent Control, skid plates, heavy-duty air filter, all-terrain tires and Z71 badge; WT includes heavy-duty automatic locking rear differential and 2-speed transfer case; Custom Trail Boss and LT Trail Boss include 2-inch factory lifted suspension and Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac® tires; LT and RST include heavy-duty automatic locking rear differential, dual-outlet exhaust with polished tips, 18" Bright Silver-painted aluminum wheels (PZX) and 2-speed transfer case; LTZ includes 2-speed transfer case and dual-outlet exhaust with polished tips; High Country does not include Z71 badge (WT requires Double Cab or Crew Cab and available Trailering Package; not available with Work Truck Package; LT and RST require available Trailering Package; not available with 2.7L Turbo engine, Max Trailering Package or 22" wheels; LTZ not available with Max Trailering Package or 22" wheels; High Country not available with High Country Deluxe, Max Trailering Package or 22" wheels)

• 2-Speed Autotrac Transfer case
  • Z71 Off-Road suspension with Rancho™ twin tube shocks
  • Hill Descent Control
  • Skid plates
  • Heavy-duty air filter
  • LTZ models include 20" all-terrain blackwall tires and Chevytec spray-on bedliner

Max trailering package is definitely worth it in my mind.  The additional cooling will certainly be a positive, especially with mountain towing.  Handling/suspension and heavier rear springs will all help with any trailer sway.  Lower axle ratio and trailer brake controller (should you ever go to some flavor of electric trailer brakes) are all beneficial.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, RyanB said:

Max trailering package is definitely worth it in my mind.  The additional cooling will certainly be a positive, especially with mountain towing.  Handling/suspension and heavier rear springs will all help with any trailer sway.  Lower axle ratio and trailer brake controller (should you ever go to some flavor of electric trailer brakes) are all beneficial.

Trailer brake controller only works with a compatible trailer, right? The one I have now has a hydraulic brake actuator. 

What size fuel tank does it have?  One reason I got the max tow in my F-150 is for the 35 gallon tank.  It is really nice not having to stop every 100 miles when towing.

Yes, brake controller is only for electric trailer brakes or electric over hydraulic (very nice option if you check that box on a trailer).  Make sure (your current boat will be ok) you know the tongue weight and payload of the truck.  Every option you add reduces payload which reduces how much weight you can put in the truck and on the hitch (think people, gear, fuel, hitch receiver, and tongue weight of the trailer).  Hill descent control is for low speed (like sub 5mph) so that’s not going to benefit your purpose.  

Truth be told, if you’re looking at upgrading boats in a few years, get an idea of what new model tongue weights are, the newer 23LSVs are much heavier than yours, and while a half ton will usually work for a 22-23’, you will likely find the beefier brakes and suspension of a 3/4 ton will make your trips much more comfortable, especially if you go 24 or bigger.  

I have a '23 AT4 with the 3.0l diesel.  Last weekend I towed a 20' 14K PJ flatbed tilt trailer (est. 3600 lbs. empty) hauling a can-am defender max HD10 (est. 2500) and a Deere X729 mower (est. 1400 lbs. with deck and front blade).  The estimated weights are pretty darn close, so 7500 lbs. ish.  On the way home I got an over GCWR warning and a computer suggestion to weigh the whole truck and trailer.  It was just me in the truck and no other gear in the bed.  It towed ok but I could tell it was getting heavy for a 1/2 ton and the load was pulling me around a bit with the off-road suspension.  In a half ton I'd look hard at the max tow package and skip the off-road stuff if you are going to tow that heavy or--better still--start looking hard at the HD trucks.  

Edited by jjackkrash
  • Like 2
45 minutes ago, jjackkrash said:

On the way home I got an over GCWR warning and a computer suggestion to weigh the whole truck and trailer.

Wow. Never heard that before. Trucks are pretty advanced now. So there could be consequences in regard to warranty if you go over their weight ratings. 

55 minutes ago, RyanB said:

So there could be consequences in regard to warranty if you go over their weight ratings. 

The thought crossed my mind.  But it's also just an estimate.  So its tough to say it's actually over without a scale.  

Hill descent control is for going down steep grades at slow speeds where loss of traction is likely. I have a GMC AT4 and have only used that feature once when deep in the woods and I took a sketchy 4 wheeler trail out deer hunting. I will say it worked pretty well and I was impressed as it held me around walking speed with no slipping/skidding going down a steep rocky stretch of trail. 

since you mentioned safety with young kids and new boat ownership, never leave them in the truck strapped in to car seats while launching or retrieving your boat. 

Just updated to a 2013 1500 high country with the small diesel, max tow and cooling. Tows my 2015 22VLX at around 6,500lbs with no problem. Had a 2008 3/4 ton with 6liter gas getting around 14 mph unloaded and around 10 when towing. That truck had around 360horse power and 400 torque. The baby diesel has around 300 hp and 500 lbs of torque. Just went to Oregon an back to east bay and got 30mph, go with the diesel. Towing around 15 mpg

Hill decent control only works under 30mph or so and will brake to keep it under that. Not intended to be used on the hwy or to help with towing. 

In regards to trucks knowing capacity, fords have a built in scale and will tell you if overweight. 

So, it seems the Off Road Package isn't really offering anything of value for boat towing but I'm still not sure whether or not I should get the Max Towing Package. Obviously, it doesn't hurt to have it but that extra $2,000 could also be used in other features on the truck (or upgrades to the boat) so I don't want to spend on features that wont be of use.

Can anyone help break down for me if there are any real benefits to these features when already towing well under capacity, or are these features all simply related to increasing towing capacity?

