Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

WARNING!! Engine oil change with oil extractor.

5 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Every Malibu boat that I have seen or owned has a rubber hose attached to the bottom of the oil pan that is for draining the engine oil. 

Thanks for the announcement!

One proviso to the above statement - the older ones don't always have a factory oil drain line.  I had to install one on my inlaws 2004 LXI (Black Scorpion 5.7)

11 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Thanks for the announcement!

One proviso to the above statement - the older ones don't always have a factory oil drain line.  I had to install one on my inlaws 2004 LXI (Black Scorpion 5.7)

That is possible, my 1st Malibu was a new one in the year 2000, don't recall now if it had the hose but I'm thinking it may have. My 2004 23LSV didn't have a Black Scorpion, it had a Monsoon. I suppose there may be boats out there now that old that have had the motors pulled or changed for some reason or another. Either way, Don't stick the extractor tube down the dip stick tube.

3 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

That is possible, my 1st Malibu was a new one in the year 2000, don't recall now if it had the hose but I'm thinking it may have. My 2004 23LSV didn't have a Black Scorpion, it had a Monsoon. I suppose there may be boats out there now that old that have had the motors pulled or changed for some reason or another.

Back in the old days ;)  You got to choose which motor the LXI came with.  The MPI Black Scorpion was the better motor at the time.  Factory fuel cooler, better water drain system - but no drain hose for the oil.

Edited by oldjeep
27 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Back in the old days ;)  You got to choose which motor the LXI came with.  The MPI Black Scorpion was the better motor at the time.  Factory fuel cooler, better water drain system - but no drain hose for the oil.

IIRC, That is correct, I still have my order info from 2000 and my next boat in 2004. Seems like the option for Black Scorpion was ~$600-$800 more over the Monsoon. I suppose, "Back in the old days", they drained the oil which ever way worked for them.

1 minute ago, granddaddy55 said:

how they miss that extractor hose with a brass cap clamped up high on the engine lift mount  is a mystery to me!!!!!!’ 

Because some like mine aren't clipped to anything on a brand new boat.  :biggrin:

Edited by dizzygti
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, dizzygti said:

Because some like mine aren't clipped to anything on a brand new boat.  :biggrin:

Same here. On the LT4, it is clipped below the exhaust manifold and not visible at all.

3 hours ago, Ronnie said:

That is possible, my 1st Malibu was a new one in the year 2000, don't recall now if it had the hose but I'm thinking it may have. My 2004 23LSV didn't have a Black Scorpion, it had a Monsoon. I suppose there may be boats out there now that old that have had the motors pulled or changed for some reason or another. Either way, Don't stick the extractor tube down the dip stick tube.

Just a point of reference, I know my 2000 VLX didn't have the hose.  I recall cutting a milk jug and using pet potty pads to help control the mess.  

2 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

how they miss that extractor hose with a brass cap clamped up high on the engine lift mount  is a mystery to me!!!!!!’ 

2 hours ago, dizzygti said:

This was one complaint I have on the M series - I know my Raptor had the cap with hook built in to clip it on the engine.   My 2019 M6 did not and as I sit here, I don't think my 2022 M6 has it either and I currently have it zip tied up if I recall.    Just a small cost cutting measure by Malibu.

4 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

Oh - and the fitting on the drain hose will not fit out the drain hole at the transom, which adds a small complexity to draining it.   

True.  I connect my extractor hose to the oil pan drain hose after running it INSIDE the engine bay through the drain plug instead of running the drain hose through the drain plug outside the boat.   

Drain hoses were part of the engine package as far back as early '90's.  Euro F3 Merc, Echelon's have them.  Strange that the Black Scorpion didn't have one.  That drain tube, no matter what it's clopped to, would be the first thing to find before removing oil from the crankcase.  Shoving a brittle plastic tube down a curved and sharp edged (in the pan) dipstick tube is asking for trouble. 

