Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer

Cochranite

Reaching out to Malibu/Axis experts out there wondering if smart or dumb to use a 2017 Axis T23 trailer to safely haul/store a 2014 Malibu LSV?

Don’t worry about hurting my feelings

I realize the T23 is 5” longer and 300lbs lighter but struggling to find out if boat hull designs/bunk placement on trailer will cause issues with how my LSV will load/unload/sit on trailer.

Of all the dealerships I have reached out, 75% say “no problem, no risk” but its the 25% saying “don’t do it” thats keeping me awake @ night. Hoping someone out there in cyberspace might know for sure 

Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer 

Malibu started building trailers around that time.  I would reach out to them.  When I had some trailer questions they were very receptive.  

I was wrong, it was 2017.

Edited by Nick55
Correcting dates

I personally wouldn’t stress it. I have spent a good bit of time lately under my Malibu trailer and there are portions of the front trailer bunks where the hull doesn’t even touch the bunks with @ 1 1/2” of stand-off. My 2010 Botmate trailer was the same way with both looking like a one size fits all construction. The bunk placement being the difference between models, as far as I can tell. The majority of the weight is supported by the rear bunks on what is the flattest part of the hull. From what I have experienced, the front bunks basically keep the bow from bouncing around. I just got done welding on 2 new front bunk braces 6” outboard from the existing ones which were in no way symmetrically welded on. Point being, if you have, want or need to move bunks around it is an easy job to get them welded how you need them to get a good bed. I bought the new braces online from Boatmate directly and the braces were built sturdier than the factory ones. I think I have $80 in parts and welding to get it finished. I did prep the surfaces and precut the braces to line up with the correct stand off. 

1 hour ago, Nick55 said:

Malibu was building trailers at that time.  I would reach out to them.  When I had some trailer questions they were very receptive.  

FWIW, I think that Malibu started building trailers in either 2015 or 2016.  My 2014 LSV sits on a BoatMate.  OP, I could get you some measurements if that would help.

45 minutes ago, RyanB said:

FWIW, I think that Malibu started building trailers in either 2015 or 2016.  My 2014 LSV sits on a BoatMate.  OP, I could get you some measurements if that would help.

You’re right, just reread my email from Malibu, it was 2017. 

Appreciate all the feedback. Perhaps i am over thinking this a bit considering trailers are generally not perfect fits. Doesn’t help when ordering a trailer, even from Malibu, you have to specify model and year. For LSV’s this technically shouldn’t matter from 2014-18 as hull design is the same. 
i agree it should be very close and if tweaking needed, nothing a little welding can’t fix. Thanks WDR for that advice

• Like 1

For the record, I have tried reaching out directly to Malibu but get redirected to my “closest dealer”

Friend of mine made a good point, “just look at boat lifts, they are pretty much universal” to which I pointed out,”ya sure, but lifts don’t go 0 to 60”

10 hours ago, Cochranite said:

For the record, I have tried reaching out directly to Malibu but get redirected to my “closest dealer”

Friend of mine made a good point, “just look at boat lifts, they are pretty much universal” to which I pointed out,”ya sure, but lifts don’t go 0 to 60”

I have my 1999 SSLXI riding on a 2018 Malibu trailer.  Previously it was riding on a 2007 Extreme.  I think the Extreme was a better fit but the Malibu is a much smoother ride. @wdr comments above helped me understand the forward bunks on my Malibu trailer. While the Malibu trailer might not be as snug as the Extreme, I have found it works well when I use good solid ratchet straps from the wedge plate to the trailer and at the bow D Ring to the trailer. 

On 9/26/2023 at 11:04 PM, Cochranite said:

Appreciate all the feedback. Perhaps i am over thinking this a bit considering trailers are generally not perfect fits. Doesn’t help when ordering a trailer, even from Malibu, you have to specify model and year. For LSV’s this technically shouldn’t matter from 2014-18 as hull design is the same. 
i agree it should be very close and if tweaking needed, nothing a little welding can’t fix. Thanks WDR for that advice

i would bet dollars to donuts that  the 2017 T hull would be extremely similar if not identical on bottom to the 2014 lsv, thats what the T is and they had to have based it off of a previous lsv design