• Automatic locking rear differential
  • Handling/Trailering2 Suspension Package
  • Enhanced cooling radiator
  • Revised shock tuning
  • Heavier duty rear springs and increased RGAWR
  • 9.76" rear axle
  • 3.42 axle ratio (gas engine), 3.73 axle ratio (diesel engine)
  • Trailer brake controller

Locking rear diff is good for pulling out of slippery boat ramps.

Heavier suspension is always beneficial when towing almost anything bigger than a lawn mower with a half ton, it might even include a better tire.

Enhanced cooling is always good, seems like GM stuff needs the upgrade more than other brands, at least in the past.

Built in brake controller is a great thing.

Worth the 2k all the way.

18 hours ago, Jordan22 said:

Hill Descent Control

This is only at very low speed. Think rock crawling while off-roading. 

I would absolutely get the max trailering package. 

With the baby diesel you would also get the engine brake, which is what would be helpful for those mountain passes

Edited by JeffK
Correcting Siri for not knowing which "brake" I meant
  • Like 1

Also, how much of a difference will it be towing with the standard 4 cylinder turbo vs a V8? Does anyone have experience towing with both engine types in similar trucks and towing weight to compare the difference? I know the easy answer is that the V8 will be better (more torque) but wondering if it's necessary or not. Just bought a boat and now buying a new truck so trying to keep a dollar or two in the bank account at the end of the day, haha

12 hours ago, Jordan22 said:

. . . if there are any real benefits to these features when already towing well under capacity . . .?

I am not sure I agree with the well-under-capacity premise if you are towing wake boats with a 1/2 ton.  I'd like to see the capacities sticker on the actual truck that comes with off-road gear.  And I pretty much always assume you are underestimating the weight of lake-ready-loaded-boat in tow plus the gear in the truck and the people in the truck until a cat scale shows otherwise.  I don't see any likely scenario where you will regret having extra tow capacity with a 1/2 ton if your purpose is towing wake boats.  

Edited by jjackkrash
18 minutes ago, jjackkrash said:

I am not sure I agree with the well-under-capacity premise if you are towing wake boats with a 1/2 ton.  I'd like to see the capacities sticker on the actual truck that comes with off-road gear.  And I pretty much always assume you are underestimating the weight of lake-ready-loaded-boat in tow plus the gear in the truck and the people in the truck until a cat scale shows otherwise.  I don't see any likely scenario where you will regret having extra tow capacity with a 1/2 ton if your purpose is towing wake boats.  

I've weighed the boat + trailer on a scale prior to purchasing. It comes out to 5,500 (including tongue weight). Boat is listed at 3,500 lbs dry weight, trailer is around 1,500 and then an extra 500 lbs for accessories and a half tank of gas.

Obviously, a V8 and the "Max Trailer Package" can't hurt, but I guess I'm trying to decide if it's worth $3,000 more and probably $1,000+ more in gas expenses per year? Alternatively, I could spend that money on boat upgrades or water sport "toys".

Am I going to notice a real difference towing 5,500 lbs with the 4 cylinder Turbocharge (9,000 lb tow capacity) compared to the V8 and the Max Trailering Package? 

6 minutes ago, Jordan22 said:

I've weighed the boat + trailer on a scale prior to purchasing. It comes out to 5,500 (including tongue weight). Boat is listed at 3,500 lbs dry weight, trailer is around 1,500 and then an extra 500 lbs for accessories and a half tank of gas.

Obviously, a V8 and the "Max Trailer Package" can't hurt, but I guess I'm trying to decide if it's worth $3,000 more and probably $1,000+ more in gas expenses per year? Alternatively, I could spend that money on boat upgrades or water sport "toys".

Am I going to notice a real difference towing 5,500 lbs with the 4 cylinder Turbocharge (9,000 lb tow capacity) compared to the V8 and the Max Trailering Package? 

Have you considered the diesel?  I have it in my Yukon XL and love it.

3 minutes ago, amartin said:

Have you considered the diesel?  I have it in my Yukon XL and love it.

The Diesel option is another $800 more than the V8 gas. Not a big difference in price, but what would be the advantage of Diesel over a V8. Honestly, my biggest hesitancy with Diesel is that I'll make a bonehead mistake and put gasoline in it at some point just out of second nature habit my whole life.

As a summary, these are the engine options:

• 2.7L Turbo High-Output engine 8-speed automatic transmission

• 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine 10-speed automatic transmission

• 3.0L Duramax® Turbo Diesel engine 10-speed automatic transmission

@Jordan22 Do you happen to be an engineer? You sound just like my brother in law that extremely over thinks his purchases. If $2k is making this a difficult decision, no offence, then maybe a new truck is not what you need. Buy a year old one with all the stuff you're pondering and save even more money. 

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, BlindSquirrel said:

@Jordan22 Do you happen to be an engineer? You sound just like my brother in law that extremely over thinks his purchases. If $2k is making this a difficult decision, no offence, then maybe a new truck is not what you need. Buy a year old one with all the stuff you're pondering and save even more money. 

Ha, close. I work in Analytics so you're right I do have a tendency to overthink/analyze every detail.

Honestly, I'm mostly seeking knowledge from those who are more experienced. As a first time boat and (soon to be) truck owner I have a lot to learn. Rather than just spend money on the "best" options, I'd like to learn and know what I'm getting if that makes sense. In the big picture, $3k more for a V8 and Max Trailering Package isn't much more so I'm certainly leaning that direction if it's offering more than just "increased towing capacity" that won't be needed.

Edited by Jordan22
  • Like 1