Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sold 2010 VLX, Next Boat a 21 VLX or 22 LSV

MidwestVTX

Hey Malibu Friends, I sold my 2010 VLX with a wake hull and am shopping for my next boat.  I'm either going with a 22 LSV or 21 VLX.  I like the 2019-2022 range and want to stay with a pointy bow, thus not looking at 21 LXs. 

Has anyone made this transition?  I was pretty happy with the ski wake on my VLX, and can say that having owned 2 VTXs in the past.  The surf was great about half the time, but know I'll see a big upgrade with either new boat. 

I'm leaning toward the 22 LSV, but just want to make sure the slalom wake at 32/34 mph isn't drastically worse than my 2010 VLX.  Also wondering if the 409 or M5 is enough in the 22 LSV.  Any feedback would be great!  Thanks.

I don't have experience on a 2010 VLX but either of those newer boats are going to be heavier and not have as good of a ski wake.  M5 is a great motor for WI elevation in a 22' or less boat. 

ahopkins22LSV

I have only looked at the slalom wake at on our 22LSV, but it does flatten out at 34mph. I think if you skied in front of the rooster tail, it would be fine. Or far enough behind it you will be fine. It also depends on what you are looking to get out of a set behind it. You aren't going to rip a course or a course simulated set, but if you are looking to go have fun and make some pretty good turns, I feel it will be good.

We have the M5 in ours and I started with the 2249 and it worked just fine for surfing and wake, but super high rpms for everything. I swapped to the 2277 this year and it is much improved. I can hit the "speed wall" while surfing or trying to get on plane with max ballast for wakeboarding, but it is when I have a boat full. So in short, M5 will be good in WI, but you might want to play with props for your uses.

Thanks, Sixer.  I figure I'm going to downgrade on skiing, just curious is one is noticably worse than the other.  

Thanks, Ahopkins22lsv, too.  Is that 2277 prop more pitched for speed then?  Also, appreciate those in depth VTX reviews in the past.  

ahopkins22LSV
2 minutes ago, MidwestVTX said:

Thanks, Sixer.  I figure I'm going to downgrade on skiing, just curious is one is noticably worse than the other.  

Thanks, Ahopkins22lsv, too.  Is that 2277 prop more pitched for speed then?  Also, appreciate those in depth VTX reviews in the past.  

I am not a prop expert, I bought it based on other experiences here and friends that switched to it. But, yes, I think so. My rpms dropped by 3-400 while surfing and about 5-600 while cruising. I noticed the difference in my fuel usage.

We just upgraded to a 2022 22 lsv. It has the M5 and we are happy with it as well. I will probably look at the prop change mentioned above too as rpm’s are high at ski speeds and cruising.

We moved up from a 2007 21 lsv Sunscape - I knew it would not ski as good as that boat given the extra weight and tanks etc even though not full. I was pleasantly surprised by the ski wake -ski the 22 lsv at 34 mph 28 off 4 people in the boat. It’s not a course boat but I was pleasantly surprised and impressed with the wake given the size of the boat. Great for a free ski!  We did get the diamond hull. 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, stevoski said:

We just upgraded to a 2022 22 lsv. It has the M5 and we are happy with it as well. I will probably look at the prop change mentioned above too as rpm’s are high at ski speeds and cruising.

We moved up from a 2007 21 lsv Sunscape - I knew it would not ski as good as that boat given the extra weight and tanks etc even though not full. I was pleasantly surprised by the ski wake -ski the 22 lsv at 34 mph 28 off 4 people in the boat. It’s not a course boat but I was pleasantly surprised and impressed with the wake given the size of the boat. Great for a free ski!  We did get the diamond hull. 

Thanks for the reply.  Did you try a couple of line lengths that brought you to 28 off?  I'm guessing that was to get in front of a rooster tail?  

ahopkins22LSV

I suggest taking a ski rope and put the handle on the pylon with the line out that back of the boat, set the speed to what you would prefer to ski and look at where the sections of the line fall on the wake and pick the length that looks the best on the wake. I did this on both of our VTX’s and it worked well. If I get around to try skiing our 22LSV I will be doing the same thing. 

Good to hear that 15 off is decent too.  I think I'm leaning toward the 22 LSV.  As long as skiing is OK, it's probably worth having the better surf wake.  Always teaching people to surf, as I'm sure you guys are too.

Shameless plug, I've got a 2019 22 LSV with ~220 hours that I'm debating selling. Located in Utah, but I've shipped boats before and can help. Let me know if you are interested!

14 hours ago, dshack said:

Shameless plug, I've got a 2019 22 LSV with ~220 hours that I'm debating selling. Located in Utah, but I've shipped boats before and can help. Let me know if you are interested!

Probably a long shot with the distance, but you never know.  Message me the details if you decide to sell.  Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Chiming in to agree that the M5 is enough in the 22LSV.  We've demoed a few in SE Wisconsin - maybe close to you - and the boats did well at 100% stock + pnp at wakeboard speed.  The boat would porpoise if you push the wedge past 4 in chop, 5 in smooth water.  1 rider, 2 people in the boat.  Should slalom and surf with plenty of power for you.

On 11/21/2023 at 8:49 AM, ahopkins22LSV said:

You are really testing my memory right now lol. On the 2249 I think it was about 47 and I know I have seen almost 50 with the 2277. The bow starts bouncing at 50 mph though.

Wow!  I guess this goes to show the hull of the 22LSV and its little brother Axis T220 are probably quite different.  I have the 2277 (and the M6) on/in our T220 and it tops out at 44.  I imagine it would maybe hit 40 with the standard/non-speed prop. 

Edited by rennis
ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, rennis said:

Wow!  I guess this goes to show the hull of the 22LSV and its little brother Axis T220 are probably quite different.  I have the 2277 (and the M6) on/in our T220 and it tops out at 44.  I imagine it would maybe hit 40 with the standard/non-speed prop. 

I'll have to double check in the spring, but I swear that is what I remember. Most of my data for switching was based off of @Raimie's experience with the 2277, M5 and her T220.

Now if I remember to check in the spring... Will I remember to come back to this thread...?

• Like 2