Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Things I have learned being a first time boat owner this year, so far.

redrooster

Its the best investment in family fun i have made, so far.   Maybe these could help out new boat owners or you could share some tips or tricks.... 

Things i thought i knew but didnt,

1. when coming into the dock you are going fast than you think.  Slow is key.  On off throttle a lot. i tried strong arming it a couple times... did not work.  lol  

2. Try to  Stay away from Jet skiers.   They are 90% out of control. I have seen 2 collisions this year already!!! 1 resulted in a broken arm. 

3. Boat ramp, be prepared for long wait times as well as pissed off people. I don't understand why people are so mad when picking up or dropping their boats.   I have seen the craziest stuff with boats being dragged out half on their trailer and dragging a prop , and again... what is it with jet skieers??? they cant load or unload anything right!!!!

4, pack 2 tubes of sunscreen so when one gets dropped or lost you have a backup.  Sun burns suck.

5. get the right rope for your tube.  I have a 2 person tube and bought the heavy duty 4 person rope thinking bigger is better and it gets heavy and not only splashes 2 lighter riders, but will submerge the tube when they fall off, causing your bought to almost stop at slow speeds. 

6. have sunglasses for just the boat.   I cant count how many times the wife has forgotten her sunglasses.  its annoying when she steals yours and wont give them back. 

• Like 3

I was explaining to my teenage kids that driving a boat or even being a passenger on a boat is like riding on a motorcycle. You not only have to be on YOUR A-game, but you have to be on EVERYONE else’s A-game at the same time. You have to be willing to call it a day if the lake gets too busy or even remotely dangerous. 

2 hours ago, braindamage said:

The rope is the most dangerous thing in the boat. It can wrap around people’s feet, neck, etc. immediately put away any rope before engaging the prop or moving fast in any way.

Agreed.  100%.  The two things that will kill or maim you quickest in a towboat are the rope and the prop.  My biggest advice for any new boater is to think hard about all the ways these two things will kill you and spend a good chunk of your time planning ways to avoid bad outcomes involving the prop or the rope.  

7 hours ago, redrooster said:

5. get the right rope for your tube.  I have a 2 person tube and bought the heavy duty 4 person rope thinking bigger is better and it gets heavy and not only splashes 2 lighter riders, but will submerge the tube when they fall off, causing your bought to almost stop at slow speeds. 

Take that and move forward with it.  You'll grow beyond the tubes.  Just like you wanted the right tube rope, you'll want the right wakeboard/ski/surf rope.  You'll want the right life jackets, the right mirror, the right anchor, the right cooler, etc. etc.  Cheaping out on a lot of this stuff just means you end up with something you eventually replace, in my experience.

• Like 2

Some good tips for sure.  I would add for those using a boat ramp, for the love of all things holy , please load all your crap BEFORE you get backed into the lane.  Kills me when someone backs in blocking a lane and then begins to load 17 people with 4 coolers and every water toy known to man only to forget the transom straps are still attached when they finally do go to back off trailer.  Lol it can be pretty crazy at the ramp.  I have gotten better at just chilling out over the years and being patient.  Getting worked up just stresses everyone out either before a day that's  supposed to be fun or at the end of a day, putting a cloud over what hopefully had been a fun day.  Dang the older I get the smarter I get.  (it's a low bar :whistle:)

2 hours ago, braindamage said:

Jet skis are the bane of my existence. They are horrible in every way.

My philosophy is that in a boat you should never approach an object (dock) any faster than you are willing to hit it.

one safety tip you didn’t mention. The rope is the most dangerous thing in the boat. It can wrap around people’s feet, neck, etc. immediately put away any rope before engaging the prop or moving fast in any way.

Also, never add metal hardware at either end of a tube or ski rope. It can become a deadly projectile if an attachment point breaks. 

1 hour ago, Joshuntnd said:

I was explaining to my teenage kids that driving a boat or even being a passenger on a boat is like riding on a motorcycle. You not only have to be on YOUR A-game, but you have to be on EVERYONE else’s A-game at the same time. You have to be willing to call it a day if the lake gets too busy or even remotely dangerous. 

My 16 year old thinks he should be able to take the boat out with his friends and no adults.  The next words that came out of my mouth were not fit for this forum.    I made him captain the boat while the rest of us surfed and he realized that it isn't that much fun and you better be on your A game.  In Texas you can't drive a car with more than one passenger under the age of 21 but don't think there are similar restrictions for boats (but should be). 

• Like 2

New here but not new to boat ownership.  Over the years I’ve trailered but my family did have a 50’ Sea Ray that was in a slip.  The lessons learned carry over.

1) approaching the dock, never go faster than you’re willing to hit something.

