Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

My Hyperlite HiFi was snapped… what next?

Slurpee

So, my USMC nephew decided to muscle his way up on the “House Board” which is our Hyperlite HiFi. Never mind he has a lifetime of experience surfing. He was showing off his guns to his new fiancé. Lol. Good choice all in all. But the board cracked laterally at the front foot. 

It’s now wall art. Before I buy another HiFi (which is beloved) I wanted to ask the crowd, “ What should I look at that’s new in oh…. the last 6 years?” I’m not particularly brand loyal. So don’t worry about that. Or looks. Or price. Just solid, fun, and dependable. Marines will be on the old Broadcasts from now on LOL. 

I know you said price wasn't an issue, but this Primo is a good deal.  I can't speak from experience because I have never been on one, but I know a few guys on my lake that have them and they seem to really like this board.  Also to me, for a boat board, this a good price.  I wouldn't want to spend a lot on a board for whoever, every once in awhile to ride.  Those people won't notice the difference.  If money were of no concern, I would definitely be checking  out something from P5.  I love their boards.

Primo is a bit of a tank, more so suited for heavier riders. I would look at the neo or region pro if going liquid force.

I would look at something carbon, you aren’t going to spend much more money but will benefit significantly in performance and durability. 
https://www.phase5boards.com/en-ca/products/23-key
https://habitsurfco.com/products/stock-graphic-tactic (Canadian $$)

Thanks @rennis and @Cole2001. Those are really nice choices. I’ll go nerd out on them tonight. 

I should have said that this is my skim board mainly. Hence why I don’t mind spoiling myself. It’s just what we use for the boat board historically when I forget to throw an old Broadcast in the racks. 

Big fan of victoria.  Their clearance page has some good deals.

https://wakestore.victoriaskimboards.com/product/agent-m-083/

I know it says M is only good up to 150, but you have a big wave, and can likely get away with a medium (smaller being preferable for rail control).

I ride a M factor.  When I was "fat" last summer (180) it was getting a little slow but was fine at 170 and below.  It's been great this year with a little less junk in my trunk.

• 2 weeks later...

Phase 5 MVP has been the best I've tried all around, fast and can roed far away.. you will want to swap fin for something 2-3" deep instead of the long 1" or so stock fin.. super light weight and durable as all heck 

Just had several riders end up loving it last week and we're shocked on how far back they were surfing 

9 hours ago, The Hulk said:

Phase 5 MVP has been the best I've tried all around, fast and can roed far away.. you will want to swap fin for something 2-3" deep instead of the long 1" or so stock fin.. super light weight and durable as all heck 

Just had several riders end up loving it last week and we're shocked on how far back they were surfing 

I agree with you on the MVP.  I love that board, however I don't think that board rides good with a 2" fin in it, at least from my experience.  I tried a 2" fin on my MVP when I got it and I did not like it at all.  Almost felt like it made it harder to ride.  Those "advanced" Phase 5 boards have hard edges on them and are meant to be used.  I just felt like the 2" fin interfered with the edges and the turning.  Better off for to leave the 1" fin in for everybody IMO.  You are right though, it is a fast fun board to ride.  I haven't ridden the new design that came out last year and kind of curious on how different it is than the original shape. 

13 hours ago, Hemmy said:

I agree with you on the MVP.  I love that board, however I don't think that board rides good with a 2" fin in it, at least from my experience.  I tried a 2" fin on my MVP when I got it and I did not like it at all.  Almost felt like it made it harder to ride.  Those "advanced" Phase 5 boards have hard edges on them and are meant to be used.  I just felt like the 2" fin interfered with the edges and the turning.  Better off for to leave the 1" fin in for everybody IMO.  You are right though, it is a fast fun board to ride.  I haven't ridden the new design that came out last year and kind of curious on how different it is than the original shape. 

I know but I'm not able to stop rotating on a 360 haha.. although it's the only board I've been able to land a couple 720s! .

I'd like to take my MVP and hold it up next to the new one didn't seem a whole lot different so hard to justify... If anything I'd try another brand or style although for the past several years every time I have I'm disappointed and want to get rid of it and go back to the MVP.. 

An acquaintance tried it out and was way back compared to riding a G. 

20231003_174545.jpg

2 hours ago, The Hulk said:

If anything I'd try another brand or style although for the past several years every time I have I'm disappointed and want to get rid of it and go back to the MVP.. 

I feel it is what we get used to riding. We are creatures of habit and don’t like change from we know!

• Like 2