Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1999 Response LX steering slack/sloppyness

Hi,

I would like to know what are the point to check to solve the issue of a slack steering.  Obviously, steering cable is one but before changing that,
what are the other points to check can contribute to the slack in a logic/most common source order?

Regards,

Mart

The "cable block" as I call it, where the cable sleeve is secured and the inner cable then goes to the rudder tiller is a known area of slop due to the nuts loosening.  I found the u joint in my tilt steering wheel could be greased and tightened slightly to help out...if you over-tighten the 2 bolts on the face it can bind the u joint though.  Make sure the 4 screws at the rack/pinion are tight.  If they loosen you'll have some slop there.

An easy troubleshooting method, get a friend to help by holding the rudder tiller as you move the steering wheel and both are watching the joints (tilt mechanism u joint, tiller joint, etc., to isolate the location.  Given a '99 boat, probably some slop in each area.  Also check the rudder for up and down play, looseness in the shaft bushings.  A bad cable typically results in stiff steering rather than significant play.

31 minutes ago, Woodski said:

An easy troubleshooting method, get a friend to help by holding the rudder tiller as you move the steering wheel and both are watching the joints (tilt mechanism u joint, tiller joint, etc., to isolate the location.  Given a '99 boat, probably some slop in each area.  Also check the rudder for up and down play, looseness in the shaft bushings.  A bad cable typically results in stiff steering rather than significant play.

will do that ! thanx!

3 hours ago, Woodski said:

assuming the issue is in the rudder area, can it be fixed or I have to buy a new assembly?

Edited by Mart99

@Mart99 - You can reduce any play by adding a stainless steel or nylon washer under the tiller and raising the rudder up a bit.  Don't forget also, to service the rudder with some grease, but not too much.  One or two pumps with a grease gun although on a boat that's 20+ years old I suggest pulling out the rudder, cleaning everything and starting with fresh grease.  Heck, you have at least 6 months to service it unless too much hockey limits your time under the boat:-)  Montreal is a cool city, I raced on the island a few times.

• Like 2

First thing I'd check is the point where the cable attaches to the tiller arm.  Get a flashlight and watch that as someone turns the wheel a little.  If it's loose, you can tighten it if you have gumby arms.  It's under the tank so kindof a pain to reach but doable.

Next point I'd check is the helm.  The helm metal is cheap Chineseium and wears out.  I replaced my helm a few years ago for around a hundred bucks and that removed considerable slop.

• 7 months later...
Mart99

Was able to get the boat out of storage. I quickly check the issue.

1.- There is no rudder play by hand at all.

2.- If I go under the steering column and turn the steering (exercise the free play), the steering move but the rod on the opposite end does not move.

So does not seem to be the cable that is giving that slack.  Now does the tilt mecanism is prone to that kind of issue?

thanx 

Mart

Mart99

ordered a Teleflex SH91800P TFX Steering Tilt Mechanism. Will report back.

I think you're on the right track.  I had similar symptoms in my previous boat (Prostar 205).  Like you, I narrowed it down to the tilt helm assembly.  Replacing it resolved the issue.