Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

First time boat owner ('03 LSV) looking for help identifying parts on boat

Jordan22

Hi all- First time boat owner (2003 Wakesetter LSV). I have a lot to learn still so looking for some help understanding some parts on the boat...

For context, a couple projects I'm working on are re-installing the heater which was taken out by previous owner to make room for a subwoofer (I'm planning on moving the subwoofer into the port side compartment with the batteries to put the heater back in). The other thing I want to do is to (re)install a depth finder which I believe has been taken out and most likely replaced where the Perfect Pass currently is on the dashboard. With that said, I'm not sure exactly where the transducer used to be or more importantly where the best place to put the transducer for the new depth finder is. For reference, this boat also has an aftermarket surfgate system.

Here are some pics of parts underneath the hull I'm trying to figure out (with my guesses):

Inside the port-side batter storage area, there is this hose which is seemingly running straight down from below the glove box and into the hull. What is this doing? There is also another one on the starboard side. What is the purpose of these? Are they someone related to the heating system?

Can anyone help identify/explain the images above or offer any tips for (re)installing the heater and a depth finder on the boat?

Much appreciated.

Jordan

Good luck with the new boat.

My $.02

Yes on the water intake and the paddle wheel speedometer.  Third pic is unfamiliar to me but shaped like it might be a pitot tube speedometer? 

The interior hoses are likely fresh air intake which route air thought the hull of the boat to the engine compartment.

27 minutes ago, amartin said:

Good luck with the new boat.

My $.02

Yes on the water intake and the paddle wheel speedometer.  Third pic is unfamiliar to me but shaped like it might be a pitot tube speedometer? 

The interior hoses are likely fresh air intake which route air thought the hull of the boat to the engine compartment.

Appreciate the reply. If that's the case with the hose, where is the "fresh air" coming from? The hose seems to run right into the underside of the dashboard/glovebox. I don't see any sort of air vents or anything like that.

Third picture is the water temperature sensor for display on the gauge. With that hose, one on each side of the boat. That is the air intake for the engine room. Air scoops under the windshield supply those hoses which should be plumbed into a hole in the sole(floor). They made them too short which requires you to regularly retuck them into the hole in the sole.

35 minutes ago, Jordan22 said:

Appreciate the reply. If that's the case with the hose, where is the "fresh air" coming from? The hose seems to run right into the underside of the dashboard/glovebox. I don't see any sort of air vents or anything like that.

IMG_3582.jpeg

19 minutes ago, electricjohn said:

Third picture is the water temperature sensor for display on the gauge. With that hose, one on each side of the boat. That is the air intake for the engine room. Air scoops under the windshield supply those hoses which should be plumbed into a hole in the sole(floor). They made them too short which requires you to regularly retuck them into the hole in the sole.

For the water temp sensor, that must be after market installation by prior owner? It doesn't seem like the boat originally had that based on looking at other boats (example here: https://www.boats.com/power-boats/2003-malibu-wakesetter-lsv-23-9082628/)

My boat has Perfect Pass installed and replaced on the dashboard where the tachometer originally was?

If I want to install a depth finder, what are my options for placing the transducer? Do I drill another through hole next to the water temp sensor, or possibly replace the water temp sensor with a new transducer that can read both depth and water temp?

1 hour ago, Jordan22 said:

For the water temp sensor, that must be after market installation by prior owner? It doesn't seem like the boat originally had that based on looking at other boats (example here: https://www.boats.com/power-boats/2003-malibu-wakesetter-lsv-23-9082628/)

My boat has Perfect Pass installed and replaced on the dashboard where the tachometer originally was?

If I want to install a depth finder, what are my options for placing the transducer? Do I drill another through hole next to the water temp sensor, or possibly replace the water temp sensor with a new transducer that can read both depth and water temp?

Look up the Hawkeyedepth sounder, I think @Nitrousbird might have installed one on his boat. I would look for a thru hull transducer. My Lowrance transducer is mounted thru the hull near the observer seat.

The perfect pass can replace the original tachometer. The perfect pass displays rpms. Perfect pass is well worth losing a stand alone tachometer. 

Edited by Bozboat
  • Like 1
13 minutes ago, Bozboat said:

Look up the Hawkeye depth sounder, I think @Nitrousbird might have installed one on his boat. I would look for a thru hull transducer. My Lowrance transducer is mounted thru the hull near the observer seat.

The perfect pass can replace the original tachometer. The perfect pass displays rpms. Perfect pass is well worth losing a stand alone tachometer. 

I'm not seeing any other transducer on the bottom of the boat? It should have come with one factory installed, correct?

Also, I'm noticing the Perfect Pass wasn't turning on today (even when the battery is on)? The boat is winterized and in storage so I can't turn the engine on, but does it need the engine on to even turn on or is something disconnected? I saw it working just fine when test driving the boat on the water last month.

