Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2021 Tahoe Towing 23-25 Malibu/Axis

Manriqueandrew

1 hour ago, wakesonthesnake said:

Not sure how I ever made it home the 150 miles without a diesel.25LSV.thumb.jpg.6f35bcca058880613bc876fee4d014de.jpg

I don’t know but the least you could have done was coordinate the paint schemes!  

58 minutes ago, Nick55 said:

I don’t know but the least you could have done was coordinate the paint schemes!  

Yeah, pretty bad.  

8 minutes ago, jjackkrash said:

was probably expecting a different vibe

True, I think most are saying the same thing though, he will be a bit under sized when towing any distance but will get it home and probably to a close launch.

45 minutes ago, jjackkrash said:

OP already has the 2021 SUV and was probably expecting a different vibe, but hopefully we hear back on how it goes when he tows the boat home.  

I think the OP has a 245 on order so it could be a while until we get a report back.  Axis lists the A245 dry weight at 5,500.  I have to imagine that's probably low, as Axis dry weights are usually more than advertised.  (right?)

Even if that dry weight was accurate, that is based on a stripped-down boat and weight will go up a lot with stereo options, dual batteries, board racks, fuel, lead, gear, ice cold coors lights, etc. etc.  To me it's a near certainty that boat and trailer are going to weigh more than the SUV is rated for.  I think the only somewhat reliable comparison would be if someone has towed a T250 with a newer Tahoe.  Anyone tried that yet?

21 hours ago, OtherBoatisaCessna said:

I forgot to mention this, but I totally agree.  You buy a diesel for the go power, but the braking is even better.    

This.  Unloaded/commuting my F150 would stop itself pretty quick (for a truck.)  Unloaded/commuting the F250 takes a little longer to stop than the F150 did, just due to having more mass to slow down.  

But with a trailer hitched-up and the exhaust brake on?  The F250 stops everything M.U.C.H. faster than the F150 ever could and it's really not close.   Cool story bro:  We got cut-off while freeway towing last weekend. I had to stuff the brake pedal into the floor not to rear-end the dildo that took my braking space as traffic suddenly stopped (as it does here.)  The 250 brought everything to a stop impressively quickly, and even my wife noticed the capability from the passenger seat.  After she exhaled and her breathing returned she patted the dash and said "good truck."  

• Like 3
2 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

OP already has the 2021 SUV and was probably expecting a different vibe, but hopefully we hear back on how it goes when he tows the boat home.  

Probably not going to hear from the OP until OP gets a proper tow vehicle. 

My 20 foot, 3,000 lbs. (dry weight)) ski boat weighs around 5k on the trailer with gas and some gear, no tower, no extras.  It looks like it could easily fit inside some of these wake boats.  I am a little surprised when I see cat scale slips on some of these 24/25 footers and they come in under 10k.  Some don't though.  Anything over 7k is asking a lot of a half ton, even if the sticker says it will tow more.  Just be cautious folks.  And slow down if you are heavy.  Combine speed, weight, and a blowout, and things can get ugly in a hurry.   

Edited by jjackkrash
  • Like 1
Manriqueandrew
On 9/13/2023 at 2:46 PM, NewMalibu said:

Suggest #1, if you plan to tow that boat any distance, and you still have an option to, get a triple axle. the weight distribution and addtional set of brakes makes pulling my M220 on a triple way less scary than pulling my 23lsv on a double.

Suggestion #2, if you can buy a 3/4 ton, do it. That being said, we pull the M220 with a wagoner. Trans temps never break 200 and we dont have any issues with squat or power pulling over Snoqualmie/Blewett/vantage hill. The only major issue is the RPM and MPG. trying to maintain ~70mph+ over the passes, gets the RPM up above 5k and mpg down to the 3-4 range.

I appreciate this insight a lot. I am on the west side and plan on only towing on I-5. If it is to ever go over the passes I will use a different tow rig. I did opt for the triple axle for the same reason you stated as well!

Manriqueandrew
5 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

I will definitely let you all know how it goes. Im not too concerned as I 10 miles each way of flat driving, a slight hill on the highway, to 5+ lakes I boat at. At least I know it will get the job done, maybe not great, but I’ll give it a shot for a bit. Worst case just end up changing tow rigs if I am not comfortable enough!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, dalt1 said:

E/H helps tremendously

Did yours come with it or was it an add on?  I would like to upgrade to this, I hate the brakes dragging on a long decent into a couple of our frequented launches.  With these heavier boats I think it should be standard, most all newer pickups have good integrated controllers.

