Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2017 Axis SP2 amp problems?

longlake

I am not much of an audio guy, but we just developed a problem with our tower speakers yesterday.  The sound system has worked flawlessly since we bought it new in 2017 and yesterday the tower speakers are not nearly as loud as they used to be.  Not sure how to describe it but besides not being nearly as loud as it used to be, and you cannot hear the vocals anymore either coming out of any of the tower speakers (sorry for the poor explanation).  All the interior speakers are working as they should just the tower speakers are not.  I am assuming that I have a problem with the amp that is driving the tower speakers?  If it is a problem with the amp again, I am assuming I will need to replace the amp?  Thanks for any assistance anyone can provide.

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought I would check in again and see if anyone has any insight on what my problem is here.  Since I have posted this, I have had some days that the tower speakers work fine and other days I get almost no sound out of them, sometimes they even come in and out on the same day.  Just wondering if I am looking at a new amp or new head unit? 

What you describe sounds like the tweeters have shut down. Since this is only effecting the tower zone, I would not suspect the media unit. I would also not suspect a wiring issue in the pods. Too random. If the tweeters or the crossovers are blown, an ohm meter would show it. With the speaker wires disconnected form the amp, each pod should measure around 4.0 ohm give or take a couple tenths of an ohm. 

Thanks for the feedback, guys! 

I will check the speakers for the ohm readings and see if that is it.  If the tweeters or the crossovers are blown, would they work some days and not others? 

It has been fairly hot here lately on the days I have had the problems.  I really don’t have anything in the compartment that houses the amps, but I thought they might be overheating.  A couple of days I did run with the seatback open to get some more air flow to them as well, the tower speakers worked for a while and then stopped working again.  I shut the boat down and got them to work for awhile upon restart before they quit again, perhaps they are overheating?