26 minutes ago, Jordan22 said:

I'm not seeing any other transducer on the bottom of the boat? It should have come with one factory installed, correct?

Also, I'm noticing the Perfect Pass wasn't turning on today (even when the battery is on)? The boat is winterized and in storage so I can't turn the engine on, but does it need the engine on to even turn on or is something disconnected? I saw it working just fine when test driving the boat on the water last month.

Did you try it at key on? It should not do anything unless the ignition is on. If you turned the key on and nothing happened and your boat has been winterized, most likely something is disconnected or the kill switch has been pulled.

3 minutes ago, Bozboat said:

Did you try it at key on? It should not do anything unless the ignition is on. If you turned the key on and nothing happened and your boat has been winterized, most likely something is disconnected or the kill switch has been pulled.

I didn't try that but it sounds like it is required to have the Perfect Pass turn on? I figured it would turn on with just the battery turned just like how the sound system works without any key in the ignition.

5 minutes ago, Jordan22 said:

I didn't try that but it sounds like it is required to have the Perfect Pass turn on? I figured it would turn on with just the battery turned just like how the sound system works without any key in the ignition.

When the ignition is turned on the servo motor on the throttle cable tightens up some slack and the PP unit seeks and acquires a GPS signal. No reason for that if you have the engine ignition off.

11 hours ago, Steve B. said:

My transducer is only on the inside of the hull... I think. Located just adjacent to the bilge pump. I think it just blasts thru the hull? It's a Hawkeye and works really well.

I have a thru hull Faria mounted in the ski locker at the aft starboard corner.   It works great and is out of the way of the ballast bag there or skis.

13 hours ago, Jordan22 said:

For the water temp sensor, that must be after market installation by prior owner?

It is identical to my 2003 model, so.....no. It displays on the middle gauge, along with water temp, hours, and time via the scroll switch. I don't have a depth gauge.

Edited by electricjohn
3 hours ago, minnmarker said:

I have a thru hull Faria mounted in the ski locker at the aft starboard corner.   It works great and is out of the way of the ballast bag there or skis.

Wow, I had no idea that a transducer could "shoot" through the hull. An "in hull" transducer seems like the way to go then to avoid having to drill a hole for a transducer, right?

So, is this the "in hull" Faria depth finder you have @minnmarkerhttps://www.amazon.com/Faria-hull-Depth-Sounder-Transducer/dp/B001EYFN2Q/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3TDI3EP75ZRWU&keywords=faria+depth+finder&qid=1701021186&sprefix=faria+depthe+find%2Caps%2C147&sr=8-2&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840

20 hours ago, Jordan22 said:

Wow, I had no idea that a transducer could "shoot" through the hull. An "in hull" transducer seems like the way to go then to avoid having to drill a hole for a transducer, right?

So, is this the "in hull" Faria depth finder you have @minnmarkerhttps://www.amazon.com/Faria-hull-Depth-Sounder-Transducer/dp/B001EYFN2Q/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3TDI3EP75ZRWU&keywords=faria+depth+finder&qid=1701021186&sprefix=faria+depthe+find%2Caps%2C147&sr=8-2&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840

Min.e is the Faria model 3751.  Had it for 5 summers so far and it's worked well. 

3 hours ago, minnmarker said:

Awesome. Reviews on Amazon also seem good so I'll plan to go with that model. So, you have it in the aft-most part of the ski locker and then just have the ballast bag just forward of that so it doesn't interfere. When the ballast bag is empty, do you not find it moving around at all inside the ski locker and then covering the transducer? I don't imagine that will create an issue other than the ski locker hatch might not stay closed. I know that even without sitting on top of anything, the bag when completely full, the nozzle on the bag can poke up and make the hatch "jump" open when going over any types of waves if that makes sense. 

On 11/26/2023 at 10:55 AM, Jordan22 said:

Only downside is if glued incorrectly (void or air pocket) then you won't get good results.  While not as convenient to install, I prefer thru-hull transducers. They are much easier to replace if when one goes bad.

• Like 1
On 11/27/2023 at 12:26 PM, Jordan22 said:

Awesome. Reviews on Amazon also seem good so I'll plan to go with that model. So, you have it in the aft-most part of the ski locker and then just have the ballast bag just forward of that so it doesn't interfere. When the ballast bag is empty, do you not find it moving around at all inside the ski locker and then covering the transducer? I don't imagine that will create an issue other than the ski locker hatch might not stay closed. I know that even without sitting on top of anything, the bag when completely full, the nozzle on the bag can poke up and make the hatch "jump" open when going over any types of waves if that makes sense. 

I have a loose piece of 4x4 next to the transducer to prevent the bag from sliding back and putting pressure on the transducer.  Maybe unnecessary.   As Jordan22 said, take care when mounting.  Read, read, measure, place, then glue.

Edited by minnmarker
addition