Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Things I have learned being a first time boat owner this year, so far.

redrooster

Do any of you all have huge rental fleets that are renting on your lakes?  There are some great tips noted in this thread.  However, I think the vast majority of this thread isn't talking about 'us' in the folks that have +$50k boats that have been boating +10 yrs.  We are talking about less experienced boaters - or boaters that boat 2 - 4 times a year.  A good indicator that we use: is said boat, regardless of water sport, running down the lake with fenders out....  Not one that they forgot to pull in, but all four....  There is almost enough to be said when you see this.

My ranking of pet peeves:

1. Rental boats.  There are entire IG pages dedicated to this
  2. Jet Skis.  Why.  Do.  You.  Need.  To.  Be.  So.  Close.  
  3. Tubers
  • Like 2
1 minute ago, Five Cent Worth said:

Do any of you all have huge rental fleets that are renting on your lakes? 

Yes, several fleets of them, and all it takes is a driver's license and passing a quick multiple choice safety test to rent one.    Fenders out is a calling card of novice boaters and gets made fun of constantly on the local boaters FB page.   Don't forget navegation lights on well before needed too!  

5 hours ago, bboozer said:

"The Absolute worst is...TUBERS!! Their #1 mission is to throw their riders off the tubes. They are weaving and circling and love to get in other boats wakes. AND...they do it in the best water on the lake! People, teach your kids a skill, not how to ride on a couch behind the boat. "

I don't allow tubes on our boat (occasionally if someone is on the tube filming a wakeboarder)... I am happy to teach someone new any type of skilled water sport, but not tubing... 

We haven't had one on ours in +2 yrs either nor have been asked to get one back out.  And this is true for the entire crew of +4 surf boats we roll with.  Your point if spot on.  Our kids, and all the other kids, don't want to tube when they can surf.  Completely agree on the skill.  It's like Top Golf vs teaching my son how to draw his 9 iron.... (not knocking Top Golf)

Edited by Five Cent Worth

I have been one of those that have looked down my nose at tubing in the past.  I have softened on my stance as I have gotten older.  I met my wife later in life and she had a 6 year old daughter at that time.  My step-daughter was pretty anxious and scared of the water but we were able to introduce her to being towed with the tube probably by the time she was 8 or so.  She and a friends son of the same age had a blast tubing.  I wouldn't want to have kept her from that experience.  I think the problem most of us have with tubing is the erratic way that people tow them . As primarily a wakeboarder having someone doing big sweeping S turns on perfectly flat water is a little disheartening lol.  But as far as that goes having someone surfing in a nice cove in 10ft of water is worse.  My experience with surfing taught me that deeper water was better.  I didn't notice a huge difference in being able to surf in a little rougher water so not sure why they need to plow through the coves that would be ideal for skiers/wakeboarding.   I guess the bottom line is the lake is free and people can do what they want as long as they are not doing something illegal and endangering others. I always try to be courteous to others...especially if they were there before me...fisherman included.  That guy was rude and out of line in my opinion and good on you for not losing your cool.  

Going on a trip to a friends house on Lake Keowee in a few weeks.  We will be up early to get our skiing and boarding in and then chill later in the day when it gets more crazy out.

• Like 3
31 minutes ago, BlindSquirrel said:

To bring the thread on course, patience is what the majority of people on the lake need to have more of. Whether it's at the boat ramp, or in open water where someone is messing up all the smooth water. We are on this marble for a tiny blip in time, and if want to spend it grumpy about those darn tubers... I guess to each their own.

:thumbup:

• Like 3

I went a lot of years without tubing but with younger kids now I reluctantly pull them. When I do I try and go as far away from everyone else as possible. There have been times I’ve told the kids the water is too nice for tubes.

Surfing definitely messes the water up more. I both hate the waves the boats put out but also like to surf so we join them. Just only surf when it is not glass. 

No doubt skiers don’t like my wakeboard wake on the glass and fishermen don’t like any of us. 

• Like 3
5 hours ago, DUKENO1 said:

I guess the bottom line is the lake is free and people can do what they want as long as they are not doing something illegal and endangering others. I always try to be courteous to others...especially if they were there before me...fisherman included.

