Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Replacement fuel tank for MB 2002 VLX?

Hello All,  I’m new to the forum and have enjoyed all of the valuable content and helpful tips.  I have a beautiful 2002 Wakesetter VLX with 4XX hours that likely needs a new fuel tank after all these years.  Is it possible to order the original tank replacement?  Model?  Supplier?  I’ve read that the plastic tanks can deteriorate over time with a 20 year life expectancy?  My boat is stored dry and clean and I detect some odor of fuel in boat hull under center access panel to center ballast bag.  Boat hull is dry and clean but I suspect perhaps fuel odor permeating through aged tank and would like to replace it.  Any tips or experience or suggestions welcomed, please.  Thank you.

If you have no visible leaks but vapor detected, I’d look at the fill and vent hoses first, and possibly the level sensor gasket.  As for if the original tank is still available, I’d look on the top of it first if you can and look for the manufacturers tag.  There should be one stating part number and capacity.  

Edited by Nick55
  • Like 2

I haven't heard of any plastic tanks needing to be replaced, or about a 20 year lifespan. Where did you hear about a 20 yr. life?

Where is the tank on that boat? Under the floor?

• Like 2

May also check the gasket for the level sending unit. If you are sure that the smell is coming from under the floor. 
Pull the floor up and take a look around. 

• Like 3
19 hours ago, Nick55 said:

If you have no visible leaks but vapor detected, I’d look at the fill and vent hoses first, and possibly the level sensor gasket.  As for if the original tank is still available, I’d look on the top of it first if you can and look for the manufacturers tag.  There should be one stating part number and capacity.  

Thank you.  I’ll pull up the floor cover to check gaskets and tank manufacturers tag.  I was hoping to have the tank found online and ready to order before any disassembly.  I thought I’d seen the OEM (Moeller maybe?) 35 gallon tank for this boat available online earlier in the spring but wasn’t going to tear into the project before boating season.  Now I’m finding only the 77 gallon tank for Malibu boats that looks similar with the notch at rear for v-drive and fill connections at rear on both sides.  If anyone has replaced a factory tank or knows where to find them I’d surely appreciate any tips.  Thank you, Nick 55, maybe the tag will give necessary details to find one.  Fingers crossed.

10 hours ago, JasonK said:

I haven't heard of any plastic tanks needing to be replaced, or about a 20 year lifespan. Where did you hear about a 20 yr. life?

Where is the tank on that boat? Under the floor?

Just quick Google searches, multiple sources generally say plastic marine fuel tanks can last 15-20 years if properly installed and maintained.  Do others have no problems in older boats with tanks older than 20 years?  Do they last longer (ideally)?  The odor smells like varnish more than gasoline vapor, but I have flushed out whole bilge with Starbright cleaner previously and it really is very clean with no fluid leaks adding new messes.  The odor under floor has led to my suspecting vapor permeating through the aged plastic tank, but it’s just a guess.  Boat is garaged with bilge drained and bottom of v inside boat center wiped dry after each use.  Not sure if the tank is any problem or not but if I pull the old tank out I would be inclined to replace it if they age at all over time.  Tank is under the floor.  Removal requires not only taking off the floor cover but also removing rear seat bases, according to others…

10 hours ago, cowwboy said:

May also check the gasket for the level sending unit. If you are sure that the smell is coming from under the floor. 

Thanks!  Will do, after I finally concede the summer boating season is over. 😀

The tank is not exposed to UV from the sun, so it is probably still good.  I would suspect the hoses long before I would even look at the tank.  You might want to change all of the fuel hoses (including the vent and filler) as well as the exhaust hoses if you change any at all.

14 hours ago, JohnWoj said:

Thanks!  Will do, after I finally concede the summer boating season is over. 😀

Floor pulls up in a manner of minutes, I usually pull my floor panel when I clean the carpets. 
My tank is over 20 years old now and looks to be very solid. No UV exposure helps out immensely. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You might also want to check the anti siphon valve to ensure it is not stuck closed, that could allow pressure to build up in the tank as it is on top of the tank connected to the vent line.  If after you verify hoses, fittings, gaskets, etc are all good and you still suspect the tank I would run an experiment prior to pulling the trigger on a replacement.  If you end up having to remove the tank, I would empty it then fill it with water to see if there is a leak.  If nothing then maybe add some pressure to see if any weeping shows up.   There are a few older Malibu's on our lake, none have a fuel tank issue.  My neighbors MC needed one, thanks to racoons that got in during winter storage and decided it would make a good snack, although a short lived one at that.