2) no comment besides agree…..

3) ramp prep and maneuvering is what makes you look like a pro.  That just takes practice and a plan.  Just like a plane, preflight.  Develop a pattern of hitching the trailer, walk around and check lights, straps, and tires/brakes.  Then repeat with the boat at the staging area, not the line to the ramp (run the boat on a fake lake if you’ve done mechanical work, or it’s sat for a little while), uncover, blower on, load gear and as many people as practical, remove straps, install drain plugs.  The actual ramp should be for launch and retrieval of a boat, not blasting the stereo while you load 5 coolers of beer….

4) add a small first aid kit.  Or large depending on where you boat.  I actually have a small trauma kit because I am a little paranoid.  

5) the right road for whatever activity you are doing….. during COVID I saw a guy pulling a tube with a clothes line……

6) I don’t have specific boat sunglasses but I’m going to get some.  

The time spent with your family on the water can be priceless. But if the family is getting tired of it then it’s time to head back to the dock. Know when to call it a day. 

• Like 3

I've grown up around boats and been around them most of my life, but this season was my first boat ownership experience.    The one lesson I learned that gets repeated every time I'm on the boat: as the captain and owner, you are the only one who knows how to do ANYTHING!  :Doh:

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Bozboat said:

Ok, one more thing to learn  (update on a previous boating event)

Wonder if it was on a pontoon. Somewhat relevant to our boats, but never let someone hang off the front of the boat (or any part of the boat) while its underway. I see it often, people sitting on the front of a pontoon with their feet skimming on top of the water. Easy for them to fall forward, and no time to stop the boat before the person gets hit by the prop.   

On 8/15/2023 at 10:32 AM, electricjohn said:

What makes me the most nervous? Boat operators that stand up while driving.

I stand up sometimes if it is really rough or crowded ...easier for me to see the wakes and other traffic.  I never drive fast when doing so however...my boat will beat us to death under those conditions. 

• Like 1

"The Absolute worst is...TUBERS!! Their #1 mission is to throw their riders off the tubes. They are weaving and circling and love to get in other boats wakes. AND...they do it in the best water on the lake! People, teach your kids a skill, not how to ride on a couch behind the boat. "

I don't allow tubes on our boat (occasionally if someone is on the tube filming a wakeboarder)... I am happy to teach someone new any type of skilled water sport, but not tubing... 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, bboozer said:

"The Absolute worst is...TUBERS!! Their #1 mission is to throw their riders off the tubes. They are weaving and circling and love to get in other boats wakes. AND...they do it in the best water on the lake! People, teach your kids a skill, not how to ride on a couch behind the boat. "

I don't allow tubes on our boat (occasionally if someone is on the tube filming a wakeboarder)... I am happy to teach someone new any type of skilled water sport, but not tubing... 

True Dat !!

On 8/14/2023 at 9:49 PM, gtfish said:

Same night another crash on Lake Austin and one teenager missing and presumed dead

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/river-terrace-circle-lake-austin-recovery/269-f787375b-421f-4260-bc76-1a627a723661

We have had the DNR and local sheriff on the lake quite a bit this summer.  People have been complaining a lot about the jet skiers.  One of the big complaints is kids that don't appear to be of age to drive them out on them causing the issues.  In Michigan, 14 is not old enough to drive one by yourself, however I believe you can drive a boat by yourself at that age with the boater safety course completed.  For a jetski, you have to have your drivers license and have completed the boater safety course to legally drive one. 

On 8/15/2023 at 9:48 AM, Ronnie said:

3. The Absolute worst is...TUBERS!! Their #1 mission is to throw their riders off the tubes. They are weaving and circling and love to get in other boats wakes. AND...they do it in the best water on the lake! People, teach your kids a skill, not how to ride on a couch behind the boat. 

Luckily our lake has a lot of slow movers in the morning so after the few skiers are done with their runs, we go out surfing (between 9-10).  Some of the times I can be the only boat on the water.  Our deep end is right in the middle of the lake and it shallows out real quick around the majority of the lake so our surfing area is small.   My wife posted something on our lake's association page about a boat pulling a tube last week.  My daughter was in the water getting ready to surf and us and a pontoon with a tube were the only boats out.  This guy turned around the back of our boat easily within 200ft of us.  Maybe he was outside of what is legal or not, I am not 100% positive, but why when there are only 2 boats on the lake and we are in the middle, does he have to get so close.  Later this guy circled around us again.  Unfortunately, there are a couple boats that I have seen do this to us while we have been out there.  Usually the drivers are much older.  Sometimes the older people pulling grandkids are just as bad as the young kids.  Zero boating etiquette on our lake. 

• Like 1