Spot on. 

:cheers:

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, jjackkrash said:

As a skier, over the years, I have learned not to discriminate against specific groups of lake users.  I pretty much hate anyone else using the lake but me and my crew, including other skiers.   

As I was pulling into the launch at 5:40am this morning, I saw a Nautique 200 take off and head for the prime skiing spot on the lake.  I did not utter a nice word...

But the problem isn't tubers and surfers necessarily.  It's the tubers and surfers who tube and surf when people are on the water trying to learn a skill, and doing so in a way that sends wakes their way.  People are just oblivious that their fun is ruining someone else's day.  It doesn't have to be this way though.  A few weeks ago, back in WI, I was skiing with a crew large enough that we needed two boats to fit everyone.  One of those boat's was @braindamage's TXi.  There were two other slalom crews out that morning too.  This is a small inland lake.  We ran 4 boats at once and never crossed each other's wakes a single time by taking turns, cooperating, and practicing good wake discipline.  Everyone skied until they could barely walk.

Back to the OP... Things I've learned...

Don't assume that someone who owns or who has been around boats naturally knows what they're doing.  Don't be afraid to come across as bossy.  Tell people what's expected of them.  Coach them if they need help driving, etc.  I was out with a new guy this morning who it turns out didn't actually know how to whip out a skier at the end of a pass.  As I was sitting in the water wondering if I'd dislocated my shoulder, I explained to him the mechanics of it.  He got better and better as the morning went on.

No bow riding unless the boat is at idle speed in a no-wake zone.  And NO limbs outside the boat except maybe a hand dragging along the side occasionally, again at idle speed only.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, UWSkier said:

Don't assume that someone who owns or who has been around boats naturally knows what they're doing. 

This, all day and twice on Sundays.   Just pay attention, and they'll prove it!  

21 minutes ago, dizzygti said:

This, all day and twice on Sundays.   Just pay attention, and they'll prove it!  

I can attest to this as well.. I've been around people that sell boats for a living and am dumbfounded by how they operate a boat.

My boy, who just turned 7, is starting to wakeboard but likes tubing with his friends a lot. I dont know what it is about todays kids, but none of them know how to swim.  One thing i do notice is that some boats keep their ballast full while pulling tubers.. we empty ours out to keep the wake down as much as possible, and we keep it straight when passing other boats.  only in open water are carving it up. 

There are tubing boats that go crazy... i have to agree.  

• Like 3
34 minutes ago, redrooster said:

I dont know what it is about todays kids, but none of them know how to swim. 

Parents prioritize spending thousands a year trying to make their kid the next Jordan, Messi, Tom Brady, etc. instead of teaching them the basics early in life like our parents did.  

31 minutes ago, kstateskier1 said:

Parents prioritize spending thousands a year trying to make their kid the next Jordan, Messi, Tom Brady, etc. instead of teaching them the basics early in life like our parents did.  

When i was growing up every kid did swim lessons.   I mean every kid!!   

My kid can swim better than most adults, and can catch a waterpolo ball with one hand already. 

• Like 2

I sometimes wonder if the jerk boaters creating these issues actually own the boat theyre driving.  I lean towards that most of them are borrowing or renting the boats and have very little experience combined with alcohol fueled overconfidence.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, PNWoke said:

I sometimes wonder if the jerk boaters creating these issues actually own the boat theyre driving.  I lean towards that most of them are borrowing or renting the boats and have very little experience combined with alcohol fueled overconfidence.

Borrowed from dad maybe.  At least by us.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Another one. Today was especially windy. We called it short on the water.  I was getting blown all over the place.  Took the 3 wakeboards out of the racks and put them in the locker. It surprised me how much of a difference this made when docking the boat and getting it on the trailer. I guess it all comes down to surface area. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, redrooster said:

Another one. Today was especially windy. We called it short on the water.  I was getting blown all over the place.  Took the 3 wakeboards out of the racks and put them in the locker. It surprised me how much of a difference this made when docking the boat and getting it on the trailer. I guess it all comes down to surface area. 

We were caught in a bad storm 2y ago. Wind was beating us up. Next time we will take the boards down. Great idea!