Excellent post:

4 hours ago, Ronnie said:

DO NOT remove the engine oil through the dip stick tube

• Like 2
22 hours ago, hethj7 said:

Oh - and the fitting on the drain hose will not fit out the drain hole at the transom, which adds a small complexity to draining it.   

why not stick extractor hose down it and jabsco it out?  

30 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

why not stick extractor hose down it and jabsco it out?  

first time i tried to snake it through transom drain and it was the crimped hose clamp that prevented it sticking through fully.  could cut that and put own removable hose clamp...but it also was draining super slow and total pain to get under it when on a lift (i floated over on a homemade raft).  Given that cluster attempt, i bought a basic hand-pump extractor and did an NPT fitting to the end of the extractor hose to connect to the drain fitting (recommended by someone in another thread) and it works wonderfully (and can be done from inside the boat).  sucks out all the oil in <5min with only a handful of pumps.

2 hours ago, CaptainMorgan said:

first time i tried to snake it through transom drain and it was the crimped hose clamp that prevented it sticking through fully.  could cut that and put own removable hose clamp...but it also was draining super slow and total pain to get under it when on a lift (i floated over on a homemade raft).  Given that cluster attempt, i bought a basic hand-pump extractor and did an NPT fitting to the end of the extractor hose to connect to the drain fitting (recommended by someone in another thread) and it works wonderfully (and can be done from inside the boat).  sucks out all the oil in <5min with only a handful of pumps.

that fitting/nipple on end  is totally unnecessary, you just stick extractor hose down it till it stops at pan,  why complicate it?!

25 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

that fitting/nipple on end  is totally unnecessary, you just stick extractor hose down it till it stops at pan,  why complicate it?!

I noticed in recent years the fitting is too small for the extractor hose (use to fit on older models). Now I removed the entire brass fitting and shove it i the hose then just put a regular hose clamp on it.

1 minute ago, pauley71 said:

I noticed in recent years the fitting is too small for the extractor hose (use to fit on older models). Now I removed the entire brass fitting and shove it i the hose then just put a regular hose clamp on it.

wow, still works on my 22  PCM and it was clipped up high too,  i dropped the clip😂, never to be seen again but it just rests in its same spot 

7 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

Because you get actual suction by connecting to the threaded fitting.  Not complicated - easier.

• Like 2

For those of us with the M5/6 engines. Should you happen to do the same thing, these engines, at least mine does, has a “T” fitting that screws into the side of the block. One side is the rubber oil drain hose the other side is the actual dip stick tube. You are actually measuring the oil level in the dip stick tube, not the oil pan so even less of a concern should it happen to you. My drain hose with cap will pass through the transom plug hole. I can’t say that I am surprised that some of the newer ones don’t.

Edited by wdr
Cl
On 9/26/2023 at 11:23 AM, Woodski said:

Drain hoses were part of the engine package as far back as early '90's.  Euro F3 Merc, Echelon's have them.  Strange that the Black Scorpion didn't have one.  That drain tube, no matter what it's clopped to, would be the first thing to find before removing oil from the crankcase.  Shoving a brittle plastic tube down a curved and sharp edged (in the pan) dipstick tube is asking for trouble. 

Excellent post:

Woodski You are correct

The pictures are from a 1992 Merc 350 Magnum. 

A Banjo fitting is attached to the oil pan and the hose runs up to the top of the engine block and is attached via "shower curtain clip" to the lifting eye.

Don't know if the Clip was dealer installed or OEM. I odered this boat from the factory in 1992. The dealer did the first couple of oil changes.

I didn't notice this till I did my own service on the Boat. It does drain slowly and I doubt the dealer uses this method to do a oil change.

IMG_3341.JPG

IMG_8344.JPG

Edited by Rack
  • Like 2

Maybe I missed reading it in the thread, but for those who have added the NPT fitting to the end of the drain hose so they get a sealed connection to the vacuum pump hose, what size and thread is it?