Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Perspectives Requested: 2024 Ram 2500 Megacab Limited vs 2024 GMC 2500 Denali Ultimate

DAI

I’m looking to replace the Raptor before next summer and I’m between the 2 trucks in the title.  I’ve looked at both twice and drive them each once.  Neither have everything I’m exactly looking for, but with only 3 options available I have to compromise on some things.  Ford is third on my list due to the harshest ride quality of the 3 and I’ve had a Ford since 2015.  This will be used to due the boat, take to mountain bike trails and races, potentially pull a rental camper for a few weekends a year, and my daily winter driver.

Ram - The interior feels higher quality than the GMC.  It has a smoother ride and like the air suspension.  I like (for the kids) the reclining seats in the back with the megacab.  I don’t care for the size of the floor center hump in the back for traveling with the dog, but feels like there is a little more leg room in the back than the GMC.  I like the Ramboxes, but need to confirm I can still load 4 full size mountain bikes in the back with the narrowed box.  I’d get the blacked out package.  

GMC - Interior quality looks nicer in the online pictures than in person (relative to the Ram), but the layout is really good and the massaging seats are a plus.  I really like the tailgate.  The Denali Ultimate exterior is sharp and looks more modern than the Ram (again, relative).  I like the independent front suspension to avoid any “death wobble” potential.  The features, such as heads up display and towing cameras, are great.

Additional thoughts/perspectives?

My 2023 Raptor tows better, handles washboards, and high speed off-road whoops way better than my 2020. The 2024 raptor gets even better fox shocks than the 23. Don’t need any bump stops, because they upped the towing capacity. Sorry to see you leave the fun😂

29 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

In terms of the RAM "floor hump"  Do you have people in the back seat when you are with dog?  If not, pretty much any trim level should have the fold flat floor - don't they?

image.png.945bd3383ee37ce189a8c507db390a59.png

Yep, my 12 and 11 year old are in the back with the dog

15 minutes ago, surfdude said:

My 2023 Raptor tows better, handles washboards, and high speed off-road whoops way better than my 2020. The 2024 raptor gets even better fox shocks than the 23. Don’t need any bump stops, because they upped the towing capacity. Sorry to see you leave the fun😂

I would love to get a new Raptor, but need something more capable for the g23.  

• Like 2

Have you driven a 23 F350? They have really improved ride quality, the technology and power is by far the furthest ahead. I find the ford feels least like a HD truck. Rams are a little slow in my opinion. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, ahopkins22LSV said:

Does the GMC have super cruise or whatever it is called? That is a huge factor imo. It’s being tested to be released to use while towing as well. 

It does have the BlueCruise (I think it’s called) but they can’t advertise it has it yet.  It’s not really a factor for me since I never even use cruise control.

1 hour ago, Cole2001 said:

Have you driven a 23 F350? They have really improved ride quality, the technology and power is by far the furthest ahead. I find the ford feels least like a HD truck. Rams are a little slow in my opinion. 

I drove a 2023 F250 powerstroke.  Completely agree the Ford felt it had the most power, with Ram probably being third.  But all of them are more than capable for my needs, and I’m probably prioritizing interior quality, fit and finish, and best ride quality.  When I want fast, I’ll just take the M8 Comp out ;)

I have a mega cab, 2018 ctd, and love it. The extra room is a real benefit for the rear seat passenger comfort. Reclining the seats and more knee room was a big player in my decision. We also use the room behind the rear seats to safely store our surf boards during transit. There is also under floor storage back there I put ratchet straps in. I'm surprised at your comment of the Ram riding smoother than the GMC, mine is not even close to as smooth as my brother's high country Chevy. Glad Ram got that worked out. I do agree on Ram being ahead on the fit and finish but I have GMC ahead on the tech stuff. Not sure how necessary most of it is, but nice to have I guess. 

Did they add a rear bump for the drive shaft? The floor is flat on mine. I guess either way, like the jeep says, you should be able to lay the seats flat.... albeit much higher off the ground. So I could see it being an issue with your furry friends. 

Ram box- For me, I don't care for the extra lines it adds to the bed. But maybe with the narrow bed, it would hold your bikes at a better angle? With the mega cab, there is a ton of room under the rear seats to store a good amount. I also don't see the ram box as really easy access, especially the things at the bottom of the box. 