11 hours ago, dalt1 said:

I vote for electric over Hydraulic brakes on all of these bigger boat trailers. I am at the limit with my truck but the E/H helps tremendously. Boat doesn't have to push on truck for the brakes to work.

I love that option on my trailer

8 hours ago, wakesonthesnake said:

Did yours come with it or was it an add on?  I would like to upgrade to this, I hate the brakes dragging on a long decent into a couple of our frequented launches.  With these heavier boats I think it should be standard, most all newer pickups have good integrated controllers.

Factory option I checked the box when ordering.

• Like 1

I don’t understand why trailer manufacturers have started making trailers that are actually built to withstand the weight of these new boats. You compare the axles and tires to a 14k dump trailler and it’s night and day. A heavy boat on a tandem bounces all over the road and you hear of axles going out way too often. Or the amount of trailers I’ve towed where the brakes are out of commission and the customer has no idea, they just aren’t built to last. My 2022 triple axle boat mates brakes has had brakes lines wear thru in 2 separate places, the thing creaks like no tomorrow, few nails in tires and cuts in side walls. 

2 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

I don’t understand why trailer manufacturers have started making trailers that are actually built to withstand the weight of these new boats. You compare the axles and tires to a 14k dump trailler and it’s night and day.

It's not just boat trailers.  They all like to skimp.  I had a blowout on my newish 14k flatbed towing the mini-ex and was a little surprised.  Until I did the math on the tires.  The combined rating for all 4 tires added up to about 7k.  I replaced them all with load-range H, 110PSI tires.  I expect them to ride the line maybe, but 50 percent of the rating is damn near criminal.  

Edited by jjackkrash
  • Like 3
20 minutes ago, jjackkrash said:

It's not just boat trailers.  They all like to skimp.  I had a blowout on my newish 14k flatbed towing the mini-ex and was a little surprised.  Until I did the math on the tires.  The combined rating for all 4 tires added up to about 7k.  I replaced them all with load-range H, 110PSI tires.  I expect them to ride the line maybe, but 50 percent of the rating is damn near criminal.  

This is one of the reasons I paid for the upgraded wheels and tires on my trailer for the Axis.  I like the look of course, but the tires are so much better than the standard 14" trailer tires.  No concerns with weight capacity and they track better on the highway too.  Worth the cost. 

54 minutes ago, teamerickson said:

I just weighed my 2023 A24 with trailer. 7400 with half a tank and 150 lead.  

I’d never have guessed it would be that light. I weighed my 2014 23 LSV on the way home from the dealer after purchase. 6300 pounds with 1/8 tank of fuel and nothing else. 

Full of fuel and with 300 pounds of lead in right at 7000 pounds. On a trailer with a GVWR of 7000 pounds and two 3500 pound axles. 

I talked with the guy who works on my trailer and he says all the boat manufacturers build them too light. He thinks it’s for aesthetics - bigger axles would be bigger wheels and bigger brakes - hubs looking like an RV or JJ’s dump trailer wouldn’t go over well on a $150k + boat. 

As an aside, I’ve replaced one axle on my Malibu trailer and just had to replace it on my 2006 Ranger (single axle, 3500 pound axle). I must be at that ones GVWR as well. 

Slightly off topic since it doesn’t relate to the OP, but it would not be difficult or abnormal to use 5200lb axles instead of 3500s.  Those have 6 lug much like most modern tow vehicles so it could be a selling point.  Get matching rims for your truck and trailer…… 

OtherBoatisaCessna
12 hours ago, teamerickson said:

I just weighed my 2023 A24 with trailer. 7400 with half a tank and 150 lead.  

I’m surprised it’s that light too.   I’m pretty sure I remember someone weighing their 23MXZ (what I have) and it coming in over 8,000 with gear and fuel.  We run 500# of lead, so I’ve always assumed we would be 8,500+.  I do know that it drove the 3/4 ton Yukon XL (I keep saying 3/4 ton to point out they don’t even make a 3/4 ton SUV anymore) all over the road.  

By the way, @OP, if you do choose to tow with your SUV, make sure your tire pressures are at their max.  That’s where you get your highest load rating, but more than that, it’ll help stiffen things up and make the rear end feel less squishy.  Also, as a general comment, blowouts are typically caused by under inflation, not over inflation.  

• Like 3

A Toyota Tacoma can pull 20k pounds on flat ground.  It's the stopping and stability in the corners that's the issue. the biggest and most important difference from the 1/2 to 3/4 is suspension and brakes. 

• 2 weeks later...