Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Monsoon 330 manifold drain question

This was my first year winterizing my new to me 2014 T22 with Monsoon 330. I noticed my manifolds were connected via hoses to a tee that then drained down to the shaft seal. This is not what I was expecting to see according to the Indmar manual. The manual said there was going to be a quick disconnect between the connecting hoses to drain. 

Out of curiosity I disconnected the hoses from the tee just to make sure there was no water that needed to drain out of the manifolds. Nothing drained out so I reconnected them. 

Is this configuration something that Indmar did or did the previous owner of my boat have this done? Seems like an advantage not having to drain the manifolds at the end of the season. 

It is a dripless seal plumbing technique I've seen from more than one boat builder, especially when the engine has non-catalyst aluminum exhaust manifolds.  Draining of aluminum exhaust manifolds can considerably reduce the amount of internal corrosion.  Plumbing of the dripless seal can be done different ways, and that is one of them.

• Like 1

I think I have the same thing on my Sporty. On one of the hoses coming off the manifold is a simple quick disconnect like you said then both manifold hoses merge to form a T by the transmission fluid valve and a clear hose runs into the shaft and if I'm not mistaken connects to something (check the shaft door behind the doghouse if you have a direct drive). The guys at Malibu made it sound, as you said, as a way of not having to manually drain the manifold. That said, I still unhook the disconnect part and a little water comes out.