Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

gas cans ?

a2t

Looking for smart way to NOT worry about filling my 25 LSV up at the marina .. now that its almost fall most of the marinas have limited or no hours during the week and I really dont want to bother with margaritaville for $7/gal (rip jimmy).  I can also surf literally right off my dock now that the boat traffic is all but dead on a week day, so i definitely dont want to burn cash and time driving all the way up to a marina that is maybe open ... 

anyone have good suggestions to carry 30 or so gallons on a hitch rack, then maybe just park near my dock and run 50' of fuel hose down ? I was thinking 3 10gal containers and a simple electric pump/handle.  3x 10 gal could theoretically still be carried but it wouldnt be light (rolled?) ... whereas im not trying to move a 30 gallon container from parking down to dock.  The Chinese stuff on amazon looks pretty horrible wonder. typical 1 or glowing reviews before they start a new listing so you hear about how bad it really is ... what are yall are doing for cheaper gas ?

Edited by a2t

I have 4 VP Race 5gal cans. They technically hold around 6 or so gallons filled up to the bleed valve. Carry them down to docks, I carry one in each hand. You’ll need a friend to carry extra two, but if surfing you have atleast driver and surfer, depending on location spotter too, so that should be no problem.

I keep it simple and use 6-8 5 gallon gas cans. I replaced the horrible spouts that come with the new cans with new simple spouts and vent caps that go in the other end of gas can. I put them in my truck bed but you can put them on metal cargo rack for the hitch. Don’t use plastic cargo rack because plastic gas cans on plastic cargo rack can create static electricity. That can be bad! I use a metal yard wagon to carry 4 gas cans at a time down to the dock. Works for me. 

When we go to Lake Powell, we fill 30 - 50 gallon plastic barrels with fuel, and use a high flow fuel pump from Northern Tool to transfer. 

30 gallon barrels are actually not that bad to move.  We use a two wheeler to get it from the truck to the houseboat.  The fuel pump we have would easily pump the fuel 50' (or more) if you had the hose.

I feel like I would need 30 gal since we will surf then go to dinner or something usually .. maybe i can get by with 20-24 gal tho.  Familiar with VP ive got those for my dirtbikes ...

and yeah dizzy i know costco is close (Actually on the way from roswell!).  My goal is to sneak out during a work from lunch and surf and hour before boss and wife boss even know im gone. Surf, then get back before anyone is the wiser :)  Not to mention I currently have no tow vehicle so this beast sits in the water right now.  Would love to gas and go for minimal $$ (relatively speaking ofcourse)

ill check out flofast too, seems pricey im cheap .. 

Kids want to ride. So I make them load up the (8)  5 gallon containers in the back of the truck. Go to my local “cheap” gas station. Then i make them haul them down to the boat and fill the boat using this.  

https://www.amazon.com/REV-Ultra-Mega-Syphon-Siphon/dp/B07FP2CX4Y/ref=asc_df_B07FP2CX4Y/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241896598945&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14326874916700282067&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032294&hvtargid=pla-571956339577&psc=1

There are several variations of this and they work great.  Simple tool, nothing to break or batteries to replace.  I have filled up with some questionable quality fuel at my local marina and will never use them again. I have never had an issue with my local “cheap” gas station 5 min down the road. 

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, CopperDave said:

Kids want to ride. So I make them load up the (8)  5 gallon containers in the back of the truck. Go to my local “cheap” gas station. Then i make them haul them down to the boat and fill the boat using this.  

https://www.amazon.com/REV-Ultra-Mega-Syphon-Siphon/dp/B07FP2CX4Y/ref=asc_df_B07FP2CX4Y/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241896598945&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14326874916700282067&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032294&hvtargid=pla-571956339577&psc=1

There are several variations of this and they work great.  Simple tool, nothing to break or batteries to replace.  I have filled up with some questionable quality fuel at my local marina and will never use them again. I have never had an issue with my local “cheap” gas station 5 min down the road. 

This is what I do minus the kids, but even making two trip for 4 5-6 gallon cans is worth it IMO. I have the 3/4" siphon and it takes roughly 90-100 seconds to drain a can. Been using it since like 2004 when we discovered a 1/2" one. That one was super slow but still no effort. The bigger diameter ones sure are faster!

• 3 weeks later...

I've tried a few different ways.  I have four of the 10 gallon flow fast cans.  They work, but they are pretty heavy to sling in and out of the truck to fill (I fill on the ground due to static concerns).  The Flow-Fast cart is garbage.  It's made to break down for shipping, but the lack of rigidity is a real pain when trying to use the cart.  I also don't love the hand crank filler pump.

I also have 6 or 7 of the VP 5 gallon cans.  I would say that overall, they are probably the best solution.  Easier to handle, and quick work if a few helpers are around.  I know that I often reach for those instead of the big one, just because they are quicker and easier.  I also use a jerk siphon to transfer to the boat instead of tipping the cans or pumping.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
HollywoodBall
On 9/18/2023 at 9:50 PM, Brandonloos21 said:

I have 4 VP Race 5gal cans. They technically hold around 6 or so gallons filled up to the bleed valve. Carry them down to docks, I carry one in each hand. You’ll need a friend to carry extra two, but if surfing you have atleast driver and surfer, depending on location spotter too, so that should be no problem.

Rural King (if you have one near you) has 5 gallon "fluid containers" that are the same as VP Race cans but a fraction of the price. Red, yellow, or white.

https://www.ruralking.com/search?searchTerm=fluid%20container

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, HollywoodBall said:

Rural King (if you have one near you) has 5 gallon "fluid containers" that are the same as VP Race cans but a fraction of the price. Red, yellow, or white.

https://www.ruralking.com/search?searchTerm=fluid%20container

What's the white color represent? Red=gas, Yellow= diesel, white = ? Back when I had jetskis that I would premix the gas for, I got yelled at a couple times for putting gas in a yellow can. I used one red and one yellow because I needed to know which was which as the mix ratio was different for my skis. 

Edited by BlindSquirrel
On 9/19/2023 at 2:41 PM, CopperDave said:

If set up right. This 1” siphon hose will suck a 5 gallon jug DRY in about 40-45 seconds. I bought 8 of these and a 1” shaker for the houseboat  

https://www.amazon.com/Gallon-Can-Spill-Proof-Container/dp/B00SLPYJX0/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?adgrpid=137237411234&hvadid=631496073792&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=9032287&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=b&hvrand=5305352560626420209&hvtargid=kwd-297851093225&hydadcr=13310_13482441&keywords=5+gal+gas+containers&qid=1697561404&sr=8-4&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc

Edited by Sparky450
37 minutes ago, PURDUEskier said:

Is this what you are looking for?  I used to have and use a smaller version.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BYNPDPFY/ref=sspa_mw_detail_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9kZXRhaWwp13NParams

i dont want to lift 225+ lbs in and out of my pick up bed😂🤣🤦‍♂️(or at least out) 

Edited by granddaddy55