Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Foiling trick list

CaptainMorgan

my wife and kids are foil-haters; mocking it/me with phrases like "its just riding around/boring" -- i tell them beyond just carving around (which is fun in itself), there are lots of fun tricks to try (insert teenage eye roll). 

So I thought i'd make a list of foiling tricks i've tried, seen, or think are possible - broken down by (my opinion of) difficulty.  I'm sure i'm missing some, so by all means suggest other fun variations we can all try. 

BEGINNER (basic riding)
-B1: Toe-side, 1st wave
-B2: Heel-side, 1st wave
-B3: Toe-side, 2nd wave
-B4: 1st wave – pump out briefly to flats– return to 1st wave

INTERMEDIATE (more balance, some pumping)
-I1: Heel-side, 2nd wave
-I2: Ride 1st wave – pump out 20+ ft – return to 2nd wave
-I3:  Side-to-side transfer on 2nd wave
-I4:  Start riding 2nd wave – have boat stop for ~5 sec – ride 2nd wave forward – boat re-starts and continue on the new 1st wave
-I5:  Ride the 1st wave “Bowl” between 2 boats (back and forth between their waves)
-I6:  Toe-side air (grab optional)
-I7:  Toe-side riding of waves 3,4,5+

ADVANCED (lots of balance and/or pumping required)
-A1: Side-to-side transfer on 1st wave (through the wash)
-A2: Heel-side air
-A3: Ride 2nd or 3rd wave – pump out to flats while boat does a U-turn – pickup wave going other direction
-A4: Ride 1st wave – single carve transfer back to 2nd wave (no pumping!)
-A5: Ride 1st wave – have boat stop – pump out in front of boat to opposite side – boat restarts and catch the wave
-A6: Ride 2nd wave – pump out to flats and catch up to boat and 1st wave

PRO (ridiculous athleticism required, injuries likely)
-P1: 360 airs
-P2: Backflips

• Like 2

Interesting list, thanks for sharing it! I've been working on a bunch of these lately, probably won't have them dialed this season....but next year for sure! Your framework will be helpful for me to work thru.

One thing I'd add that is a lot of fun is just getting really aggressive with turns (e.g., just barely breaching your wing tip). I've had fun running more ballast on the 1st wave and carving back and forth hard.

I2 has been frustrating to me. I nailed it once but keep getting my angles wrong. Plus I just don't have great rhythm on pumping. This is the one I want to get consistent on ASAP.

I agree that A1 isn't too hard. Helps to run no ballast, no wedge, and use a MA wing. I also learned that I need to just fly low and really focus on the angle that I pass through the prop wash. If I'm too "horizontal" cutting across, the prop wash really grabs the foil. Better to start deep and go across on a pretty vertical approach and just glide across.

Also, I'd say I4 was super easy for me, nailed it on the 1st try. It's really all about communication/timing with the driver. Don't really have to pump much if you're flying high on the 2nd wave, it will just carry you to the boat (or beyond if you're driver isn't in sync lol).

• 3 weeks later...