Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Which one: 2011 LSV 247 w/ L96 or 2007 LSV 247 w/ 8.1?

Circleof5ths

So we are looking at two different Malibu Wakesetter LSV 247's. One is a 2011, the other is a 2007. Both in equal shape. 6k price difference between them.

We live in Colorado, 5800' ft elevation. Surfing will be the predominant sport, then wake boarding and cruising.

Local lakes will be: Carter Lake & Chatfield Res. Out of state lakes: Angostura Res (SD), Powell (UT) and Glendo (WY). 

We are a family of six, Mom/Dad and four teenage boys. One dog. 

With the condition of both boats being equal, outside of the 11' having Cats and touch screens (and anything else I may be missing), I'm trying to decided between them based on engine and performance when loaded, at altitude. 

The 2007 has the 8.1 engine which everyone raves about regardless of ballast weight and people load. Though when it comes to the 2011 with the L96, I can't find much information about it's capability running at altitude while fully loaded/maxed. I'm only finding reviews at lower elevations.

So I have a concern, "With the 2011, will we find ourselves loaded up with guests and extra ballast not being able to get on plane?" I know we can re-prop but am I missing the obvious or overthinking? Is the 2011 a no brainer or go with the 2007 and enjoy the 8.1 power and simplicity of the dash?

Edited by Circleof5ths

I’d personally go with the 07 and analog dash. The touch screens are a known failure point and cost $3k to replace. Of course the wedge actuators on the 07 are also that much older and are also likely to fail sooner or later, but they are only $1k to replace. 

if it’s an illusion tower on the 07 that’s also a potential weak point vs the g3 on the 11. 

trailer maintenance is also critical and often overlooked. Make sure whichever you choose has a well maintained trailer or else plan to take it in for preventative maintenance as soon as you buy. 

repropping isn’t a big deal and you may need to reprop the 8.1 if you surf heavy. Most folks never test the boats’ true limits. 

Edited by shawndoggy

My opinion the 07 is either over priced or the 11 is a really good deal. Traditionally that 4 year gap has a pretty decent price difference just having a touch screen and a few other modern features. 

On 11/9/2023 at 11:18 PM, shawndoggy said:

I’d personally go with the 07 and analog dash. The touch screens are a known failure point and cost $3k to replace. Of course the wedge actuators on the 07 are also that much older and are also likely to fail sooner or later, but they are only $1k to replace. 

if it’s an illusion tower on the 07 that’s also a potential weak point vs the g3 on the 11. 

trailer maintenance is also critical and often overlooked. Make sure whichever you choose has a well maintained trailer or else plan to take it in for preventative maintenance as soon as you buy. 

repropping isn’t a big deal and you may need to reprop the 8.1 if you surf heavy. Most folks never test the boats’ true limits. 

Yeah the 1.8k to 3k touch screen replacement cost doesn't sound appealing.  

Here's the picture of both. I assume that is an Illusion tower? 

2007:

2011:

2011Malibu247LSVL96.PNG.7ecb2dcd888a45724fc014dd72392405.PNG

On 11/10/2023 at 12:33 AM, Cole2001 said:

My opinion the 07 is either over priced or the 11 is a really good deal. Traditionally that 4 year gap has a pretty decent price difference just having a touch screen and a few other modern features. 

The 2007 is asking $47k. The 2011 is asking 53k. I have seen many of the same condition give or take a year in the same price range for the 2007. Yes, I agree on the 2011 is on the lower side based on what I keep finding but need to see in person this weekend to determine why that is. Pricing on the 2011 era seems to be all over though. 

On 11/10/2023 at 10:55 AM, wakesonthesnake said:

I think the 07 as well.  They were bullet proof, loved my 06.

I do like the simplicity of the 07. Changing out the riser gaskets annually seems to be the requirement.

Edited by Circleof5ths

If the 2011 l96 is enough power that looks like the way better deal. Better tower, board racks, mirror, looks like upgraded ballast, triple axle boatmate trailer, wet sounds tower speakers, should have snap out carpet. Could easily spend 6k upgrading the 07.

Without knowing the hours on them or any other condition notes, all else equal: I would go with the 2011 for reasons mentioned above. As well it looks like a much better find and will hold resale value. As your family grows you will have plenty of room and be years ahead of an 07 technology. The screens are a double edge sword but if you like the old mini screens I have some early 2000’s flip phones to sell you!

Get on a creeper and roll around under each of them if you have an opportunity.  Had a 2006 trailer that i had to replace 2 years ago, and if you will trailer any at all you will want a reliable trailer.  Since they can't paint the inside of the tubing they use on these trailers, no matter how good it was when new, it will start to deteriorate.  If you need a new trailer, might help you make a decision...or at least a more reasonable offer.

2 hours ago, Circleof5ths said:

Yeah the 1.8k to 3k touch screen replacement cost doesn't sound appealing.  

https://www.mtcscreens.com/ provides an alternative "forever fix".  I have one sitting in my garage right now to be installed this winter. 

The one thing I love about the screens is the ability to create a preset and get pretty much the same wake every single time.  Not saying that switches are better or worse, but once you have the wake dialed, its a preset away.

3 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

If the 2011 l96 is enough power that looks like the way better deal. Better tower, board racks, mirror, looks like upgraded ballast, triple axle boatmate trailer, wet sounds tower speakers, should have snap out carpet. Could easily spend 6k upgrading the 07.

With no one showing concern for the different engines I'm guessing it's mute point. I mean, if we did fully maxed the boat out with people and ballast I can see the 8.1 being desired but I seriously doubt we will ever do that here at 6000' ft. Now if we have a family reunion trip to Lake Powell....3650' ft elevation...maybe but still rare. I think the 2011 provides more modern updates that will serve us better. Thanks for bring up these points. Appreciated. Plus, if I need more power....solution below:

image.png.6a06fa838354db9a6bd25c833e695bc6.png

1 hour ago, Jgf042 said:

Without knowing the hours on them or any other condition notes, all else equal: I would go with the 2011 for reasons mentioned above. As well it looks like a much better find and will hold resale value. As your family grows you will have plenty of room and be years ahead of an 07 technology. The screens are a double edge sword but if you like the old mini screens I have some early 2000’s flip phones to sell you!

I should have posted more info, sorry, here are the hours: 

2007: 440 hrs

2011: 400 hrs

If you have a water proof case for that flip phone, I'm game! 

1 hour ago, REHinH20 said:

Get on a creeper and roll around under each of them if you have an opportunity.  Had a 2006 trailer that i had to replace 2 years ago, and if you will trailer any at all you will want a reliable trailer.  Since they can't paint the inside of the tubing they use on these trailers, no matter how good it was when new, it will start to deteriorate.  If you need a new trailer, might help you make a decision...or at least a more reasonable offer.

Good point. I know I'm guilty of getting glossy eyed when looking....."Ooooo shiny" and completely miss the obvious. 

Edited by Circleof5ths
32 minutes ago, hunter77ah said:

https://www.mtcscreens.com/ provides an alternative "forever fix".  I have one sitting in my garage right now to be installed this winter. 

The one thing I love about the screens is the ability to create a preset and get pretty much the same wake every single time.  Not saying that switches are better or worse, but once you have the wake dialed, its a preset away.

Switches are simple but I see the benefit in the screens. If mtcscreens.com provides a DYI solution (they say they do, couldn't find the price though) that helps on future replacement costs. 

Is it the touch screen delamination the major problem with the screens? Or do they completely fail all together? 

2 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

Agree with this. The triple axle alone …

just a question of whether the L96 will push the weight. I had a similar PCM/crusader (ZR450 equivalent) in my 2016 T22. Running heavy that motor could still struggle at 4k’. Some of that was due to it being a shorter boat tho, and I’d guess the 247 would be a little less sensitive to needing weight in the bow. At 6k’ you’ll definitely want a 2419 if it doesn’t have one already. 

you’ll max the boat out (power wise) pretty easily at 6k’ no question about it. 

does either boat have upgraded ballast?  

8 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Agree with this. The triple axle alone …

just a question of whether the L96 will push the weight. I had a similar PCM/crusader (ZR450 equivalent) in my 2016 T22. Running heavy that motor could still struggle at 4k’. Some of that was due to it being a shorter boat tho, and I’d guess the 247 would be a little less sensitive to needing weight in the bow. At 6k’ you’ll definitely want a 2419 if it doesn’t have one already. 

you’ll max the boat out (power wise) pretty easily at 6k’ no question about it. 

does either boat have upgraded ballast?  

2007: has three hard tanks stock and three additional sacs. I assume on top of the stock ballast tanks. I asked him for more info on those. 

2011: I will not know until tomorrow. Going to look at it. I'll check the prop too. 

Do you think I'll be wishing for more power or just takes longer to get on plane or possibly not get on plane? What's your prediction?

38 minutes ago, Circleof5ths said:

Switches are simple but I see the benefit in the screens. If mtcscreens.com provides a DYI solution (they say they do, couldn't find the price though) that helps on future replacement costs. 

Is it the touch screen delamination the major problem with the screens? Or do they completely fail all together? 

I think it’s $1300 but there may be a crew discount. @cuescreens might be able to hook you up

26 minutes ago, Circleof5ths said:

2007: has three hard tanks stock and three additional sacs. I assume on top of the stock ballast tanks. I asked him for more info on those. 

2011: I will not know until tomorrow. Going to look at it. I'll check the prop too. 

Do you think I'll be wishing for more power or just takes longer to get on plane or possibly not get on plane? What's your prediction?

Do you plan to surf listed or with a suck gate?

I think if you want the best wave that boat can produce and you are going to be at 6k’, the L96 is going to be at its limits even with a smallish crew. How many people are you going to have on the boat?

18 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Do you plan to surf listed or with a suck gate?

I think if you want the best wave that boat can produce and you are going to be at 6k’, the L96 is going to be at its limits even with a smallish crew. How many people are you going to have on the boat?

I'm open to either listed or suck gate. Normal crew, immediate family, six total. If all six, total weight of crew is 1100 lbs. Just four, 800lbs.

This information makes me think the 8.1 is going to be more enjoyable while living in the Denver area. We plan to stay in the area for the next five years then relocate to a home on the water or close by one, most likely at a much lower elevation.  

A 247 will take more weight to surf than a 23 lsv and I pushed my hammerhead to the limit.  If you are like me, you will want to hit the limit of the wave and the smaller motor may not let you find it.  Switches are nice because you can add more matching ones or change the use of the ones on the dash by getting a different rocker switch cover.  I would not like the fact that the 07 does not have four hard tanks but you can add a sack under the seats I believe.

Looked at the 2011 today and spoke to the listing dealer. They agree, the engine is under sized for this altitude. So it's out of the running.

Onto the 2007. I received some high res pictures from the 2007 seller last night. The pictures show they live off of a gravel road, in the mountains. The trailer looked like it was sand blasted by the gravel coming off the tow vehicle's rear wheels. So I found the hull pictures of the boat, zoomed in, it looked the same.

Thank you all for all the information. I feel more confident in my search. The shared knowledge is going to serve my family very well. Much appreciated. :thankyou: 

Edited by Circleof5ths