Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fuel Filters Monsoon 325

I'm looking to replace the fuel filters on my (new to me) 1999 response Lx with the 325 monsoon engine.  

I'm wondering what the part is I've circled in yellow.  I believe the blue circled part is a fuel filter (high pressure?) and then there's another fuel filter inline near the tank.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M3JsZtbNfpv7S80zGqc-Ow8EuDFmMhOP/view?usp=drivesdk

C987612C-BF46-4551-AA0D-925EA72C41CD.thumb.jpeg.4cf6d907c67292af2474d59ca02e099f.jpegThis is what my fuel pressure regulator looks like. Your yellow circled part looks the same, the location is about where the regulator goes. It mounts with the vacuum hose on the bottom. Don’t know what the small unconnected hose next to it does.  (Circled in red) 

IMG_2600.jpeg

Check for a fuel leak on the rubber by the fuel pump. (Circled in red) your fuel pump is not same set up as mine. 

IMG_2601.jpeg

Edited by Bozboat
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, BlindSquirrel said:

It does look all pieced together in there. Does she run well?

It does run mostly run well, the only issue I have currently that I'm trying to resolve is it will tend to bog down when you punch the accelerator.  If you gradually increase speed it's typically fine, but punching it hard will bog and backfire.  I've read fuel filters could be a contributor, but i'm sure there's a host of other potential issues.

1 hour ago, Dkofoed said:

It does run mostly run well, the only issue I have currently that I'm trying to resolve is it will tend to bog down when you punch the accelerator.  If you gradually increase speed it's typically fine, but punching it hard will bog and backfire.  I've read fuel filters could be a contributor, but i'm sure there's a host of other potential issues.

Yeah, sounds like she's not getting enough fuel. I agree, the filter(s) are a good place to start. :salute: 

On 9/6/2023 at 11:03 AM, BlindSquirrel said:

Yeah, sounds like she's not getting enough fuel. I agree, the filter(s) are a good place to start. :salute: 

From what I can gather there are 2 fuel filters, one that we've identified above and another at the back inline from the fuel tank.  Do you know if that inline one in the back would need a different fuel filter or the same one would work?  Also, is there anything I need to know before replacing the "high pressure" one near the pump?  Like depressurize somehow first?  Sorry, I'm a bit of a noob mechanic.  :D

3 hours ago, Dkofoed said:

From what I can gather there are 2 fuel filters, one that we've identified above and another at the back inline from the fuel tank.  Do you know if that inline one in the back would need a different fuel filter or the same one would work?  Also, is there anything I need to know before replacing the "high pressure" one near the pump?  Like depressurize somehow first?  Sorry, I'm a bit of a noob mechanic.  :D

I don’t think your year had the second in-line filter, but if so it’s different than the high pressure one I linked. The in-line is Wix 33033, rock auto has it cheap, as well as the one I linked. Just follow the fuel line back to the tank, you’ll find it if it’s there.

Nothing special needed when changing the high pressure one. Just don’t use a solo cup to catch the gas that leaks out when you loosen it…. Glass is a much better. That solo cup disappears in like 5 seconds.

21 hours ago, Dkofoed said:

Look for the shrader valve on the fuel line near the fuel rail. It looks like an air valve in a bicycle. Take a towel to catch fuel and use a small screwdriver to depress the valve to release the fuel pressure in the line before you remove the high pressure filter. 

That pump setup scares me.  That does not look marine-rated, spark-protected.  It looks like something someone cobbled in there.  If your fuel delivery issue isn't solved by changing the filters, look at that thing next.

Another thing to check is the screen in your high pressure fuel pump.  If you pull that pump, there is a screen on the inlet side that can sometimes hold junk.  If it does, it can contribute to the condition you described. I cleaned mine every season on my RLXi when I had it just as standard, routine maintenance when preparing it for the season every year.  Simple task that only takes a few minutes.  Also, I agree with @Bozboat and @UWSkier.  That pump doesn't look right.  I'd offer to sell you one, but I sold it to the buyer of my RLXi this spring. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/8/2023 at 11:38 AM, UWSkier said:

That pump setup scares me.  That does not look marine-rated, spark-protected.  It looks like something someone cobbled in there.  If your fuel delivery issue isn't solved by changing the filters, look at that thing next.

I replaced both fuel filters but still experienced the same issue with bogging out of the hole when punching acceleration.  I'm not quite sure how the pump is supposed to look/be configured ... can anyone share a photo that would be applicable for my 99 response LX?

Please don't use those worm drive hose clamps on your high pressure side of the fuel pump, it's a disaster waiting to happen.  Get some marine grade fuel hose and have a local hydraulic shop fabricate some new hoses with fittings.  Take them what you have and they can go from there, it doesn't have to look factory.  

On 9/6/2023 at 6:13 AM, Bozboat said:

IMG_2601.jpeg

I'd like to replace the pump with something more standard, but i guess one of the issues is the electrical connection looks different.  The "proper" pumps you've all shown have a wire connector, and my setup does not.  Is it as simple as getting some sort of wire connector "head" and splicing those wires going to the pump into it so it can then be connected to the new pump?

On 9/8/2023 at 1:38 PM, UWSkier said:

Pretty standard pump setup on responses.  Pump is clamped with two studs (different sizes) to attach ring terminals.  

I have had a stumble off idle all summer that I have not been able to solve.  I replaced fuel pump, filter, pressure regulator, map, knock, no fix yet.  Upped the fuel pressure with a adjustable regulator from a VW as it’s the same style.  Better, but not fixed.  I believe I may have a bad injector and am going to send them out shortly for a winter rebuild.