Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best surf rope and why?

REHinH20

I've got the old thick yellow Liquid Force that has big knots (circa 2003?). I don't mind it, but women don't like it much. And it almost broke a friends pinky once (he was drinking).

We have a traditional rope and a joystick on the boat.  The Joystick has a thicker handle which can be a problem for some riders but the adjustable bungee is nice.  Not everyone knows it's adjustable but you can get it dialed in just right so it lands on the platform and washes back into the water when you stop so no one has to mess with the rope.

Will have to look into a joystick.  Currently have a T-handle, that has a thick braided rope - this gives newbies something to grab onto and pull themselves into the sweet spot.  I don't like the "T" part as well.  The traditional one I have includes a narrow handle, but the rope itself is just normal ski-rope, so if someone is learning there isn't anything substantial for them to grab to pull themselves forward, that's when they want to start "wrapping it up", and that is a no-no on my boat.

Edited by REHinH20
typo

The one thing I noticed and didn't like about the joystick is it that kinetic energy pull.  Since that rope as bungee in it, it will stretch and then kind give you a hard jerk out of the water.  Because of that I haven't used mine that much.  Also, it was a pain to adjust.  When I would let go expecting it to just land back in the boat as advertised, it didn't.  I made an adjustment and it still didn't land back in the boat on my next try so I gave up on it.  You can adjust it from either end of the rope and not sure if adjusting from one end over the other makes the difference.  Maybe I did the wrong end. :dontknow:

• 2 months later...

i use the proline red color with the small traditional handle, its 22.5 inc handle . we remove the front section snd have a 19.5 footer that's just perfect.  Perfect rope length to “surf in” and not gather the rope.

we throw it on the platform or on other side of wave to drag (i refuse to do rope tending from boat - what a pain the butt). its a perfect length snd swings right to the surfer when approaching him swinging our transom to the surfer  

Edited by granddaddy55

Going to look at the joystick, but what are the group’s thoughts on the Ronix bungee with the small handle?  I’m just getting into surfing with the family after decades of skiing.  

I’m not a fan of the joystick, hard for beginners to hold and will go shooting into the boat when a heavy riders lets go. 
Ronix surf ropes are complete garbage, the handle falls apart after 1 season and the metal becomes exposed. 

Look at the hyperlite rope with the foam handle. I’ve had mine for 4 years with probably 600 plus hours. The foam handle is also nice when tossing the rope and not worrying about hitting anyone. 
https://www.amazon.com/Hyperlite-Pro-Surf-Rope-Handle/dp/B0C1DPG485

Joystick didn't workout so well in my boat.  We do a lot of teaching newbies and young kids and for some reason they would turn that rope into a slingshot.  Often times slinging the rope like a missile at the boat occupants.  I loved it because I never fall using the rope, but wasn't good for less experienced riders.  

Wanted to update - I purchased the Joystick on the recommendation of @BDFD1206 - No one on my boat wants to use it.  We finally got the bungee inside adjusted, but the "slingshot effect", mentioned by @Hemmy and @PopsA22, is too much to overcome.  Maybe we've used a static line too long and just can't make the adjustment, but wither way it wasn't worth the cost for me.  Thought this might help someone in my same position.  I think it's just too hard to switch from Static to Bungee and be happy!

Following. We have an older bungee rope (not nearly as stretchy as it sounds like the joystick is) and the shock absorption is definitely underwhelming.  The floats are going bad and our rope will eventually sink, so its probably time for a new one.

I like a LONG rope.  I'm pretty sure ours is 30', but it could be 25.  When foiling I'm usually going a little faster and want to be a little farther from the boat (bonus feet achieved by starting from pylon vs. tower too).  I also like sections in the rope so I can choke the rope up a bit (for the newbs... when surfing, I def appreciate "surfing in" from the back of the pocket rather than feeling like I'm starting on the platform).

I like the idea of that ronix swivel, but it seems like (a) it would have to be overridden if the rope gets choked up by a segment on the tower and (b) the swivel's potential impact on the sun pad would likely worry me if pulling from the pylon.

Edited by shawndoggy
  • 3 weeks later...
HollywoodBall
On 8/4/2023 at 11:56 AM, BDFD1206 said:

Joystick for the safety of your riders.

Can someone explain to me like I'm 5 years old how this rope adds "safety?"  Not being facetious.  Serious question.  Because on the surface this sounds like BS.

3 minutes ago, HollywoodBall said:

Can someone explain to me like I'm 5 years old how this rope adds "safety?"  Not being facetious.  Serious question.  Because on the surface this sounds like BS.

I assume it's because there is nothing to get your arm caught on if you fall. I had a rider fall and her arm went through the triangle of the rope and handle and got wedged. She was dragged under for a little and bruised a bit. 

• Like 2

Having ridden with this, I'm not sure the assumption comes through to reality.  I don't think it's any safer than any other T-handle.  And, if the bungee action makes you fall more often getting up, then it can't be as safe...no one gets hurt if they get up and stay up! :biggrin:

7 hours ago, HollywoodBall said:

It's different than other ropes with handles because of its use case.  When surfing you are are "choking up" on the rope to pull yourself into the sweet spot of the wake.  This action leaves the end of the rope dangling and bouncing around  under and behind you.  This introduces the risk of the rider getting caught in it so the solution is to limit the foot print of the end of the rope compared to other ropes.

13 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

^^^ I absolutely HATE seeing people "pull themselves in" on the rope.  It's dangerous and unnecessary.  The rope should put the rider into a surfable point on the wake.  If it's too long, shorten the rope at the tow point.  If your WAVE is long and powerful, riders should be able to "surf in" from the end of the rope.  If they are pulling themselves into the pocket, the rope is too long and should be shortened.  

I'm kindof a jerk when I see people choking up (and especially coiling) the rope on my boat.  It's not necessary and it's dangerous.

For riders who can't control their location in the pocket (i.e. shoot at the boat, stomp on back of board, go out the back, get shoulders dislocated trying to stay in on a slack rope), I try to work with them by having someone in the boat manage their slack and slowly feed it back out the rider as necessary.  Still no choking up tho.

I have corrected people from choking up as well.  I also tell them, if you are needing to choke up, you are surfing.  If they are choking up they are getting push from the wave.  Time to toss the rope at that point.

LOL! Wow guys!  Really?! This makes your list of dangerous activities behind your boat??   Y'all would have a coronary and drop dead if you saw some of the other stunts we pull behind the boat over the years.:biggrin:  Obviously you don't need to choke up on the braid if you know what you are doing (hell some of us don't even use a rope, and just drop off the platform) but I find it very helpful for new surfers to feel out the wave in different positions when they are learning.   Young surfers we have someone manage the rope and position from the boat, but adults??.... yeah, using the braid is a good way to manage your position while learning.  Honestly, I'm surprise to hear the dissension on this, in all the surfing that happens on our lake and even other lakes we visit, this is common practice and until now never heard anyone express this issue.  I mean its the very reason surf ropes have a braid and small handles.  Hey, no judgement though, you do you. :thumbup:

Edited by lake4life
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1