Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Replacement fuel tank for MB 2002 VLX?

19 hours ago, wdr said:

@ $500 for a new 35 gal Moeller on Amazon. A new gasket will probably save Christmas for you! 

I’m all for saving Christmas!  Initially thinking the $500 Amazon reference may be for the first Moeller 35 gallon tank listed that is unlike the tank that fits this boat.  I’m not finding the tank that fits (Moeller FT 3534) available anywhere online, but I spoke with Moeller/Dometic who confirmed the model is active but must be purchased through Malibu, so I messaged Malibu also.  I’m thankful for the tips and glad to have found the gasket and residue above the tank as the gasket and cleaning are clearly needed and may solve everything or will certainly help. Still curious about the tank too…

Edited by JohnWoj

I personally have wondered if you could pull out the tank and the center bag and run a larger tank. 
We boat on a 102k acre lake and sometimes boat the kerr mcclellan navigation system. It sure would be nice to have a 60 gallon tank. 

On 11/1/2023 at 8:18 AM, cowwboy said:

I personally have wondered if you could pull out the tank and the center bag and run a larger tank. 
We boat on a 102k acre lake and sometimes boat the kerr mcclellan navigation system. It sure would be nice to have a 60 gallon tank. 

That’s an interesting idea.  If increased fuel capacity is priority it does seem like maybe a longer Malibu tank might fit with some light mod work under the floor…

An update.  I did find the tank.  Moeller has the active molds and will make it, has to be ordered through Malibu dealer, price is reasonable around $450 plus freight, they collected my hull ID number prior to quoting to verify fitment and perhaps for tracking renewal parts needs by boat model.  I’m holding off from ordering a new tank at the moment, happy to have found the bad gasket and already received the replacement fuel level sender with gasket, so we’ll see if that completely remedies my concerns…. May still do the tank at a later date but holding off for now to reassess if needed.

10 hours ago, JohnWoj said:

An update.  I did find the tank.  Moeller has the active molds and will make it, has to be ordered through Malibu dealer, price is reasonable around $450 plus freight, they collected my hull ID number prior to quoting to verify fitment and perhaps for tracking renewal parts needs by boat model.  I’m holding off from ordering a new tank at the moment, happy to have found the bad gasket and already received the replacement fuel level sender with gasket, so we’ll see if that completely remedies my concerns…. May still do the tank at a later date but holding off for now to reassess if needed.

Permatex makes a sealant for gaskets in contact with gasoline