Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

21 LX vs 22 LSV surf wave

mrothwell

Does anyone have any real world experience of the surf wave of the LX 21 and how it compares to the LSV or MLX 22?  I really don't want anything larger than a 22ft boat.  The LX 21 looks great for what I want, but if the surf wake suffers, in comparison to the 22 ft boats, I may look that direction.

NorCalSurfer

I have the 21 LX but can’t compare against 22 LSV/MLX. I’ve been behind a M240. 

For me the surf wave is amazing for a 21’ boat. 21’ is my max to fit in my garage. The flat to wake transition is very nice. I did go 550 lbs each rear locker pnp and have 100 lbs of lead in front observers compartment, 100 lbs in battery compartment, and 50 lbs in driver helm. I can have a great wake with just driver and observer. 5-6 people in the boat is ideal. I run the wedge at 3-4 and about 11 mph. I’d consider myself intermediate rider. Novice I go 2-3 on wedge and 10.6-10.8 mph. 

I’ll follow up with some photos in the coming days. 

58 minutes ago, NorCalSurfer said:

I have the 21 LX but can’t compare against 22 LSV/MLX. I’ve been behind a M240. 

I’ll follow up with some photos in the coming days. 

Thanks, I appreciate that.

NorCalSurfer

Something to note about the LX, which was extremely frustrating to me, is they try to keep this a budget boat, which is a joke, so they limit the options available. If you don’t care about options then you’re good. You can get the M6 which I did and I’m glad I did. 

NorCalSurfer

Here’s a video of me today. I am on a Soulcraft Jam Master so it does require a little work. I had a VooDoo prior that really had a lot of push. I’m going 10.7 mph and PW at 3. 

The second video is a buddy of mine getting some air. 

ahopkins22LSV

22LSV wave for comparison. This is 11mph, wedge 3, full ballast plus 570 plug in plays, 300 in lead in the bow. 

I have also driven a 21LX during an event and people were quite impressed with the wave. I don’t think any boat in the Malibu line up is going to produce a “bad or disappointing” wave anymore. It will more come down to budget and space constraints. Personally if you have tow, store and budget the 22LSV, I would. We jumped from the vtx this year and the added freeboard, storage and interior space is so much nicer. 

I have the VTX now.  I'm not a fan, for any reason, of the big boats.  That's why I'm looking at the LX or a 22 LSV/MLX.  Thanks for the vids and the information.

Just out of curiosity, since I know you were a skier behind your VTX, is the 22 LSV an "OK" ski boat?  Honestly, I just dont get my ski out very often any more, but would still like the option.  That's why I bought my VTX to begin with, 16 years ago.

ahopkins22LSV
9 minutes ago, mrothwell said:

I have the VTX now.  I'm not a fan, for any reason, of the big boats.  That's why I'm looking at the LX or a 22 LSV/MLX.  Thanks for the vids and the information.

Just out of curiosity, since I know you were a skier behind your VTX, is the 22 LSV an "OK" ski boat?  Honestly, I just dont get my ski out very often any more, but would still like the option.  That's why I bought my VTX to begin with, 16 years ago.

Well, I haven’t skied in general since fall 2021. I dislocated my shoulder last may and took the whole season off. And this year I haven’t made time. I think the 22LSV would be perfectly fine for open water have fun skiing. I don’t think you’d be able to ski it like a vtx though. 

4 hours ago, ahopkins22LSV said:

Well, I haven’t skied in general since fall 2021. I dislocated my shoulder last may and took the whole season off. And this year I haven’t made time. I think the 22LSV would be perfectly fine for open water have fun skiing. I don’t think you’d be able to ski it like a vtx though. 

Yeah, I know the feeling.  I took 2021 off from skiing after breaking my ankle, it's hard to get back into when you're old and brittle.  But I still enjoy a nice open water run.