Which one to buy? You can't go wrong with either in my opinion. If they were the same price, I'd get the ram for the mega cab, looks, and the cummins. Assuming you're looking at a diesel. If gas... I guess whichever paint color you like the best. I did see a Ram recently that had a sparkly black paint that looked really sharp.

Edited by BlindSquirrel

I felt GMC and Ford were about the same on fit and finish /quality.  I prefer the GMC new interior design.  Ram just felt like a higher quality interior compared to the other 2 (IMO)

My two cents -

Massaging seats are a bit gimmicky and I suspect rarely used often once the fun of them wears off.  I would not put much weight into that as a decision factor.  

I still can’t get past my perceptions and experience with Ram quality.  I test drove one before buying the current Ford and although the materials were nice, the headliner was already sagging and the steering wheel squeaked as you turned it.  I know plenty love them but my experiences with them have not been great.  

I know you don’t value super cruise but for those that do, I quit prioritizing it in our current search due to it ultimately needing a subscription to use.  

The dog would probably adjust to a hump and use it as a pillow.  

Either will be great. How close and how good are each dealer?  It could come down to that and you it the door price.  

I am Ford guy but will save those opinions given the two options you listed.  I would ultimately pick the GMC of those two.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, hethj7 said:

My two cents -

Massaging seats are a bit gimmicky and I suspect rarely used often once the fun of them wears off.  I would not put much weight into that as a decision factor.  

I still can’t get past my perceptions and experience with Ram quality.  I test drove one before buying the current Ford and although the materials were nice, the headliner was already sagging and the steering wheel squeaked as you turned it.  I know plenty love them but my experiences with them have not been great.  

I know you don’t value super cruise but for those that do, I quit prioritizing it in our current search due to it ultimately needing a subscription to use.  

Either will be great. How close and how good are each dealer?  It could come down to that and you it the door price.  

I am Ford guy but will save those opinions given the two options you listed.  I would ultimately pick the GMC of those two.  

Also as a Ford guy I would mirror this.  I drove a Limited Longhorn before my last Ford purchase and though the interior was nice, just didn't feel super solid.  The screen is also somewhat of a joke from what I could see in my limited experience.  Seems like they plopped a huge screen in it without any real purpose.  To me the Ford tech is much better.  I haven't been in the newest gen GM yet though really like the way it looks.  

i have had the big 3 i always loved dodge limited mega cab the only downfall is the 6 speed trans its a turd and the f250 needs a full redesign the obvious winner is denali ultimate or chevy high country

FWIW I have a '22 Roush F250 and it rides really well for a HD truck.  The factory trucks ride like doo doo, 100% agreed.  The Roush just has a basic Fox 2.0 suspension upgrade.  Easy to make these ride nicer if you like the rest of the truck better than the competition.  I would say the Denali, out of the box, still rides better than my Fox2.0 F250, but my F250 rides MUCH better than my buddy's 2023 Ram 3500.  

I had a 2012 RAM Long Horn and replaced it in May with a 2023 Laramie. 

I don’t think there is even a question. RAM has the best interior. 

Even in a lower trim, my 2023 is WAY quieter than my buddies 2022 Ford Platinum. And as far as being “slower”, the RAM pulls harder under load than his. 

But the 2500 RAM has lower output and a different transmission than my 3500. 

I am solidly in the RAM camp as my past experiences with multiple trucks has always been good. But I also don’t think you could go wrong with either choice. 

Cards on the table, I also get employee purchase.  But even if I didn’t I’d still buy RAM. If you want a friends and family certificate (and the dealer will honor it) send me a PM. 

Edited by RyanB

Im a GM guy and have a 2024 3500 Denali Ultimate.  It's an absolutely fantastic truck.  I love the interior including the feel of the leather, and especially the screen and camera system, but acknowledge that Ram has a very nice interior as well.  It also would take a lot to convince me that the overall power train, ride quality and build quality of the truck is not the best of the big three (while also acknowledging the Ford has a ridiculous amount for power).  Thankfully, all the new HD trucks are awesome so there's no real wrong answer.  

• Like 3
8 hours ago, BlindSquirrel said:

I have a mega cab, 2018 ctd, and love it. The extra room is a real benefit for the rear seat passenger comfort. Reclining the seats and more knee room was a big player in my decision. We also use the room behind the rear seats to safely store our surf boards during transit. There is also under floor storage back there I put ratchet straps in. I'm surprised at your comment of the Ram riding smoother than the GMC, mine is not even close to as smooth as my brother's high country Chevy. Glad Ram got that worked out. I do agree on Ram being ahead on the fit and finish but I have GMC ahead on the tech stuff. Not sure how necessary most of it is, but nice to have I guess. 

