Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ballast Tank Crack

Josh22

I had a eval done on my boat last week and my starboard ballast tank (hard tank) has a crack in it. Do you guys know of any repairs kits to fix it? I hate to pull it and replace with new tank. 

Edited by Josh22
Tried to add photos

How big? Where/can you see and access it?  Before Iwent thru pain of pulling/replacing it I'd definitely try to plug the leak.

Anybody know the tank material so we can guide to the right goo?

Polypropylene is pretty much the industry standard. Unless it was stepped on and cracked, I am betting that the inlet hole might be cracked from a freeze. For anything other than a catastrophic blow out  I bet some good prep and 5200 would fix the problem. At least I would try that before I sunk $400 into a replacement. Looks be da_ned so long as it works.

• Like 2

You can buy HDPE welding rods.  Use a hot air pencil to heat the local area near the crack until it becomes translucent, then apply the rod along the crack.  It is a lot like gas welding where you hold a torch in one hand and the rod in the other.  I have done several items, including a gas tank from a riding mower (fill it mostly with water except for the cracked area).  Lightly sand the area first to make sure it is clean.

A small hot air orifice works best, but you might be able to neck down a regular heat gun.  I have done that by making a cone out of aluminum flashing and hooking it to the end of the heat gun.  The small end was about 1/4", and it worked OK.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, justgary said:

You can buy HDPE welding rods.  Use a hot air pencil to heat the local area near the crack until it becomes translucent, then apply the rod along the crack.  It is a lot like gas welding where you hold a torch in one hand and the rod in the other.  I have done several items, including a gas tank from a riding mower (fill it mostly with water except for the cracked area).  Lightly sand the area first to make sure it is clean.

A small hot air orifice works best, but you might be able to neck down a regular heat gun.  I have done that by making a cone out of aluminum flashing and hooking it to the end of the heat gun.  The small end was about 1/4", and it worked OK.

I had no idea there was such a thing as HDPE welding rods. Wishing that I had known about them when I repaired our tanks in 2012.

I used epoxy glue to repair cracks on the tanks, and thankfully the repairs are still holding.