Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Perspectives Requested: 2024 Ram 2500 Megacab Limited vs 2024 GMC 2500 Denali Ultimate

DAI

46 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

All the camera angles make parking easier, but it's still not as easy as my half ton was.  These things are absolutely massive...  Clears my 7' garage door by about 1.5 inches.  The AT4x would be a driveway queen at my house.

Definitely won’t fit in my garage.  The Raptor only had about 3 inches to spare between the back wall and garage door.  

3 hours ago, UWSkier said:

I'll be cruising along comfortably towing my camper around 67 MPH or so in the right lane and someone will pass me, then move back into the right lane like they're supposed to, but th

I love doing this to mess with people. 
especially the Tesla and Prius drivers. 😂😂😂

3 hours ago, DAI said:

Definitely won’t fit in my garage.  The Raptor only had about 3 inches to spare between the back wall and garage door.  

I've got about 2 feet behind mine with the tailgate down but even though it fits lenth-wise, it's definitely fat guy in a little coat. 

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, DAI said:

Out with the old, new with the new.  I will miss the Raptor, but it was time to replace it and this fits the bill.  Took delivery in the evening, I will get better pictures over the weekend.

IMG_0154.png

The first time you tow the G with that, you'll wonder how you ever lived with the Raptor towing that heavy load.  Looks good!

That came in much quicker than I’d have expected. The market sure has changed in the last year. 

Congrats. I think you will love it!

The thing feels massive relative to the Raptor.  The tow mirrors will take a little getting used to; it literally cover a compact car at a 4-way stop yesterday where I didn’t see it.   I need to adapt to how the screen is setup also, much different than what I’ve been use to over the past nearly 10-years of F150s.

1 hour ago, DAI said:

The thing feels massive relative to the Raptor.  The tow mirrors will take a little getting used to; it literally cover a compact car at a 4-way stop yesterday where I didn’t see it.   I need to adapt to how the screen is setup also, much different than what I’ve been use to over the past nearly 10-years of F150s.

They make half tons feel like sedans.  The mirror and A pillar do take some adjusting to, but it becomes second nature quickly.

On the screen, I dig how customizable GM made it, and I use Android Auto 100% of the time.  Learning the shortcuts to quickly access the camera and trailering menus is handy, as is learning the locations of the physical HVAC controls.  It's a bit annoying to switch between AA and the infotainment screen if you're looking to use SiriusXM.

4 hours ago, DAI said:

The tow mirrors will take a little getting used to; it literally cover a compact car at a 4-way stop yesterday where I didn’t see it.   

I just went from those tow mirrors on my gmc to a 3rd gen raptor. I miss them every time I put the raptor in reverse, but definitely don’t miss the amount of window real estate they took up! 

20 minutes ago, Pnwrider said:

I just went from those tow mirrors on my gmc to a 3rd gen raptor. I miss them every time I put the raptor in reverse, but definitely don’t miss the amount of window real estate they took up! 

You can swap for f150 tow mirrors on a raptor. After having tow mirrors I don't think I could go back to not. 

In about a week or two the size will feel just normal.  When I switched to a DRW as a daily it was a shock--for about two weeks--then just normal. 

ahopkins22LSV

Awesome looking truck! I am in somewhat of shopping mode although it won’t be for an AT4x haha. 

Stupid question about the GM tow mirrors. So they extend too or are they just stationary in the one position? I’ve never noticed on other trucks while driving around. If I go to a new truck I will most likely be ordering it and planning on checking the tow mirror box too. As I will likely be ordering a 1500. 

2 hours ago, ahopkins22LSV said:

Awesome looking truck! I am in somewhat of shopping mode although it won’t be for an AT4x haha. 

Stupid question about the GM tow mirrors. So they extend too or are they just stationary in the one position? I’ve never noticed on other trucks while driving around. If I go to a new truck I will most likely be ordering it and planning on checking the tow mirror box too. As I will likely be ordering a 1500. 

On the 2500 they extended out even further.  Not sure about 1500.  

• Like 1
19 hours ago, DAI said:

I think most people setup the fisheye mirror section on tow mirrors backwards.  You will definitely be able to find a setting where you can see everything.

15 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

You can swap for f150 tow mirrors on a raptor. After having tow mirrors I don't think I could go back to not. 

Indeed.  I won't own a truck without towing mirrors.  The F150 took about 10 minutes tops to swap both sides, including adding the harness adapter.

33 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

I think most people setup the fisheye mirror section on tow mirrors backwards.  You will definitely be able to find a setting where you can see everything.

Please tell more.  I set mine low enough to see the ground in front of the rear tires, and wide enough to see everything from the edge of the truck to nearly perpendicular.  No blind spot at all. 

The flat mirrors are set so I have to lean out a bit to see the edge of the truck, and low enough so the top is not looking at a bunch of sky.  The idea is to prioritize seeing what is on the sides behind you, not what is directly behind you.

When towing the 8 foot wide box trailer I extend the mirrors and readjust the flats in a bit so I can see a little more behind since the rearview is blocked by the trailer.

13 minutes ago, justgary said:

Please tell more.  I set mine low enough to see the ground in front of the rear tires, and wide enough to see everything from the edge of the truck to nearly perpendicular.  No blind spot at all. 

The flat mirrors are set so I have to lean out a bit to see the edge of the truck, and low enough so the top is not looking at a bunch of sky.  The idea is to prioritize seeing what is on the sides behind you, not what is directly behind you.

When towing the 8 foot wide box trailer I extend the mirrors and readjust the flats in a bit so I can see a little more behind since the rearview is blocked by the trailer.

For my mirrors where the fisheyes are on the outside, I have those adjusted to let me see close to the truck - when the mirrors are in the non moose mode.  The larger inner mirrors are set out to start seeing stuff at the lines of the lane I am in.

When the mirrors are in moose mode, they are more like the mirror arrangement you would have on a Ford/Chev.  I do a similar thing where the fisheye is still showing me the side of the truck and the big part is what is focusing in near the middle of the trailer.  I will say that I much prefer the Ram towing mirrors in the down position and feel like I get a better field of view than the Ford/Chev/Moose mode Ram setup

ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

I’m fairly certain he was speaking about how the mirror blocked his view to the front left, not behind or to the side of him. I drove a loaner gmc for a few days with them and I can see how this would take getting used to. However backing the boat up was much nicer. 

• Like 2
On 2/7/2024 at 9:10 PM, DAI said:

Out with the old, in with the new.  I will miss the Raptor, but it was time to replace it and this fits the bill.  Took delivery in the evening, I will get better pictures over the weekend.

IMG_0154.png

I love your new truck and am jelly!  A friend of mine has the same truck and it is nice.  If you plan to run this on gravel roads, you may want to look into mud flaps and/or PPF for the sides.  He has rock chips from some gravel roads on his.

4 hours ago, ahopkins22LSV said:

I’m fairly certain he was speaking about how the mirror blocked his view to the front left, not behind or to the side of him. I drove a loaner gmc for a few days with them and I can see how this would take getting used to. However backing the boat up was much nicer. 

Exactly - between 10-11 and 1-2 field of view

• Like 2