Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New to me 98 Response, Family wants to surf some so wanted to share setup and get feedback.

TEC3

39 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Well, the CVP is original and if it hasn't thrown a blade in the last 25 years, it may not now, though with the loads you're putting on it, I'd still look to replace.

Keep tabs on your surf RPM next time you're out, then give Acme a call.  They're really helpful.  I imagine you'll end up with a 653 or 1231, but maybe not.  

Acme Seems to think the 1231 is what I will want. Top speed goes down some, but it should put my RPM's in a healthier spot.

51 minutes ago, wakesonthesnake said:

Bakes marine is a good spot for parts, they never steer me wrong.  Since you are a supporter you have access to a discount code which helps.

Hope that's a big discount.... their prices are the highest out there. They are a great resource to get part numbers from and google for a better price. Profit is not a dirty word, but over double the price for spark plugs as an example is a little much. 

https://www.bakesonline.com/ngk-bpr6efs-spark-plug.html ...$4.69

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=33231&cc=1353327&pt=7212&jsn=10488 ... $1.95

https://skidim.com/ is a little more reasonable, only $3.00 per plug there...

Edited by BlindSquirrel

Don't have a comment on if they are the same plug, I know much of the Marine gear is more expensive because it's meant for marine environment.  But even if it was the same, I'd pay double not to have to deal with Rock Auto ever again!  I had major issues with wrong part shipped, and then getting a return completed was impossible.

• Like 1

I agree with REHinH20, price is secondary to proper parts delivered when I need them.  If paying 20.00 more for a set of spark plugs allows them to stay in business with a real person that know these boats to answer my questions and send the right parts the first time, I will pay.  It is not worth my time to scourer the internet for the right parts at the better price.  I understand if you know exactly what you need, and it is on the shelf downtown, why you would save the money but when ordering things such as marine ignition or fuel system parts it is a better option for me.  They have rushed a few parts out to me that have saved my weekends and have earned a loyal customer. 

I also will stop into their shop when we are headed to Seattle and they are always friendly and will match or come close to online prices on boards and such if at all possible.

Congrats on the boat. I also just bought a Response this year. We owned surf boats before and spent a lot of time surfing. There was some great advice in earlier replies. Here is my take and some info may be repeating.

Your wave is surfable without rope. Lean the boat more or get a larger shaper to clean it up.

Do not put any more weight in it. This boat is not designed for it. I would even use less.

You need a larger board and just learn how surf by spending time on the water. The tip of the board should be pointed to the rear corner of the boat.

You are definitely on the right track with the prop. I would use the 525.

Practice driving and discuss emergency situations with family; especially if you are on a busy lake.

Expl:

Turn oposite of the surfwave when stopping to pick up rider

Learn how to drop a surfer if you get cut off etc...

LEARN HOW TO SKI - you have a world class wake for skiing. It will be your family's favorite sport. Surfing is fun until it gets boring. Skiing will never be boring because the boat won't limit you.

Anyway, enjoy all activities.

• Like 2