Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Midwest winter tow rigs

SouthsideBoarder

4 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Get a GM Heavy Duty.  The IFS is nice.  The ride quality difference between my Silverado 2500HD and my previous half ton Denali is much less pronounced than I expected.  I'd argue the dampening is even better in certain situations (crossing speed bumps, for instance).

I also completely agree with this. Solid axle trucks are not for ride sensitive people. (Again, heavily biased since I mostly work on GM trucks)

3 hours ago, Slayer said:

To an extent, I agree with you.  However, I do know that there are aftermarket options that improve the ride dynamics of the Super Duty.  Carli comes to mind.  If I didn't have a Tremor, I'd likely do something similar to what @Stevo did with his truck.  Not as big as his, but something similar.  I'm sure he can offer comment on ride improvement.  All being said, I'm not at all unhappy with the ride in my truck.  I expected it to be worse than it is.  I don't see myself in another half ton anytime soon and I drive on trash southeastern Michigan roads.  Some of the worst around.

This.  Factory super dutys ride like doody.  The aftermarket fixes this.  My Roush 250 does not ride much worse than my F150 did and all it has is Fox2.0s and different front springs.  It's an easy fix.  edit:  easy fix for 80% of us.  To DRB's point, there are some people who will never be happy with a heavy duty truck's ride quality.  To which I say, get smaller stuff to tow around, or go all-in on reaaaallly spendy suspension solutions like Kelderman. 

Edited by rennis
58 minutes ago, rennis said:

This.  Factory super dutys ride like doody.  The aftermarket fixes this.  My Roush 250 does not ride much worse than my F150 did and all it has is Fox2.0s and different front springs.  It's an easy fix.  edit:  easy fix for 80% of us.  To DRB's point, there are some people who will never be happy with a heavy duty truck's ride quality.  To which I say, get smaller stuff to tow around, or go all-in on reaaaallly spendy suspension solutions like Kelderman. 

I have installed a few Kelderman kits and can confirm they ride really nice. I can also confirm that they are really expensive. Install is not something to be taken lightly either. They usually take me a few full work days to install. And at shop labor rates now, you are talking about almost as much in labor as the kit itself costs.

Edit: Not all Kelderman kits are full 4 link/air conversions, and obviously installing a Kelderman 4 link on a GM truck is a ton of work VS something super straightforward like the air bag kit to replace the coils on the back of a Ram are not even comparable. But I think my point still stands.

Edited by DRB10SEVEN

See, I knew I could count on all of you to be bad influences!  Sorry OP for derailing the thread.

And yes, a bad a$$ 6.7 is on the maybe list too.  When I lived in AZ, the diesel was necessary for the T250 and the mountains.  Here in MN, my normal boat launch is a 1/2 mile away, and the baby F150 does fine with the terrain here.

I am sure newer diesels are better than my dinosaur 7.3 (heavily modified), but when it’s -20F outside, gas trucks seem to be easier to live with.

Edited by SurfNAZ
Autocorrect corrected
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a 04 yukon with AWD. It is extremely sure-footed but the fuel economy sucks.  Have a 13 ram 2500 6.7 with 200 tune and Fleece turbo it doesn't have auto4wd. Don't miss it. Have  hand calcd 22.5 mpg on 519 miles on one tank spread out over 4 days. It's 'ok' in the snow..but 8k lbs is hard to stop in slick cond. Wife has a 21 hicrunchy HD dmax that rides like a half ton almost. Totally stock. The fuel mileage isn't as good as the Ram.

• Thanks 1
On 10/5/2023 at 12:26 PM, UWSkier said:

Get a GM Heavy Duty.  The IFS is nice.  The ride quality difference between my Silverado 2500HD and my previous half ton Denali is much less pronounced than I expected.  I'd argue the dampening is even better in certain situations (crossing speed bumps, for instance).

Or ram 2500.  Coil sprung at all 4 corners.  It rides nice and I can pull up to 16k.  That's with the 6.4 hemi.