Did they add a rear bump for the drive shaft? The floor is flat on mine. I guess either way, like the jeep says, you should be able to lay the seats flat.... albeit much higher off the ground. So I could see it being an issue with your furry friends. 

Ram box- For me, I don't care for the extra lines it adds to the bed. But maybe with the narrow bed, it would hold your bikes at a better angle? With the mega cab, there is a ton of room under the rear seats to store a good amount. I also don't see the ram box as really easy access, especially the things at the bottom of the box. 

Which one to buy? You can't go wrong with either in my opinion. If they were the same price, I'd get the ram for the mega cab, looks, and the cummins. Assuming you're looking at a diesel. If gas... I guess whichever paint color you like the best. I did see a Ram recently that had a sparkly black paint that looked really sharp.

If gas…pick the one with sparkly paint 

Sorry, I’m roflmao 

• Haha 1
18 hours ago, hethj7 said:

My two cents -

I would agree personally on the massaging seats, but we’ve had them on 2 vehicles now and the wife likes to use them on longer trips.  Doesn’t make-or-break my decision, more just a factor.

I’m evaluating multiple dealers as service quality is highly important to me.  Essentially for a premium truck I expect premium service, which includes getting me in a timely manner (days, not weeks) and a loaner vehicle for larger maintenance/service appointment.  Basically have told each of dealers I’ve spoke with that if the truck has an issue right before a planned vacation where I need to tow, they need to provide a loaner that can handle my towing needs.  I’m willing to pay a little more out the door to get better service while owning the truck.

17 hours ago, kstateskier1 said:

Also as a Ford guy I would mirror this.  I drove a Limited Longhorn before my last Ford purchase and though the interior was nice, just didn't feel super solid.  The screen is also somewhat of a joke from what I could see in my limited experience.  Seems like they plopped a huge screen in it without any real purpose.  To me the Ford tech is much better.  I haven't been in the newest gen GM yet though really like the way it looks.  

One of things I prefer to the GMC vs Ram on the screen side is that they still have physical buttons for climate control, including the heated/cooled seats and heated steering wheel; Ram put that all in the screen.   The knock I have on the GMC is that when driving the transmission stalk blocks a portion of the center stack touch screen.  

11 hours ago, Bozboat said:

If gas…pick the one with sparkly paint 

Sorry, I’m roflmao 

Definitely going diesel, and sparkly paint ;)

Thank you everyone for the perspective, and not turning this into a brand-bashing thread!!!   :werule:

• Like 3
ahopkins22LSV

The Ram interior is definitely nice although after using both the portrait screen in the ram and the new Fords and landscape screen in the GM I feel the layout of the landscape screen works way better than the portrait screens. And I agree that having the physical buttons are a huge plus. So much quicker and easier. 

On high end vehicles, everything is super nice now. It’s really just personal preference. We all have our past experiences that sway us but I don’t really think anyone makes a bad performing HD truck or a bad interior. Different sure but they are all nice. 

Our GMC Cadillac dealership is amazing. They provide the service experience you are expecting. 

23 hours ago, ahopkins22LSV said:

Does the GMC have super cruise or whatever it is called? That is a huge factor imo. It’s being tested to be released to use while towing as well. 

I'll be in the market for a new truck in 2024.  I agree with what one of the other guys said about how nice they all are and it comes down to personal preferences.  Ever since I've become a Tesla fan I've really learned to appreciate the auto cruise feature (or whatever each manufacturer calls it).  In Ca traffic it is a game changer.  I'm curious what manufacture has the best (auto cruise) and will base my decision (mostly) on that.  Let me know what you think on your experiences with this.  

22 minutes ago, teamerickson said:

I think consumer reports rated the GM supercruise the best of all the driver assistant options. I've had Tesla and now Ford. I actually think ford bluecruise is better than Tesla autppilot. 

Not to derail this too far, but what is the point of the autopilot if it isn’t completely autonomous/FSD? I’ve watched the commercials for the GMC trucks that can tow with supercruise but can’t understand what the benefit is.  Is it really a reason to choose one truck over another? 

Granted, as far as cars go I’m a bit of a lud (#savethemanuals) but I’m open to understanding what other people think.