Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'02 Monsoon distributor advance type for EFI engine

I'm thinking about doing some off-season upgrades and toying with the idea of replacing the distributor. Does anyone know if these engines distributors use a mechanical advance or ECM advance ?

I'm thinking about buying something like this: Summitracing distributor

Thanks !

Steve B.

Edited by Steve B.
messed up the link
5 hours ago, Steve B. said:

I'm thinking about doing some off-season upgrades and toying with the idea of replacing the distributor. Does anyone know if these engines distributors use a mechanical advance or ECM advance ?

I'm thinking about buying something like this: Summitracing distributor

Thanks !

Steve B.

ECM controls advance.  Why change what works?  If you really have to change something, start with the plug wires.

Thanks justgary. Over the years I just replace things frequently. Some items like this, are almost like a Christmas gift to the boat. I know upgrades like this will challenge me a little in how to verify timing and know that item is good to go for years to come. 

The distributor simply sends the spark to the correct cylinder, nothing more.  Timing curve is ECU controlled.  The two things that can wear are the distributor gear and the shaft bushings.  A sloppy gear can be replaced, it’s held on the shaft with a roll pin.