Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Swing away trailer tongue bolt

phinz

After reading a few boating sites I am starting to get a little worried about the bolt on the Swing away trailer tongue breaking. Most of my trips are going across the desert and if one broke I would be in big trouble.

I know it should be a grade 8 zinc plated bolt but finding one that matches the current length is the problem. The one I have now is 7 1/4 inches long with about 1" of thread. In searching the internet I have yet to be able to find any place that sells a bolt with those dimensions.

Does anyone have a source I could go to? Any thoughts on getting one that is longer and trying to cut it down?

IMG_0395.jpeg

20 minutes ago, phinz said:

After reading a few boating sites I am starting to get a little worried about the bolt on the Swing away trailer tongue breaking. Most of my trips are going across the desert and if one broke I would be in big trouble.

I know it should be a grade 8 zinc plated bolt but finding one that matches the current length is the problem. The one I have now is 7 1/4 inches long with about 1" of thread. In searching the internet I have yet to be able to find any place that sells a bolt with those dimensions.

Does anyone have a source I could go to? Any thoughts on getting one that is longer and trying to cut it down?

IMG_0395.jpeg

I'd lob in a call to BoatMate.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, phinz said:

It would help if you told us the diameter of the bolt.  The photo makes it look like 3/4".

2 hours ago, phinz said:

IMG_0395.jpeg

Hex head cap screws should be measured from the bottom of the head. It looks like the tape measure goes to the top of the head. If my assumption is correct, then it is probably a 7 inch bolt. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, RebesMalibu said:

Hex head cap screws should be measured from the bottom of the head. It looks like the tape measure goes to the top of the head. If my assumption is correct, then it is probably a 7 inch bolt. 

I agree.  Bolt Depot has them:

https://www.boltdepot.com/Product-Details.aspx?product=7205

I was in a pinch last summer. I got an 8" grade 8 bolt and just double nutted it on the bottom. Worst case scenario, like @Pnwrider said, hit up Bakes and get a thru pin/tongue pin for temporary fix.....

4 hours ago, RCR47 said:

I was in a pinch last summer. I got an 8" grade 8 bolt and just double nutted it on the bottom. Worst case scenario, like @Pnwrider said, hit up Bakes and get a thru pin/tongue pin for temporary fix.....

Probably a good idea to have a back up pin as well.

few years ago some lovely person decided to steal the hitch pins out of 5/6 trucks parked at the ramp , so I have a locked pin and spares in the truck

7 hours ago, Stevo said:

Probably a good idea to have a back up pin as well.

few years ago some lovely person decided to steal the hitch pins out of 5/6 trucks parked at the ramp , so I have a locked pin and spares in the truck

Yeah, that’s how they roll out here in Cali!!😂😂😂

I actually try to remember to check my hitch after being parked at the marina. 

The primary loading of this bolt will be in shear. Probably good to go with a bolt that has a shoulder long enough to go all of the way through the bosses. You could use washers as spacers if the threaded portion doesn’t allow it to get snug. Then use a locking nut to prevent loosening. 

On 9/27/2023 at 6:18 PM, Bozboat said:

Fastenal

link may not work but they have what you need

or try Tractor Supply Company 

Your the winner!! Fastenal has a 5/8-11 x 7 1/2 grade 8, the thread portion may be a little long but it is the closest I can find with all the other measurements. Thank you every one for all the suggestions.

18 hours ago, phinz said:

Your the winner!! Fastenal has a 5/8-11 x 7 1/2 grade 8, the thread portion may be a little long but it is the closest I can find with all the other measurements. Thank you every one for all the suggestions.

But can you buy only 1?  

I need a 3/8"-16 by 7.5" they can get but by the time they charge for special order it is way high $$$$. I can get pack of 5 off EBay for their cost.

Edited by dalt1