Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer options for a 247 LSV

Nick55

Hey all, I'm new here.  I posted a WTB ad recently looking for a trailer for a 247 LSV.  I am in process of purchasing a boat that doesn't have a trailer and the dealer has been trying to sell me a universal fit model they have in stock.  Since I tow a good amount and am most concerned with fit and safety, I have approached several builders, including Boatmate, Loadmaster, and Phoenix.  Boatmate essentially pushed me to a dealer which happens to be a competitor of the one selling the boat when I had some questions about spec'ing, Phoenix and Loadmaster were willing to at least talk with me but the quotes for all three have been eye-watering to say the least ($10,900-13,900 as basic trailers, no fancy wheels or lights).  I understand finding a used trailer for a boat that's been out of production this long is very unlikely, but I figured someone here might be able to advise, are there any other Malibus with the same hull?  I know it's a V25 Diamond hull on the 247, but will any newer models use trailers that will fit, like a 25LSV or anything?  Secondly, I've been spec'ing a tandem axle trailer expecting a 6700lb boat (figure full fuel and gear) to assume some conservative loading, but does tongue weight become too low if I were to find a triple axle?  I think Boatmate built a few for the 247.  I could use some input on my issues.  

Nick

33 minutes ago, Nick55 said:

the dealer has been trying to sell me a universal fit model they have in stock.

Does the boat fit that trailer?  You want a vee trailer with a prop cage.

A fitment guide:

1. Measure the length from bow eye to transom.  This will be the same for boats in that size range.
  2. Measure the width that the fenders have to clear.  This will be the same for modern wake boats.
  3. Decide how much road clearance you need for the frame.  This is particularly important for inboards, where the prop cage is going to take the beating.  For springs, under- or over-sling the axles.  For torsion, clock the spindles accordingly.
  4. Put the boat on the trailer. 
  5. Adjust the bunks.  Maybe a roller also.

Are you overthinking this?

Maybe I am overthinking it, but the trailer they have does not have a prop cage or a cutout to fit the prop and rudder, so they want to set it up higher on the trailer...... I had one universal trailer in my past and it was awful no matter what we did to adjust it, the rest have all been made to fit a specific boat, and I've had good luck with those.  

I looked at that but the bunks will all have to be cut and refit, which I can’t really do before picking the boat up.  So I’m still looking at buying.  

Does anybody know what the approximate tongue weight is of a Wakesetter 247 on a tandem and a triple axle?  

On 8/15/2023 at 2:46 PM, Nick55 said:

I looked at that but the bunks will all have to be cut and refit

I would kind of expect the hulls to be mostly the same.  Mostly the same to me means put the boat on the trailer and enjoy it.

• 4 months later...

@Nick55 not sure if you ended up buying the 247, but as a point of reference, I sold my 247 in the fall and have a deposit on a 2022 23 LSV.  The '22 does not have a trailer. I had the selling dealer give me a quote on a new Malibu trailer for the 2022 and they quote was $8,600 and change for a tandem axle trailer.  

Good luck!

-- Mike

After going back and forth with the (Malibu) dealer about this boat I was looking at, and getting multiple quotes, I elected to purchase a 23LSV locally.   The 247 was in amazing shape but didn’t run after they replaced the engine for freeze damage.  So the boat was priced as needing an engine but with no trailer I needed something to tow it from New Hampshire to my place and I couldn’t make all the logistics work.  I got quotes for a Boatmate $13k with basic equipment, no big wheels and such, a Loadmaster loaded heavy with options for $11.5k, and a galvanized Venture universal that needed to to be adjusted to fit (and didn’t have an inboard configuration) for $8k.  I could have gotten the boat and trailer for $10k less than this one I got but I’d still have to deal with the engine and this one has a fresh interior by Gabe as well as (unbeknownst to me until my sea trial) a new engine as well due to freeze damage.  I got it from Gordy’s in Fontana, WI for not the absolute best deal but it was a rather painless experience and they addressed everything I had marked from the sea trial except the gelcoat scratches.