Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Power Wedge 2 not working on 2016 VTX

speedyalex

My 2016 Wakesetter VTX power wedge 2 quit working recently. Intially I got a calibrate wedge warning.  I read the excellent prior posts on debug assist and testing while on a trailer.  In debug assist ,my wedge is reading 200. 3.41v.  When I try to move it with + or -  I hear a clicking sound from the  transom where the 6 pack relay module is located but no movement of the wedge.  Under warranty, the 6 pack relay module was replaced one year ago.  The date on my relay module is 5/2022.  The 40A wedge breaker seems fine under the center cushion.  I checked the connectors at the relay switch and the breaker and they seem fine.  I suspect the relay module maybe bad again.  Could it be the sensor on the wedge?  Of course this brings up the question of why the repeat of the same problem.  Do I have a larger problem with the electrical system.  Anyone's thoughts would be helpful. 

It is important to check the system voltage and connections at the batteries before attempting any electrical diagnostics or testing.  They should be at least 12.2 VDC or higher and the connections should be clean and tight enough that they can't be moved by hand.  Check for possible voltage drop caused by loose or corroded connections at the battery switch, the red cables at the power distribution post near the port transmission mount, and at the breaker for the six-pack relay.  Check the black ground cables at the starter mounting stud and on the port exhaust manifold.  Test the voltage at these cable connections to confirm it is the same as the battery voltage.

Check the connector plugs and pins at the wedge harness, and six-pack relay for corrosion or damage.  In some cases, the relays in the six pack can be tapped on while using the touchscreen controls to lower the wedge and unstick a faulty relay.

If all of the connections and voltage is good, then the wedge actuator can be tested with a jumper from the breaker and a jumper from the engine ground post.  Be very careful when jumping wires for testing.