Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Do these spark plugs look normal for 600 hours?

Molarroller

image.thumb.jpeg.fb67f8efd499a6c9fa4106f727c59547.jpeg

Just curious….never swapped them out myself before on this boat.  The upper ones under the starter coils looked a lot worse than the lower 8.  Boat was performing fine prior   

Thanks

If nothing else, it makes me want to use dielectric grease.  The only one that is a bit worrisome is the second from the left with water working down the threads, however it came out so you should be good to go.

I did use dielectric grease when I swapped them.  Was surprised it did not look like they used it originally. 

I’m just surprised things were running fine with the way those look but I don’t know what to expect either.  But with the corrosion/rust…..

It is freshwater boat.....I am in Minnesota.  The head came off that plug when I was removing it.  So not before. 

Is there a way to prevent the corrosion?

Dumb question....Would a boat error/warning come up if some of the plugs were not firing?  I guess the question is since there are 2 plugs per cylinder if one doesn't fire can you definitely tell?  I would assume the engine would perform differently but not sure.

11 minutes ago, Molarroller said:

It is freshwater boat.....I am in Minnesota.  The head came off that plug when I was removing it.  So not before. 

Dumb question....Would a boat error/warning come up if some of the plugs were not firing?  I guess the question is since there are 2 plugs per cylinder if one doesn't fire can you definitely tell?  I would assume the engine would perform differently but not sure.

It should show a misfire code to whatever cylinder is at fault.  One time I didn't have the boot seated all the way on the lower plug and it showed a misfire to that cylinder and the engine also made a clicking noise.

I am assuming from the way you have the plugs lined up, the eight corroded plugs are from one side and the other 8 from the other side?

If so, is one side of your engine somehow getting soaked with lake water and the other not?

20 minutes ago, Bozboat said:

I am assuming from the way you have the plugs lined up, the eight corroded plugs are from one side and the other 8 from the other side?

If so, is one side of your engine somehow getting soaked with lake water and the other not?

No.....Actually the ones on the left were all on the top of the engine under the starter coils both sides.  Trying to figure how they would get soaked.  The engine cover is always on and the tray under the cushions covers the engine too.  The worst one was actually under one of the coils that is under the ECM you need to remove to get to it.

5 hours ago, Molarroller said:

No.....Actually the ones on the left were all on the top of the engine under the starter coils both sides.  Trying to figure how they would get soaked.  The engine cover is always on and the tray under the cushions covers the engine too.  The worst one was actually under one of the coils that is under the ECM you need to remove to get to it.

That’s interesting, I would have thought the whole top of the engine would be clean and dry.

22 minutes ago, footndale said:

I'm dense and confused. What engine is this? 16 cylinder or twin engines?

Neither.  There are 2 spark plugs per cylinder on the 6.2L Raptor engine, if I understand correctly...

How do the ignition coils and cylinder head look? Just trying to think of where the corrosion is coming from. Would suggest some anti seize and di electric grease but still shouldn't be that bad. 

Any time there is electrolysis something is going to change.  I am sure even with good wires and boots there has to be some electrical leak.  On all of my welding leads where they connect to electrode holders, ground clamps, or connectors there is always corrosion without any direct contact with water even when using Anti seize.

21 hours ago, Molarroller said:

How in the world are you getting that much moisture in the engine compartment?  What does the rest of the engine look like?  

Also - maybe consider a better brand of spark plug?  I've not pulled plugs that are that rusted out of jeeps that were sitting in fields for 20 years.

Edited by oldjeep
6 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

How do the ignition coils and cylinder head look? Just trying to think of where the corrosion is coming from. Would suggest some anti seize and di electric grease but still shouldn't be that bad. 

2 of the coils looked pretty bad.  Even had a crust on about 3 inches of the end of the coil on the outside.  Was not expecting to replace them so I cleaned them up and reinstalled.  Probably swap them out over the winter.  
The rest of the engine looks great from what I can see.  There is no corrosion on any of the other electrical connections or externally on the engine itself that I can see.  The power stud has no corrosion at all.   

15 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

How in the world are you getting that much moisture in the engine compartment?  What does the rest of the engine look like?  

Also - maybe consider a better brand of spark plug?  I've not pulled plugs that are that rusted out of jeeps that were sitting in fields for 20 years.

That is what I’m trying to figure out.  Why would the top plugs all look like this but nothing else on the engine does.  

To be honest I am shocked my engine was running as good as it was

ahopkins22LSV

Do you happen to not have a plastic warming tray above the engine to capture water being brought into the boat? That’s the only way I could see that much water being exposed to the engine directly. 

12 minutes ago, ahopkins22LSV said:

Do you happen to not have a plastic warming tray above the engine to capture water being brought into the boat? That’s the only way I could see that much water being exposed to the engine directly. 

I do have the warming tray.  And the engine cover snapped in place.  

Makes me want to leave the v drive hatch open when the boat is covered to get more air circulation in engine compartment when boat not in use. 

I do use the boat a lot…1200 hours on a 2018.   Wondering if it is just frequently more damp than normal and that has accelerated this process?

Edited by Molarroller
30 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Do you typically have water in bilge when boat is covered and outside?  Then you have a terrarium.

As far as I know I do not.  Now I don’t check every time I leave the boat but I do look in there on occasion.  The only time my bilge runs when I initially go out is after a heavy rain.  Maybe my cover is getting worn and letting in some water when it rains but that is not that frequent

Boat is on a lift in at a marina.  Sometimes I leave it uncovered for a few hours and go back to cover it giving it some time to dry out.  Now the engine is enclosed so that is a different story.  

2 hours ago, Molarroller said:

The only time my bilge runs when I initially go out is after a heavy rain.

Even after bilge runs and or you pull the plug on the dry, It will have up to 2 gallons of water sitting in the hull. I always vacuumed it all out every week after getting back in the garage. I changed my plugs between 300 and 400 hrs and had no corrosion at all. Malibu's drain plug sets up the side of the hull and not directly on bottom leaving water even with plug pulled. I have a 2020MXZ stored next to my Supra in garage. I regularly Vac out between 1 and 2 gallons from the MXZ. My plug is directly on bottom of the Supra with no lip sticking up. most I ever het out of Supra is 1/2 to 1 quart max after pulling plug. 

You have water in your hull if your not vacuuming it out and jacking the front up before that to get the water to run back to center. You cant do that if your on lift or in water.image.thumb.png.1f01f5d7303c98eaea31c4d14fbcadb1.png

Edited by dalt1