Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Barefoot setup ‘12 Response TXi

braindamage

I’ve gotten a couple calls from barefooters on my Response TXi. I am currently running an Acme 525. I ran it out at WOT 43 mph with 2 adults and 150# ballast.  seemingly, this is just a bit slow.

Does anyone know if there is a prop or other setup that will work for a barefooter?

We have several barefooters on our lake who all run responses.  Mine was previously owned by one of the guys in that group.  Runs out right about where you do.  I run a 515.  

@braindamage & @Bluefishcay - you guys should also compare RPM's as running similar top speed.  I would think for barefooting even for the TXI at least a 515 should bump the speed a bit.  It would be interesting if your TXI could pull a 449.  @braindamage have you used the Acme prop tool to see what their recommendation is?  Key item, what is your max engine speed at WOT?  

Interesting, I didn’t even know there was an acme prop tool. It looks like the 449 would be the recommendation. I may call OJ to see if they have a recommendation.

I didn’t record rpm at WOT. It’s out of the water now, but will check if I put it back in.

IMG_2061.png

@Dare2goBare what prop did you run on your TXi for footing?  Granted, your boat was a 6.0, but would be an interesting data point.

@braindamage bow weight is your enemy for top speed.  If you run weight up there, don't.  I can gain 1-2 MPH top end by taking the 100 lbs I usually have in the bow out of the boat.

I run the stock 525 prop and get almost exact same top end as you are seeing.  Obviously weight of footer and weight/load of the boat will impact that number.  We have no issues and tend to stay a bit under WOT, most of us prefer right around 40 mph.  I guess the other factor is personal preference for speed.  Agree with removing any bow weights you may have up front.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, UWSkier said:

bow weight is your enemy for top speed.  If you run weight up there, don't.  I can gain 1-2 MPH top end by taking the 100 lbs I usually have in the bow out of the boat.

I run 50# in front bow, 50# under spotter seat, and 50# inside storage area along bow. Definitely would have some impact on speed.

3 hours ago, UWSkier said:

@Dare2goBare what prop did you run on your TXi for footing?  Granted, your boat was a 6.0, but would be an interesting data point.

@braindamage bow weight is your enemy for top speed.  If you run weight up there, don't.  I can gain 1-2 MPH top end by taking the 100 lbs I usually have in the bow out of the boat.

@UWSkier

I had the Acme 525 prop. With my light weight of 225 lbs and small feetsies I use to foot at 42 mph,

Boat loaded would top off at around 44 mph with a full crew.

On a side Note, I have a Acme 515, New never used, if anyone is interested. Make me an offer, and shipping cost is your responsibility, 

I'm in Canada,  but could try to Ship from Blaine Washington USA.  PM me if interested 

Edited by Dare2goBare
7 minutes ago, braindamage said:

I’m trying to sell my TXi and I’ve had a couple footers inquire.

@braindamage

Just a fyi, i traded my TXi in on a 2023 21' LX this last June,  my trade in value was what I paid new for the TXi back in 2012.  Had 558 hours.

I was totally Suprised, but then I guess when you pay at the new sticker shock price of today....we'll!  Dealer sold my TXi in two weeks.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, braindamage said:

I’m trying to sell my TXi and I’ve had a couple footers inquire.

I know that, are the buyers series footers or just weekend part time footers? I answered my question, because they wouldn't be looking at a TXI. 

@Dare2goBare how much did you long line foot with your TXI?

• Haha 1
14 hours ago, footndale said:

I know that, are the buyers series footers or just weekend part time footers? I answered my question, because they wouldn't be looking at a TXI. 

@Dare2goBare how much did you long line foot with your TXI?

@footndale

The first year we had the boat did some long line, then just stuck to the Shortline, just really enjoyed the "Glass" from Sart to Finsh.  

And so nice just climbing out onto the boom from the boat early in the season when the water was still fridged. 

• Like 2