Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2012 VTX Stereo Location??

Planker

I’ve recently posted problems I’m having with the stock stereo in my 2012 VTX, basically it has no power. I have been given some general direction but I’m still unable to make anything turn on. Can anyone help me understand the parts of the stereo in the boat? For starters, to the left of the steering wheel is a control pad. Is this just a remote or is this part of the stereo? Then behind the spotter’s seat is a black box with a bunch of wires coming & going. Is this just a bunch of connection or is this part of the stereo? There is also a fitting mounted above this black box with two plugs that come from somewhere and then go mostly to the black box. So….what/where is the radio, amplifier etc..? I also discovered that when I unplug the black box the boat’s main control screen (lower right of steering wheel, on/off button, lights, ballast tanks) goes dead so this black box has more functions than just involved with the radio. I can’t figure this mess out and before I try to replace any stereo equipment I need to know what I am replacing. So, any direction or pictures would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help.

From you previous post;

Power cables of one of the amps

Top left corner of the amp wall

Sorry this was found to be too general. The "stereo" is the black box mounted in the upper left corner of the board behind the observers seat. It gets its constant battery positive voltage from one the amps' power cable terminals. Same with with its negative ground. Two small wired piggybacked with the amp's larger power cables. The "turn-on voltage that "wakes" the black box up is blue on the boat side and red on the black box side of the connector. Its a switched 12 volt generated by the screen. 

The touch screen on the helm is just a wired remote.