Another option to find a tank may be 'great lakes skipper' as they acquire random parts and do have Malibu parts on their site.

@JohnWoj Keep us posted on what you find. I have a '04 LSV with what sounds like the exact same smell in the center locker. It is not exactly fuel, but a solvent/glue/something kind of scent. I purchased the boat used about 7 years ago and it has always been there and never changed. I've pulled the floor out and checked the gasket and tank connection points and they all looked real good. I've replaced the vent line for the heck of it and no change, all clamps are all tight. 

The strange thing is the smell is only in the center locker. If you pop the rear center seat above the v drive and rear of the fuel tank, NO SMELL. And there is no scent, I mean  nothing around the engine either. I trailer and store inside. I've never seen a loss of fuel level in tank or seen fuel in the bilge water.  

Strange....

I have an ‘07 vRide. I noticed something similar in my boat especially in front of the tank. There was no visible leakage. I ended up removing the tank and pressurizing it. The pressure held fine. Upon talking to a boat builder (not Malibu), he informed me that fuel tanks prior to a certain year were allowed to permeate some. There were additional permeation regulations put in place for later models years. I ended up reinstalling the tank. I just leave the center plug out and the compartment cover off during storage. The smell is very mild now. It is almost like the slightly higher concentration of vapors is held in place and makes the other materials stink as well. 

• Thanks 2
5 hours ago, coldwater-echelon said:

@JohnWoj Keep us posted on what you find. I have a '04 LSV with what sounds like the exact same smell in the center locker. It is not exactly fuel, but a solvent/glue/something kind of scent. I purchased the boat used about 7 years ago and it has always been there and never changed. I've pulled the floor out and checked the gasket and tank connection points and they all looked real good. I've replaced the vent line for the heck of it and no change, all clamps are all tight. 

The strange thing is the smell is only in the center locker. If you pop the rear center seat above the v drive and rear of the fuel tank, NO SMELL. And there is no scent, I mean  nothing around the engine either. I trailer and store inside. I've never seen a loss of fuel level in tank or seen fuel in the bilge water.  

Strange....

Your description matches my situation exactly.  There is no odor at all at rear near v-drive and engine.  Just the strange solvent/glue smell in center locker. This is really helpful peace of mind to hear everyone’s feedback.  Thank you.

Edited by JohnWoj
2 hours ago, RebesMalibu said:

I have an ‘07 vRide. I noticed something similar in my boat especially in front of the tank. There was no visible leakage. I ended up removing the tank and pressurizing it. The pressure held fine. Upon talking to a boat builder (not Malibu), he informed me that fuel tanks prior to a certain year were allowed to permeate some. There were additional permeation regulations put in place for later models years. I ended up reinstalling the tank. I just leave the center plug out and the compartment cover off during storage. The smell is very mild now. It is almost like the slightly higher concentration of vapors is held in place and makes the other materials stink as well. 

Again, this sounds exactly like my situation and same symptoms mentioned by @coldwater-echelon, and you likely have saved me much work with the tank testing and research you shared. The tank permeating theory makes sense to me.  I’ll post up anything additional I discover also.  I also leave the center locker cover open and boat ventilated in garage minimizing any odor.  Thanks!

Edited by JohnWoj

Like the others said, earlier tanks had permeation while newer tanks have next to none due to the barrier that is added inside the tanks now. Might be hard to tell from this picture but it is inside of a newer tank with the anti permeation layer. Earlier tanks would have looked yellow.

pEf3xIq.png

On 10/12/2023 at 8:27 AM, 23LSVOwner said:

Like the others said, earlier tanks had permeation while newer tanks have next to none due to the barrier that is added inside the tanks now. Might be hard to tell from this picture but it is inside of a newer tank with the anti permeation layer. Earlier tanks would have looked yellow.

pEf3xIq.png

Wow!  Such excellent information.  Thanks.  I’ve suspected tank permeation for some time.  I’ve been learning from the MalibuCrew for a while but this is the first I have joined and posted, and you all are so knowledgeable and helpful.

I intend to double check all other suggestions, gaskets, hoses, etc surrounding the tank and will share any helpful findings.

I had searched previously for a new tank, Great Lakes Skipper was quick to respond, they did not have the exact replacement for this model and size, but mentioned their closest 40-gallon tank that may or may not fit and has different fill and other connections.  I’ll keep poking around for a new tank but it may be challenging to find a direct replacement tank for this boat model year and that has the new lining.  If anyone knows where to find such a gem, please do share.  Thanks again!

Edited by JohnWoj
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/10/2023 at 8:21 AM, cowwboy said:

@cowwboy or others…  I’m finally finding a minute to try to pull up the floor as you suggested.  Not easy finding screws in carpet.  I found only one so far.  I don’t want to destroy anything with a pry bar of course.  Do you mind sharing any details?  How many screws should there be and where are they located?  After finding and removing screws will I need to use a pry bar to lift?  Is floor cover thick enough that I won’t tear it?  Thanks again for any help.

My 1992 Sunsetter has the original tank 31 years and no issues. Its been garage kept since day one.

With varying garage temps I can smell a faint hint of gas when I remove the cover a day or two after use, but it eventually dissipates. 

NICK55  is correct check all your hose, fittings, vent lines, and anti siphon valve, replace regardless of what they look like.

For a couple hundred dollars DIY . Make sure you order the same product that is in the boat now. I use MPI hoses and fuel line.

This is what was installed OEM.

Your fuel filler hose can be purchased by the foot. Fuel line and vent line sizes should be clearly marked on existing hoses.

Don't forget to order new hose clamps when ordering the hose.  

Pay attention to how the existing hose clamps are installed, take photos. They should be opposing each other, two per fitting ( USCG regs).

Some here order from Bakes, I prefer "My Inboard Marine .com" .

Edited by Rack
On 10/27/2023 at 3:24 PM, JohnWoj said:

@cowwboy or others…  I’m finally finding a minute to try to pull up the floor as you suggested.  Not easy finding screws in carpet.  I found only one so far.  I don’t want to destroy anything with a pry bar of course.  Do you mind sharing any details?  How many screws should there be and where are they located?  After finding and removing screws will I need to use a pry bar to lift?  Is floor cover thick enough that I won’t tear it?  Thanks again for any help.

If I remember correctly there is 2 and you have to dig for them. I'd use a small screw driver and look on the opposite side of the panel from where you already found a screw. Just sort of drag the screw driver around till you feel the screw. 
Just be gentle you're dealing with a very old piece of carpet. 

Thanks. I removed the floor section with no problems after finding the second screw. I can confirm there are only two screws, located at left and right front corners, they hide really well under the dense carpet. It was good to take a look at the top of the tank. I did find some oily/damp/wet residue between top of tank and carpet folded around edges to underside of floor panel. The residue smells stronger of the same odor as in the center floor locker so it seems to be the source of the odor. The gasket and fuel level sensor are old so I’ll replace them both. The sensor and gage readings have been less than reliable so needing replaced anyway. The gasket looks distorted and possibly failed, it is dry at the moment sitting level stored on the trailer, but I can see where moving and agitating the boat with fuel in the tank and a bad gasket could cause fuel to splash and leak up into this area, and even dirty bilge water splashed around in the boat could find it’s way up to this area.  So a good cleaning and a new fuel level sensor and gasket will be applied soon and then I’ll keep an eye on it now that I know what and where to check.  I also intend to follow up to confirm if a new replacement OEM tank is available. Traced the manufacturers tag info from top of the tank. Moeller 35 gallon. Root cause and solution may simply be the fuel level sensor gasket and/or the need for the deep (under-floor) cleaning. But I’ll also follow through to determine availability and cost of a new tank just to cover all bases. Also plan to check and proactively replace fuel hoses and clamps before next season. Thanks, all!