Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Slow crawl and fumes smell

timelinex

2007 23lsv 350 monsoon

As my 2 young toddlers are growing up,, my boat has become a part time fishing boat haha

We found success trolling at the slowest speed it goes with the throttle snapped on (2.5-3mph).

My first question is if it's bad for the motor or boat to put along at this low of speed for 2 hours at a time?

My second question is in regards to fumes. Something that worries me is that it definitely feels like I smell the exhaust fumes when going that slow in the boat. I figure that's probably normal considering if you are going 3mph, all it takes is a 4mph wind going towards you to get those fumes in your face? Any comments on this? The other concern is it seemed like even after going 20-30mph, we still smelled the fumes. At this point I have no idea if we are just imagining things or if the fumes built up somewhere under the boat and seeping or what?

I was looking at the engine to see if there was any apparent exhaust leaks and during this it seemed like it was making a strange humming. I tried to record it as best as I could....it could also just be a normal whine and I just noticed it now since I'm scrutinizing things.

https://youtu.be/rMlDKWX-z9Y?si=lilkIhq2oIblUkFO

Thoughts?

Edited by timelinex

Definitely go with the trolling motor if able, but if not then for sure take a look at Fresh Air Exhaust.  It will help mitigate (not remove totally) the risk of CO poisoning.  I used to smell exhaust all the time when idling downwind out of the no-wake zone, but with the FAE, it forces the exhaust down and backwards, eventually rising but farther away than otherwise.  It's a worthy upgrade and really quiets the boat if you prefer to hear music and people vs engine noise.

I don't have kids but this reminds me of my buddy's kids on their boat from day 1. The moment you started the engine and idle'd around they'd instantly go to sleep ! For hours !  A trolling motor might be the ticket for long slow adventures.

WOW. So sounds like it's a known thing at slower speeds. Hmmmmm.

Maybe I'll spring for adding a trolling motor. I bet I could make a bracket that can mount between the screws that toe into the teak deck....then wrap that around the side or top and have that act as a mount.

Using an electric tolling motor isn't going to get your the results if troll style fishing is what you are wanting to do.  Trolling motors are great for maneuvering around when cast fishing or for fine boat placement.  Adding an FAE will be your best all around choice to mitigate CO fumes at all speeds and for all activities.  If you get into surfing you really will want FAE to avoid the "station wagon" effect for your passengers and to keep the fumes down for your rider.  

Some sort of a drift sock would probably work well to help control the speed of the boat while you are trolling.

• Like 2

I loved the FAE on my 2006. I installed it after my daughter and I got a bit sick after surfing down wind. It eliminated the smell, and I would definitely do it again on a boat without the factory set up.  I could however still smell the exhaust when we were idling with just the right amount and direction of wind. I think FAE and the trolling motor would be your best bet.  A drift sock as mentioned sounds like a good deal also, but I have zero experience.

Q1 - a long idle period can foul the spark plugs and potentially end up with some fuel wash down the cylinder walls & some oil dilution.  These boats tend to be calibrated on the rich side as watersport boating is operating in a loaded state.  Fuel injected engines idle much better than a carbureted version so that helps.

Q2 - yes, CO emissions will tend to hang around the cabin area of the boat, at low speeds, the frontal area blockage and open transom area will create just enough of a low pressure area to draw the exhaust back in to the boat cabin area.  FAE does help as it entrains the exhaust to where it surfaces farther behind the boat and will have less draw back towards the transom.  You can find articles on CO poisoning from idling boats and people on/near the platform suffering CO poisoning.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice guys.

I know FAE has been mentioned many times. Judging from its description and some FAQ's on theor website, it's most effective after 8mph when the boat is planed and not at no wake speeds. Wake surfing comes to mind.

Anyways, it sounds like there are no wholly great solutions without alot of workaround. I think I'll probably just keep trolling to an hour or less during an outing and call it a day. 

If we ever get overly interested in fishing, we will just get a fishing boat I guess.

Edited by timelinex