Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Just when I was getting close, I screwed it up.

Imracin68j

I decided to try to time my 2008 Malibu by jumping an and b on the terminal and accidentally put it on G an k.  Now I can’t get it to start, fml.  Where should I start looking? 

There is no timing adjustment on 2006 and newer Indmar engines with the MEFI 5/6 ECM.  The cam angle can be adjusted using Diacom and a CAN adaptor to prevent HVS crossfire.  The HVS is the High Voltage Switch (the thing that looks like a distributor).  Do NOT jump engine harness or DLC connectors unless you are certain you know what you are doing.

The engine harness plug pin K (white/red wire) goes to the DLC (data link connector) pin C and to the ECM pin J3-53.  That is the CANH (controller area network hi signal).

The engine harness plug pin G (pink/white wire) goes to the ECM J1-22.  That is the DEC (cruise decrement input). 

Unfortunately, an ECM repair or replacement is likely in your future. 

• Like 3

It looks like DLC A and B are Battery and Ground on MEFI 5.  If you managed to connect those two, you may have simply tripped the main breaker or blown a fuse.  It is worth a look to make sure you still have power to the ECM before you take drastic measures.

• Like 1
On 9/6/2023 at 1:09 AM, csleaver said:

There is no timing adjustment on 2006 and newer Indmar engines with the MEFI 5/6 ECM.  The cam angle can be adjusted using Diacom and a CAN adaptor to prevent HVS crossfire.  The HVS is the High Voltage Switch (the thing that looks like a distributor).  Do NOT jump engine harness or DLC connectors unless you are certain you know what you are doing.

The engine harness plug pin K (white/red wire) goes to the DLC (data link connector) pin C and to the ECM pin J3-53.  That is the CANH (controller area network hi signal).

The engine harness plug pin G (pink/white wire) goes to the ECM J1-22.  That is the DEC (cruise decrement input). 

Unfortunately, an ECM repair or replacement is likely in your future. 

This is an excellent detailed response sir! :thumbup: